Military "CHIEF" rating to go away

You may be relieved to know the US Navy/Marines are searching for a new name for ''Chief" such as ''Sgt First Elitist" or some such so as not to offend Native Americans… Mabey we should be thinking of something else to call the CME?

Personally I think that Green Bay should move the team to San Francisco. Just sayin’.

The etymology of the word “chief” is not associated with any of the Native American languages.

[QUOTE=jimrr;147308]You may be relieved to know the US Navy/Marines are searching for a new name for ''Chief" such as ''Sgt First Elitist" or some such so as not to offend Native Americans… Mabey we should be thinking of something else to call the CME?[/QUOTE]

God, I hope this is all untrue.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147344]God, I hope this is all untrue.[/QUOTE]

it’s the EFFING touchy feelie US Navee of 2014…of course it is true…

I am just grateful that Bill Halsey isn’t alive to see what has become of the world’s most awesome naval fighting force…he’d DETONATE for sure!

This PC shit is making everyone vomit. A Navy chief is the one that makes it happen on a ship, the enlisted man’s true leader. If the Navy is going to roll over and come up with some immasculated new rank title to appease every last whim of the PC crowd then what? Admirals need to resign and retire in protest. Enough is enough.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;147363]This PC shit is making everyone vomit. A Navy chief is the one that makes it happen on a ship, the enlisted man’s true leader. If the Navy is going to roll over and come up with some immasculated new rank title to appease every last whim of the PC crowd then what? Admirals need to resign and retire in protest. Enough is enough.[/QUOTE]

That’s not even the half of it. What about first, second and third class petty officers? How is that supposed to make them feel? Especially a Third Class Petty Officer, what does that title do for self-estem? And that is supposed to be a step up from Seaman?

I think it’s bullshit!

I’m still lookin up “etymology”.

chief (n.)
c.1300, “head, leader, captain; the principal or most important part of anything;” from Old French chief “leader, ruler, head” of something, “capital city” (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum, from Latin caput “head,” also “leader, chief person; summit; capital city” (see capitulum). Meaning “head of a clan” is from 1570s; later extended to American Indian tribes. Commander-in-chief attested from 1660s.

If it were true that words like “chief” (or other words like “tribe”) that are from Latin were thought offensive then logically they would ask others to stop using it as applied to them, not insist that others stop using it for other original meanings. The OP is pure BS.

[QUOTE=jimrr;147308]You may be relieved to know the US Navy/Marines are searching for a new name for ''Chief" such as ''Sgt First Elitist" or some such so as not to offend Native Americans… Mabey we should be thinking of something else to call the CME?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a just another rumor or a bad urban legend email like those I sometimes find in my spam folder. I usually delete those without bothering to take the time to read them. Ranks right up there (or maybe down there) with “imminent raises at Chouest”.

^^^ I guess I fell for it. Good way to get me stirred up though. Fact being that the politically correct zealots would probably say “what a great idea”.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;147382]^^^ I guess I fell for it. Good way to get me stirred up though. Fact being that the politically correct zealots would probably say “what a great idea”.[/QUOTE]

I thought your remarks about Navy Chiefs were on the money.

Perhaps you shouldn’t get your news from the Duffle Blog.