Merchant vs U.S. Navy

First let me start off by saying thanks in advance for offering me some insight on the questions I have. Here’s a little background.
I am due to reenlist on active duty in roughly 21 months, here’s my deal. This reenlistment will be the one to put me over the 10 year mark if I decide to stay in, so naturally I have been giving some consideration to what is out there in the outside world. The Navy hasn’t been a bad experience at all, not considering getting out because “i hate this shit” or anything like that. It’s just after 9 years, and 5 geographical change of stations I feel like settling down in one area for my wife and daughters would be great. We’ve moved every 2 years since I’ve been enlisted. It’s not so much the deployments, but it’s the constant uprooting of my daughters which hits me hard sometimes.
I have been increasingly interested in what a career as a merchant (or civilian) mariner could offer someone like me. Here’s my background, Petty Officer 1st Class, Engineering Officer of the Watch (Gas Turbine) qualified, Machinist, Quality Assurance Inspector, HAZMAT program manager, Gas Free Engineer, Electrical Plant Control Console Operator.
I don’t know how much of this holds any weight, but I am definitely interested to see if monetarily it would be worth making the jump. I appreciate all of your help!

[QUOTE=Chris867;164645]First let me start off by saying thanks in advance for offering me some insight on the questions I have. Here’s a little background.
I am due to reenlist on active duty in roughly 21 months, here’s my deal. This reenlistment will be the one to put me over the 10 year mark if I decide to stay in, so naturally I have been giving some consideration to what is out there in the outside world. The Navy hasn’t been a bad experience at all, not considering getting out because “i hate this shit” or anything like that. It’s just after 9 years, and 5 geographical change of stations I feel like settling down in one area for my wife and daughters would be great. We’ve moved every 2 years since I’ve been enlisted. It’s not so much the deployments, but it’s the constant uprooting of my daughters which hits me hard sometimes.
I have been increasingly interested in what a career as a merchant (or civilian) mariner could offer someone like me. Here’s my background, Petty Officer 1st Class, Engineering Officer of the Watch (Gas Turbine) qualified, Machinist, Quality Assurance Inspector, HAZMAT program manager, Gas Free Engineer, Electrical Plant Control Console Operator.
I don’t know how much of this holds any weight, but I am definitely interested to see if monetarily it would be worth making the jump. I appreciate all of your help![/QUOTE]

Right now is a tough time to break in. If you decide to give it a shot now or later, going the engineering route would be better with the background you have. Also, in general, there’s usually more of a need for engineers.

I don’t know what an E-6 makes with sea pay plus whatever BOQ/BAQ you get, but monetarily civilian work is almost always better than government work. With your background you should be able to get your 3rd Asst license which would put you in a pretty nice pay bracket. As stated above, getting started right now is tough, but if you like blue water and long hitches you probably wouldn’t have any trouble.

Best thing my mom ever did was insist my dad stayed in for full 20 plus a couple. Several reserve but enough to get retirement benefits. Paying off in spades now as full medical including meds. A check every month. Military flights to anywhere in the world. Exchange and commissary privileges. Do your 20 and get out you will retire T least e-8. And collect a check the rest of your life. Probably able to go to school and then go merchant if you choose. Mom and dad are living very comfortably in Hawaii now and enjoying retirement. Just my thoughts.

[QUOTE=dacook;164671]Best thing my mom ever did was insist my dad stayed in for full 20 plus a couple. Several reserve but enough to get retirement benefits. Paying off in spades now as full medical including meds. A check every month. Military flights to anywhere in the world. Exchange and commissary privileges. Do your 20 and get out you will retire T least e-8. And collect a check the rest of your life. Probably able to go to school and then go merchant if you choose. Mom and dad are living very comfortably in Hawaii now and enjoying retirement. Just my thoughts.[/QUOTE]

That is probably a great idea. I have worked with one ex CG who did his time and got out with a full pension and then started with ABS. He left ABS after about 12 years, but took that experience and is still working as an offshore construction/compliance consultant.

My other half’s father is also retired CG who, upon his completion of 20 years (including some time in those CG gun boats in Vietnam) he then started working at the Port of Houston on the fire boats, where he has since retired. . . not a bad deal at all.

I’ve sailed with many retired CG, Navy, Army and in the early '70s, Air Force crash boat drivers. Most retired around 40. Most worked at their leisure. That’s the best part in being able to retire young enough to enjoy it.

It appears to be a lot easier to transition as you can get your credentials before you retire. I have one grandson on Army tugs. He’s contemplating doing 20 but has it covered either way. If he decides not to re enlist, he’ll still have his mates credential. Not a bad gig.

I can see you making senior chief by 20, maybe even higher. Have you considered your last two duty stations can be the same place? The pay with benefits you receive are as good as what civmars are getting. The defined pension you are earning will be a bedrock of financial stability. Come work with us civilians after you’re a chief retired. Stay safe and God bless you and yours.

I am not sure where you are stationed but, if you can get to the Norfolk Virginia area (I know…the area blows )your daughters will probably not be up rooted as you mentioned. There is always something for a GS to do there. However, you may have to take some ships or shore billets that you don’t want. That’s if it is about keeping your daughters in one place for their childhood.

[QUOTE=Chris867;164645]First let me start off by saying thanks in advance for offering me some insight on the questions I have. Here’s a little background.
I don’t know how much of this holds any weight, but I am definitely interested to see if monetarily it would be worth making the jump. I appreciate all of your help![/QUOTE]

What’s your actual rating? GS? MR? EM?

If you do leave the Navy, consider working for the government in one of the agencies like MSC. You can keep your family in one place. You can sell back your military time for civilian retirement credit. It’s just something to consider.

[QUOTE=catherder;164804]What’s your actual rating? GS? MR? EM?

If you do leave the Navy, consider working for the government in one of the agencies like MSC. You can keep your family in one place. You can sell back your military time for civilian retirement credit. It’s just something to consider.[/QUOTE]

I am an MR1. I am going to check out an MSC job fair this month in Norfolk, to see about how my military service would be credited if I decided to go that route.

Pick and choose where you’d like to be:
[B]–Greater Seattle Area–[/B]
Many shipyards for commercial work and the Navy’s Puguet Sound Naval Shipyard
Port of Seattle (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)
Port of Tacoma (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)

[B]–Northern California–[/B]
Port of Oakland (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)
BAE Systems Shipyard (San Francisco / Bay Area)

[B]–Southern California–[/B]
General Dynamics NASSCO Shipyard with both commercial and Navy work)
Port of Long Beach (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)
Port of Los Angeles (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)

[B]–Virginia / Maryland / DC–[/B]
Port of Virginia, Norfolk (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)
Norfolk Naval Shipyard
Huntington Ingalls Shipbuilding (Norfolk, VA)
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
NAVSEA (Washington DC, Navy Yard)
MANY Defense contractors
NSWC Carderock (Naval Engineering work)

[B]–Florida / Alabama / Mississippi / Louisiana–[/B]
Many commercial shipyards and a few defense contractor shipyards
Port Everglades (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)
The Port of Savannah, GA (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)
BAE Systems, Mobile, AL
Austal USA, Mobile, AL
Huntington Ingalls Shipbuilding (Pascagoula, MS)
Bollinger Shipyards (Lockport, LA and many nearby locations)

[B]–Texas–[/B]
Many Oil companies in Houston and their contractors (Lots of engineering, and lots of vessel operations)
Port of Houston (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)

[B]–New England–[/B]
General Dynamics Bath Iron Works (Defense Shipbuilder), Bath, ME
General Dynamics Electric Boat (Defense Shipbuilder, Submarines), Groton, CT
Port of New York and New Jersey (Shipping Lines, Tugboat Operators)

If you ‘‘don’t mind it’’ then by all means stick with it, when you get to 60 you’ll know it was the best decision you ever made. You’ll be 40 when you get out with free medical for life and a monthly check. Yes, you can go to MSC, the Corps Egn or NOAA, not bad if you HAD to get out but the freedom and benefits of a military retirement at 40 can’t be matched! and realize, you and yours won’t be able to go to the hospital without some serious insurance. You’ll see your family more if you stay in the Navy too.
CME NOAA RET
SSGUSA RET

If you’re at ten years I would suggest staying for your pension, when you retire you’ll be what? 40 or so? still plenty of time to get a z-card or a license and work another 25 years at sea to get a union retirement, plus you’ll have your Navy pension to see you through the lean months.

But no matter what you should check out MARAD’s Military to Mariners page

http://www.marad.dot.gov/mariners/military-to-mariners/

No matter what good luck in what ever you do

What you have sitting in front of you is a secure paycheck, medical for you and your family, housing, and so on. Do your 20 and get that mailbox paycheck each month. Don’t chase the money and bail out of the NAVY. You will kick yourself in the butt years down the road. If your still interested in sailing after retirement - start the process with the CG about a year out, its not an easy process at all, i just went through the ordeal myself a few years back. Or if you want you can start the process now and get it out of the way. http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/. within the site, you can find checkoff lists of the requirements for the license your applying for.

[QUOTE=Chris867;164893]I am an MR1. I am going to check out an MSC job fair this month in Norfolk, to see about how my military service would be credited if I decided to go that route.[/QUOTE]
MSC recruiters are clueless. Find an MSC ship and go over and chew the fat with the engineers on board. However, I would advise staying regular Navy until pensioned. Should you at some point down the road want to sail commercial as an engineer, get some Navy watch standing time involving diesels if you haven’t already.

If you are at 10 years and “don’t mind it” you should stay in and do your 20 years and get that guaranteed govt pension and the medical benefits that go with it.

You will always have that income to have for a cushion should you find yourself out of a job for some reason.

I’m not former military but I second the advice to get your retirement. If you want to spend your last few years in the reserves, whatever but between the pay check (layoffs happen) and the health benefits (medicare sucks) you won’t regret it.

Also, apply now to the NMC for every rating and license you can get. You can use future service to upgrade those licenses and be very marketable when you retire.

I also second the advice to get diesel qualified.

Man stay 20 till retirement or longer…my dad was a retired USCG CWO3 Machinists Mate or MK…he passed away at 72 from cancer 6 months ago, but all bills were paid. Me I was Merchant Marine, hawespiped to officer as an engineer, but I was injured on board my tanker and I don’t get total medical like my dad. I get medicare and VA (I was once in the CG briefly), I also was uprooted every 2 to 3 years as a dependent and I’m fine. Sure it sucks moving to a new school, but it’s not the end of their world. Also know your Navy time is not allowable, so go chief or mustang up to officer in the Navy. With almost 10 years in…dude, stay! Plenty of time to go Merchant Marine later and have money and medical behind your 6…I loved going to sea and your in a position of making really good where your at. Go to any and all schools the Navy offers, you’ll be doing yourself, your family and country more good right now. In any event you do decide to jump…I was fortunate to do well non union and my last year’s I was in American Maritime Officers union, really a great gig until I was severely injured in a lifeboat test gone bad. Weigh your options…

I enlisted in 1965, was trained in electronics, nuclear power and submarines. Qualified as a Reactor Operator. Navy sent me to university for four years, got a BSME degree and commissioned ensign. Spent the next eight years on sea billets, then a mix of sea and shore until retirement in 1993. Surface warfare officer but most billets in engineering (e.g. Aux Mach Off, MPA, CHENG, Squadron Material Off, Group Material Off). Fully qualified on deck and as engineering examiner on 1200-psi D, M and p-fired boilers, plus GT ships. Documented my sea time, watch standing experience, etc from the USN to the CG REC. In 1990 I sat for original Unlimited Chief Mate, then a month later for Master 1600-Tons, Steam, Motor & Sail. CG said I could have also sat for 2nd Assistant Steam Unlimited, but I went the deck route only. Explored sailing with MSC in the early 1990s, but took a university job instead. USN was the best thing to ever happen to this kid. Ride was E-1 to E-5 and O-1 to O-5.

Reason for the long story is to reinforce those mariners above who have urged or recommended that you finish your Navy career. Having that income and medical coverage for life should let you pick a ‘second career’ that gives you the balance of needed income, family time, personal satisfaction, etc. You should continue to build your sea experience, make sure it is well-documented, and look to sit for your licenses prior to retirement. If courses are needed you may be able to use TA.

Thank you for your service and best wishes for the future.

Brian

Yeah, if you can stomach it - stick it out.

HOWEVER, start NOW with getting EVALUATED. Start NOW with the schools.

Get that shit knocked out NOW.

You can attend these schools and such on the Navy’s dime ([U]NAVY College - Tuition Assistance[/U]). Worst case: no cost/permissive TAD. Since you’ll still be in you will STILL BE EARNING. On the outside, if yer not at work, yer not earning. If yer at school yer not earning (AND not at home!)

[B][U]COMMAND LETTERHEAD[/U][/B] is worth its weight in gold when signed by Commanding Officers IRT to certifying duty stations, sea service and quals.

COMMAND URINALYSIS will suffice for drug testing when signed by the Coordinator - drug tests can cost money on the front side of licensing.

BMC(SW) Retired