Maritime Administrator Nominee

President Biden Announces Key Nominations | The White House

1 Like

From the press release:

Ann Phillips, Nominee for Administrator of the United States Maritime Administration at the Department of Transportation
Ann Phillips is a leader in the field of coastal resilience and climate impact on national security at the regional, national and international level. In her current appointment as the first Special Assistant to the Governor of Virginia for Coastal Adaptation and Protection, she is building a collaborative, whole of government and community approach to address the impact of coastal flooding across the Commonwealth, including the development of Virginia’s first Coastal Resilience Master Plan. In particular, she coordinates across Federal, State, local and other partners to create equitable strategies to address rising waters and climate impact to federal, maritime, and other critical coastal infrastructure assets in Virginia.

Prior to her current appointment, Ann Phillips served nearly 31 years on active duty in the United States Navy, retiring as a Rear Admiral. Her final Flag command was as Commander, Expeditionary Strike Group TWO, including 14 ships and 10 subordinate commands – all the Amphibious Expeditionary Forces on the East Coast of the United States. Earlier she served on the Chief of Naval Operations’ Staff as Deputy Director and then Director of Surface Warfare Division, had the honor to commission and command USS MUSTIN (DDG 89), and to command Destroyer Squadron 28.

Um, I am sure that she is good at what she does, but what do her qualifications have to do with the Maritime Administration? I guess just more of the same.

4 Likes

Below is a biography on her from the Navy that doesn’t have all the political correct environmental buzz words. Doesn’t sound as bad as the WH press release.

1 Like

Kicking an empty can down the road.

3 Likes

Why did everyone think they would change their ways? But, let’s wait and see, and have a conversation on this in 3 years.

Zero commercial experience, no license…wtf.

2 Likes

I agree with the lack of commercial experience in Shipping, but you don’t need to have sailed or a license to lead top shipping companies and other maritime providers, most top executives across the industry don’t have the onboard operational experience, and they do just fine at their jobs.

2 Likes

Ok, how’s that worked out for the US merchant marine and the American mariner so far?

6 Likes

I don’t know this lady, none of us do. I admitt after reading the WH press release my shoulders fell a little. But after reading the Navy bio & a couple of other puff pieces on the web I don’t see any red flags that would disqualify her or give an indication that she couldn’t do the job. After 31 years in the Navy she should have a large network of contacts & experience to know about the Maritime Administration goals & shortcomings. Can’t be worse than having Mayor Pete Buttigieg as the Transportation Secretary.

1 Like

This latest MARAD appointment just shows that “Can’t be worse than” is the new standard for leadership.

Unfortunately, the merchant marine can be a lot worse than it is now if we don’t have leadership with a vision of the future that includes a robust maritime component. We are never going to get that with another retired admiral no matter how broad their social world might be.

4 Likes

My opinion…
The new MARAD administrator could be the love child of Captain Cook and King Kong and they still wouldn’t be able to do anything to resurrect the USMM.

Resurrecting the USMM comes down to one thing: convincing the majority of senators to resurrect the subsidy system which kept the Golden Age USMM afloat. A steady, sustained, generational campaign to do just that one, blessed thing. Nothing else will do it.

The MARAD administrator does two things: keeps an eye on our system of MM academies, and administer the reserve fleet. The one job is a sort of Super-Dean of Colleges. The other is running a high-tech fleet rental operation (or junk yard, depending on your POV). Is the candidate competent to do that?

9 Likes

Or even interested in doing that.

1 Like

When I see Admiral, I think Politician. That’s what they are- you don’t get to flag rank without being one.

Disappointed that it’s yet another person without a commercial background. However, previous office holders with a commercial background weren’t able to do much for the industry, or we’d see the fruit of that by now.

4 Likes

Yep

3 Likes
3 Likes

Not well:

4 Likes

John. your post is worthy of reading by many others than the members on this site.

6 Likes

So if a navy captain can head marad, is it ok if the navy appointed a merchant marine captain to be CNO?

Me personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with it if the law or a ruling said it was legal. I know there’s some military personnel at every rank that dislikes a Commander-in-Chief with zero military training or experience but that is the way our government & republic is set up. Every Navy League newsletter I received & every intelligent navy personnel (active, reserve or retired) that I met knew the plight of MARAD & the USMM fleet. I don’t see it as a us versus them situation. I say we judge a person by the work performed. Complaining about it before they even start solves nothing & just creates a bunch of negative energy.

2 Likes