Memorial Day

I do not wish to take away from any of the other services, or in any way make light of the sacrifice of so many of their proud members, but why is it that on Memorial Day, you never even hear about the Merchant Marine?
The first wartime role of an identifiable United States Merchant Marine took place on June 12, 1775. These privateers interrupted the British supply chain all along the eastern seaboard of the United States and across the Atlantic Ocean. The actions by these privateers predate both the United States Coast Guard and the United States Navy, which were formed in 1790 and 1775, respectively. The merchant marine was also active in subsequent wars, from the Confederate commerce raiders of the American Civil War, to the assaults on Allied commerce in the First and in the Second World Wars.
3.1 million tons of merchant ships were lost in World War II. Mariners died at a rate of 1 in 24, which was the highest rate of casualties of any service. All told, 733 American cargo ships were lost and 8,651 of the 215,000 who served perished in troubled waters and off enemy shores… I could continue on until now, but I think you get my point. As you enjoy that BBQ today, save just a moment’s thought for the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country – with no pension benefit for their families – and apparently, not even a second thought from their countrymen.
Thank you for letting me rant,
Mike Ahearn, Captain – U.S.M.M.

Franklin Roosevelt was prepared to issue veteran’s status for US merchant mariners by Presidential Order in the closing days of WWII but died unexpectedly before he did then two bloody cretins by the names of Walter Winchell and Westbrook Pegler poisoned the waters against our seafarers with outlandish claims that merchant mariners were draft dodgers and as civilians were war profiteers. Turns out that our fine assholes each had a big hard-on for Joseph Curran and the NMU for some reason that I don’t know (I suspect they both suffered from the same disease that afflicts Bill O’Reilley today). In the end as is so typical of Washington, the political tide turned and nobody in either Congress or the Truman Administration was willing to stick their necks out for the guys who basically won the war for the allies. The rest is history…

from Wikipedia

Roosevelt, while the war was under way, proclaimed

"Mariners have written one of its most brilliant chapters. They have delivered the goods when and where needed in every theater of operations and across every ocean in the biggest, the most difficult and dangerous job ever undertaken. As time goes on, there will be greater public understanding of our merchant's fleet record during this war."

But it was not to be, for with Roosevelt’s death in 1945, the Merchant Marine lost its staunchest supporter and any chance to share in the accolades afforded others who served. The War Department, the same government branch that recruited them, opposed the Seaman’s Bill of Rights in 1947 and managed to kill the legislation in congressional committee, effectively ending any chance for seamen to reap the thanks of a nation. For 43 years, the U.S. government denied them benefits ranging from housing to health care until Congress awarded them veterans’ status in 1988, too late for 125,000 mariners, roughly half of those who had served, who had already died.

“It’s one of the injustices of American history,” wrote Brian Herbert, author of “The Forgotten Heroes,” a book about the Merchant Marine of World War II. “These men were torpedoed by their own government after the war.”

There are literally volumes which can be written about the immense and critical contribution made by the US merchant mariners of WWII without whom the war could never have been a fought, but I will let General Dwight Eisenhower say it in just a few words here:

Every man in this Allied command is quick to express his admiration for the loyalty, courage, and fortitude of the officers and men of the Merchant Marine. We count upon their efficiency and their utter devotion to duty as we do our own; they have never failed us yet and in all the struggles yet to come we know that they will never be deterred by any danger, hardship, or privation. When final victory is ours there is no organization that will share its credit more deservedly than the Merchant Marine.

To the merchant mariners of WWII both still with us or long departed…

thanks!

WWll veterans. (And Korean and Vietnam era) merchant mariners can apply for veteran status, and receive no official benefits. But it is creditable for veterans benefits and burial benefits. Reagan passed this law. My F-I-L took advantage of this so I know it works. (Or at least worked 15 yrs ago)

I would like to respond to the following portion of your statement…

“WWll veterans. merchant mariners can apply for veteran status, and receive no official benefits.”

[B]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/wwiimm.asp
[/B]

[B]
Veterans Qualification Process [/B][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On January 19, 1988, the Secretary of the Air Force, Edward C. Aldridge, Jr., determined that the service of the “American Merchant Marine in Oceangoing Service during the Period of Armed Conflict, December 7, 1941, to August 15, 1945,” shall be considered “active duty” under the provisions of [FONT=Times New Roman]Public Law 95-202 for the purposes of laws administered by the Veterans Administration. [LEFT]
For what it’s worth WWII members of the Merchant Marines qualify for benefits as the other 5 branches of services. They are also entitled to awards and decorations including the Purple Heart and POW medal.

I am familiar with the process to request awards and decorations to several branches of service, but lag knowledge the avenue for WWII Merchant Marines. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Robert[/LEFT]

[QUOTE=Robersabel;95415]I would like to respond to the following portion of your statement…

“WWll veterans. merchant mariners can apply for veteran status, and receive no official benefits.”

[B]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/wwiimm.asp
[/B]

[B]
Veterans Qualification Process [/B][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On January 19, 1988, the Secretary of the Air Force, Edward C. Aldridge, Jr., determined that the service of the “American Merchant Marine in Oceangoing Service during the Period of Armed Conflict, December 7, 1941, to August 15, 1945,” shall be considered “active duty” under the provisions of [FONT=Times New Roman]Public Law 95-202 for the purposes of laws administered by the Veterans Administration. [LEFT]
For what it’s worth WWII members of the Merchant Marines qualify for benefits as the other 5 branches of services. They are also entitled to awards and decorations including the Purple Heart and POW medal.

I am familiar with the process to request awards and decorations to several branches of service, but lag knowledge the avenue for WWII Merchant Marines. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Robert[/LEFT]

[/QUOTE]

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/wwiimm.asp