Membership in Nautical Institute

Is anyone here a member of NI? What are peoples’ thoughts about the benefit of membership?

I’ve been an Associate member for 3 years now as I am still currently as Cadet. It is 39 GBP per year which is about $65 USD for the student membership. I enjoy reading the monthly Seaways magazines and they usually have some very good articles. Every now and then you get a demo disk. Last one I got was for Transas ECDIS. I also got a very informative CD with information on new mooring technology using vacuum pads and some other tension devices mounted pier side. If you want to buy some of their publications it gets you a 30% discount.Even with the increased price of the full membership, over all I would say its not a horrible price for what you get. If you are a DPO i think its worth while to be up to date with what the NI is doing, although the IDPOA is slowly getting larger and has some good articles and information as well.

Hopefully someone else will has an opinion.

Nate

I went there in 1996 for training and as a member I can say there are zero benefits.

[QUOTE=“AHTS Master;92313”]I went there in 1996 for training and as a member I can say there are zero benefits.[/QUOTE]

Other than £100,000 of license insurance and the fancy letters after your name, that’s what it looks like to me too.

There’s a useful summary of the benefits on the NI’s website at: http://www.nautinst.org/en/membership/benefits.cfm

Members receive Seaways magazine each month (also viewable online), a 30% discount on a wide range of practical maritime guides & books, discounted entry to events around the world plus the opportunity to network with colleagues & potential employers and customers. There’s also £100,000 of legal protection against the threat of criminalisation, support with CPD, an online jobs board, a monthly e-newsletter, a representative voice at IMO & IALA and of course the recognition that comes from being a member of a professional body.

[QUOTE=“Neptune;94714”]There’s a useful summary of the benefits on the NI’s website at: http://www.nautinst.org/en/membership/benefits.cfm

Members receive Seaways magazine each month (also viewable online), a 30% discount on a wide range of practical maritime guides & books, discounted entry to events around the world plus the opportunity to network with colleagues & potential employers and customers. There’s also £100,000 of legal protection against the threat of criminalisation, support with CPD, an online jobs board, a monthly e-newsletter, a representative voice at IMO & IALA and of course the recognition that comes from being a member of a professional body.[/QUOTE]

That’s not bad for $65.00 a year.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around that “£100,000 of legal protection.” Do they mean to tell me that for $65 per year as a member of their organization if I become involved in a court case in which my license comes into jeopardy they will provide up to £100,000 worth of lawyer time for me? That sounds like a nice deal but I don’t buy it… So if that isn’t what they mean, then… what the hell [I]do[/I] they mean?

[QUOTE=“PaddyWest2012;94950”]I have a hard time wrapping my head around that “£100,000 of legal protection.” Do they mean to tell me that for $65 per year as a member of their organization if I become involved in a court case in which my license comes into jeopardy they will provide up to £100,000 worth of lawyer time for me? That sounds like a nice deal but I don’t buy it… So if that isn’t what they mean, then… what the hell do they mean?[/QUOTE]

£110 ($175.99) per year, or £496 ($793.54) for a five year membership (£99.20 [$158.71] per year).

I read the insurance the same as you. They pay up to £100,000 of your legal fees if you have an incident. It makes sense to me; they can get a group rate since they have a lot of members. Plus, MOPS insurance is more expensive but pays unlimited legal fees for action against your license, civil criminal defense insurance is extra and I don’t think it is unlimited.

anyone have a copy of the actual legal fee coverage? I have a hard copy of my MOPS policy that i trust. Can the same be said for that?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;94950]I have a hard time wrapping my head around that “£100,000 of legal protection.” Do they mean to tell me that for $65 per year as a member of their organization if I become involved in a court case in which my license comes into jeopardy they will provide up to £100,000 worth of lawyer time for me? That sounds like a nice deal but I don’t buy it… So if that isn’t what they mean, then… what the hell [I]do[/I] they mean?[/QUOTE]

I have been a member of the NI for many years. I am an Associate Fellow of the Nautical Institute and can categorically vouch for the comments above with reference to legal representation of members of the institute.
They will represent you in court, and protect your rights as a seaman. The NI also is the only private marine institute with representation at all IMO meetings, seminars etc and has a right to vote on behalf of its members. Go for it, it is well worth the membership.

[QUOTE=Capt Carl;95004]I have been a member of the NI for many years. I am an Associate Fellow of the Nautical Institute and can categorically vouch for the comments above with reference to legal representation of members of the institute.
They will represent you in court, and protect your rights as a seaman. The NI also is the only private marine institute with representation at all IMO meetings, seminars etc and has a right to vote on behalf of its members. Go for it, it is well worth the membership.[/QUOTE]

I vouch for the above statement also… could come in valuable for many members at some point… worth the subscription fee for sure, for what you pay it’s well worth it.