Mayor Anthony Foxx to be Nominated as DOT Secretary

A White House official said Sunday that Charlotte, North Carolina Mayor Anthony Foxx will be nominated as the next DOT Secretary, replacing outgoing Ray Lahood.
Click here for his full bio: http://www.anthonyfoxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Updated-Mayor-Foxx-Bio.pdf

As far as I could tell, his experience in the transportation sector seems limited at best.

Considering the huge changes the maritime, and overall transportation industry, is likely to see over the next few years here in the US, the rationale behind such a nomination seems odd for someone with so little expertise.

[QUOTE=rob;107337]As far as I could tell, his experience in the transportation sector seems limited at best. [/QUOTE]

A History major turned lawyer who stumbled into a city council position in 2005 and then elected Mayor in 2009. Doesn’t look very promising.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;107345]A History major turned lawyer who stumbled into a city council position in 2005 and then elected Mayor in 2009. Doesn’t look very promising.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Fucking Christ…we’re doomed! Just doomed I say!

WTF happened to Mrs. NTSB?

[QUOTE=c.captain;107353]Jesus Fucking Christ…we’re doomed! Just doomed I say!

WTF happened to Mrs. NTSB?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely fuck’en amazing!

Just another political appointee who probably did obama or the democrats a favor (their convention was in Charlotte last year) and is getting his payback.

Just like the CEO of REI managing the dept. of interior! Pitiful!

He probably did a good job raising funds for Obama’s election campaign.

Merit and the ability to get things done don’t seem to matter anymore. No wonder we are in such a mess.

[QUOTE=c.captain;107353]Jesus Fucking Christ…we’re doomed! Just doomed I say!

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is the guy from the state that is working hardest to repeal the Jones Act. Does anyone else see a pattern in the Administration’s all out war against the American merchant marine?

We might soon be wishing LaHood was still around.

The law firm Foxx worked for and funds his campaigns is described as:

"Hunton & Williams was listed by the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP) as one of the “2012 World’s Best Outsourcing Advisors”, who “navigate” and arrange the organization of those businesses overseas for clients.

In addition, the practice was ranked the #1 and #3 Outsourcing and Offshoring Legal Advisor in Brown & Wilson’s Black Book of Outsourcing for the years 2008 and 2009."

We are well and truly doomed.

[QUOTE=Steamer;107389]Yeah, this is the guy from the state that is working hardest to repeal the Jones Act. Does anyone else see a pattern in the Administration’s all out war against the American merchant marine?

We might soon be wishing LaHood was still around.

The law firm Foxx worked for and funds his campaigns is described as:

"Hunton & Williams was listed by the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP) as one of the “2012 World’s Best Outsourcing Advisors”, who “navigate” and arrange the organization of those businesses overseas for clients.

In addition, the practice was ranked the #1 and #3 Outsourcing and Offshoring Legal Advisor in Brown & Wilson’s Black Book of Outsourcing for the years 2008 and 2009."

We are well and truly doomed.[/QUOTE]

From the same people that slammed Romney for outsourcing. Oops. Political statement. Never mind. I direct the jury to ignore my comment. . . .

Did not know McCain was part of this administration, I would not blame just one party, the Jones act has been under attack for decades.

SENATOR JOHN McCAIN INTRODUCES OPEN AMERICA’S WATER ACT

June 25, 2010

“Today I am pleased to introduce legislation that would fully repeal the Jones Act, a 1920s law that hinders free trade and favors labor unions over consumers. Specifically, the Jones Act requires that all goods shipped between waterborne ports of the United States be carried by vessels built in the United States and owned and operated by Americans. This restriction only serves to raise shipping costs, thereby making U.S. farmers less competitive and increasing costs for American consumers. (JUST POINTING OUT)

[QUOTE=capbubba;107415]Did not know McCain was part of this administration, I would not blame just one party, the Jones act has been under attack for decades.[/QUOTE]

I guess I missed the part about WTF that has to do with Foxx and his old employer.

Does anyone else see a pattern in the Administration’s all out war against the American merchant marine? This is WTF I was pointing out.

No way!

Another incompetent, political appointee in this administration?

Color me shocked!

[QUOTE=capnfab;107481]No way!

Another incompetent, political appointee in this administration?

Color me shocked![/QUOTE]

here’s the bio…he’s nothing more than an inexperienced political hack kid! Rshrew is right that this nomination is every bit as terrible as Miss REI CEO to be Secretary of Interior! Where the FUCK are they getting these people? I AM DISGUSTED BEYOND WORDS! I’ll say it again with both intense anger and biting resignation but we are DOOMED!

[B]Obama picks Foxx to succeed LaHood at Transportation[/B]

AnthonyFoxx

APRIL 29, 2012 — President Obama plans to nominate Anthony R. Foxx, the Mayor of Charlotte, N.C., to succeed Ray LaHood as Secretary of Transportation.

Mayor Foxx (born on April 30, 1971 in Charlotte) was first elected to the Charlotte City Council in 2005 and won election as mayor in 2009. Among his first term accomplishments was bringing the 2012 Democratic National Convention to Charlotte, giving him a speaker spot at the event that helped bring him to national attention.

He graduated from Davidson College, where he was the first African American student body president, with a degree in history, in 1993, and earned a law degree from New York University School of Law in 1996.

After law school, Mr. Foxx returned to Charlotte to work for a short time at the Smith, Helms, Mullis, and Moore law firm, and left to become a clerk for Judge Nathaniel R. Jones of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati. Later he worked for the United States Department of Justice and the United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee.

In 2001, he returned to Charlotte to work as a business litigator for Hunton & Williams, a Richmond, Va., headquartered law firm with an extensive lobbying practice. In 2009, he left Hunton & Williams to join DesignLine Corporation, a hybrid electric bus manufacturer, as its Deputy General Counsel.

Mayor Foxx has run up a record of achievements in Charlotte that include significant improvements to the city’s transportation infrastructure. How well that might translate into overseeing the national infrastructure, including its maritime component, remains to be seen. Still, some in the maritime community will greet Secretary LaHood’s departure with a sigh of relief and with hopes that the U.S. Maritime Administration will no longer be Transportation’s neglected stepchild.

there is one word which comes to mind for me which is simply…PATHETIC!

Why did they hire Fox?

I’d bet the farm that LaHood suggested him!

Think about it, LaHood has already filled the DOT with idiot loyalists like Matsuda who are good at doing only one thing, following his orders.

If someone competent, like NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman, took charge then LaHood’s puppet army would all get fired.

So LaHood suggested Foxx knowing he doesn’t have the compitance and experience to tear down and rebuild the department. This option gives him total control without the day-to-day hassle of kissing babies and showing up to cabinet meetings.

[QUOTE=domer;107553]So LaHood suggested Foxx knowing he doesn’t have the compitance and experience to tear down and rebuild the department. This option gives him total control without the day-to-day hassle of kissing babies and showing up to cabinet meetings.[/QUOTE]

I very much fear you are spot on correct here. That miserable mafioso wants to remain the FUCKING PUPPET MASTER at DoT!

ARRGGGHHHHHH, WHAT A GODDAMNED, MOTHER FUCKING, SHIT SHOW!

[QUOTE=c.captain;107505]here’s the bio…he’s nothing more than an inexperienced political hack kid! Rshrew is right that this nomination is every bit as terrible as Miss REI CEO to be Secretary of Interior! Where the FUCK are they getting these people? I AM DISGUSTED BEYOND WORDS! I’ll say it again with both intense anger and biting resignation but we are DOOMED![/QUOTE]

Incompetence and hiring incompetents is a hallmark of this administration.

[QUOTE=capnfab;107608]Incompetence and hiring incompetents is a hallmark of this administration.[/QUOTE]

~ and every administration since Nixon.
President Nixon was the last President who stood up for us.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;107345]A History major turned lawyer who stumbled into a city council position in 2005 and then elected Mayor in 2009. Doesn’t look very promising.[/QUOTE]

That’s what they want. It’s another nail in the coffin.