Matsuda stepping down

http://gcaptain.com/david-matsuda-stepping-down-as-marad-administrator/

Full statement Matsuda Stepping Down as U.S. Maritime Administrator

David Matsuda, the U.S. Maritime Administrator, is announcing today that he is stepping down.

Matsuda, who previously worked as the primary transportation counsel to Sen. Frank Lautenberg, was responsible for overseeing more than $1 billion in federal assistance to modernize over 100 of America’s small shipyards, upgrade 25 U.S. ports, and build new vessels in the U.S.

He helped secure the future of the 60-ship militarily-useful merchant fleet by leading the charge with an industry coalition on Capitol Hill to advocate passage of the agency’s 10-year, $2 billion Maritime Security Program.

During his three years as administrator, Matsuda tackled legacy agency challenges– including environmental cleanup of the California Suisun Bay fleet site and addressing ailing infrastructure at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy–and refocused the agency on future maritime challenges including use of alternative maritime fuels like liquefied natural gas and Panama Canal expansion impacts on U.S. ports.

“Dave was a valuable member of my team,” said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. “I’m particularly proud of his work to improve federal maritime education programs and revitalize the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.”

Matsuda statement:

I write you because we have had an opportunity to work together to help strengthen our maritime industry and because you have shown a continuing interest in the Maritime Administration.

Over the last four years, our agency has worked hard to seize every opportunity to advocate for a strong U.S. maritime industry, and I have been honored to play a part in this historic administration’s efforts. This honor is multi-layered and includes the opportunity to serve our country, serve alongside dedicated professionals, and serve the men and women who work on the water every day.

In considering and fully appreciating this honor, I have recently made the difficult decision to move on from my position at the Maritime Administration later this month.

Taking the helm as Acting Administrator will be Deputy Administrator Chip Jaenichen. He and the rest of our team are dedicated to ensuring a smooth transition of agency leadership.

In conducting our Nation’s maritime business, I have had the privilege of working with and learning from the Maritime Administration’s many dedicated employees as well as the countless professionals in America’s maritime industry who care about the future of our industry and work hard to sustain and grow it.

I am sure the Maritime Administration will not forget your interest or partnership, and I hope we have the opportunity to work together in the future. If I can be of service in any way, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Dave Matsuda

more self serving own back slapping I have yet to ever read! What utter tripe and meaningless dreck from the mouth of an obtuse and useless fool!

Matsuda to step down as Administrator

David Matsuda

MAY 13, 2013—U.S. Maritime Administrator David Matsuda will be stepping down later this month. Deputy Administrator Chip Jaenichen will be taking over as Acting Administrator.

Over his three years as Administrator, Matsuda was often criticized in industry circles for his lack of engagement and advocacy for the maritime industry.

Prior to joining MarAd, Matsuda, worked as the primary transportation counsel to Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ).

In a statement, MarAd said Matsuda "helped secure the future of the 60-ship militarily-useful merchant fleet by leading the charge with an industry coalition on Capitol Hill to advocate passage of the agency’s 10-year, $2 billion Maritime Security Program. During his three years as administrator, Matsuda tackled legacy agency challenges—including environmental cleanup of the California Suisun Bay fleet site and addressing ailing infrastructure at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy—and refocused the agency on future maritime challenges including use of alternative maritime fuels like liquefied natural gas and Panama Canal expansion impacts on U.S. ports. "

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said, “I’m particularly proud of his work to improve federal maritime education programs and revitalize the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy."

In an outgoing communication to industry, Matsuda said: "Over the last four years, our agency has worked hard to seize every opportunity to advocate for a strong U.S. maritime industry, and I have been honored to play a part in this historic administration’s efforts. This honor is multi-layered and includes the opportunity to serve our country, serve alongside dedicated professionals, and serve the men and women who work on the water every day.

"In considering and fully appreciating this honor, I have recently made the difficult decision to move on from my position at the Maritime Administration later this month.

“Taking the helm as Acting Administrator will be Deputy Administrator Chip Jaenichen. He and the rest of our team are dedicated to ensuring a smooth transition of agency leadership.”

Oh well, at least the rodent is soon going to be gone along with his mafiosi boss! Nothing can ever be worse than that pair…(I hope anyway?)

Yeah, well, you know what they say, be careful what you wish for…

I would love to see someone who rose from the deckplates and not the boardroom, but you may say, I’m a dreamer. But I’m not the only one.

Now I only wish every forum member lived close by… because then I’d throw a party and invite all of you!

The good news is the new acting administrator, Chip Jaenichen, has actually has some real sea time. The bad news is that it was all with the navy and aboard a submarine:

Captain Jaenichen’s naval career began in 1978 with an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy from Representative William Natcher. Upon graduation, he was commissioned as a submarine officer and spent the majority of his career on sea duty. He honorably served on four different submarines before assuming the role of Executive Officer aboard the USS Kentucky. After three strategic deterrent patrols with the Kentucky, Captain Jaenichen assumed command of the USS Albany. Captain Jaenichen served the final 2 years of his career with the Navy’s Legislative Affairs office here in Washington.

Submarine guys aren’t all that bad. Beats someone with zero exp. on a ship except ferry crossings and “Pirates of the Caribbean” at Disney World.

This honor is multi-layered and includes the opportunity to serve our country, serve alongside dedicated professionals, and serve the men and women who work on the water every day.

Multi-Layered what!? What does this even mean? I’ve worked with Ordinary Seaman straight off the plane from Yemen who speak more clearly than him! Did they not teach English at Matsuda’s Kindergarten?

[QUOTE=domer;109232]Multi-Layered what!? What does this even mean? I’ve worked with Ordinary Seaman straight off the plane from Yemen who speak more clearly than him! Did they not teach English at Matsuda’s Kindergarten?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he took the brown acid.

Soo does this mean we have to retire this??

[QUOTE=john;109225]Now I only wish every forum member lived close by… because then I’d throw a party and invite all of you![/QUOTE]

Do you really want a pack of us lolling around in your swimming pool and terrorizing your kids and pets?

[QUOTE=domer;109229]The good news is the new acting administrator, Chip Jaenichen, has actually has some real sea time. The bad news is that it was all with the navy and aboard a submarine:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, MARAD means Maritime Administration, not Navy Administration … Jesus F’n Cheerist when are those morons going to figure out that maritime doesn’t mean a branch of the Pentagon where the second rate military political hacks go to pad their pensions?

[QUOTE=john;109225]Now I only wish every forum member lived close by… because then I’d throw a party and invite all of you![/QUOTE]

I’ll bring rum and strippers!

whattya say John…let’s do this thing!

[QUOTE=Steamer;109264]Yeah, MARAD means Maritime Administration, not Navy Administration … Jesus F’n Cheerist when are those morons going to figure out that maritime doesn’t mean a branch of the Pentagon where the second rate military political hacks go to pad their pensions?[/QUOTE]

You know in the end Sean Connaughton was probably as close to a best Administrator as we are going to get in the years to come. Albeit, a KP’er without seagoing experience but he wasn’t a stooge like Matsuda or an ex Pentagon hack like this guy we’re now getting. Sad to say, but we shall never ever see a Warren Leback or a William Schubert ever again I fear.

J.K. for Director of MARAD!!!

Although Capt. Paul “Chip” Jaenichen (Ret.) resume has no commercial or merchant marine experience, he is a U.S. Naval Academy graduate and was Commanding Officer, of the USS Albany SSN 753. That makes him a Nuclear Engineer which equal a Smart SOB.
His last duty station was as Navy Deputy Chief of “Legislative Affairs”, Washington D.C., that should have equipped him to deal well inside the beltway.
Maybe he’ll get bumped up to permanent Administrator. A guy that wore Gold Dolphins has a lot of good qualities.
We will see…

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;109272]J.K. for Director of MARAD!!!

[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

Keep up the great work!

I don’t have a swimming pool and, considering I haven’t shipped out in over a year, my kids and pets are well acclimated to the terrors of living with a shipwrecked sailor :wink:

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;109278]Although Capt. Paul “Chip” Jaenichen (Ret.) resume has no commercial or merchant marine experience, he is a U.S. Naval Academy graduate and was Commanding Officer, of the USS Albany SSN 753. That makes him a Nuclear Engineer which equal a Smart SOB.
His last duty station was as Navy Deputy Chief of “Legislative Affairs”, Washington D.C., that should have equipped him to deal well inside the beltway.
Maybe he’ll get bumped up to permanent Administrator. A guy that wore Gold Dolphins has a lot of good qualities.
We will see…[/QUOTE]

The world is full of “smart SOBs.” All the experiences you promote as qualifications for the position are precisely the reason the US maritime industry is in such a mess. He is a military industrial hack who knows less about (and has absolutely no incentive for) retrieving a merchant marine industry from the cesspool of inside the beltway treachery than the guy who does my lawn maintenance. I don’t care if he wore pink bunny tails on his shoes, he is a perfect example of the kind of “leadership” that has lead us to our current ugly situation.

I would like to see MARAD headquartered in Seattle, run by maritime industry career civilians who have never even been onboard a naval vessel, and who either owned a tug or coastal freighter company or held a management position in a deep sea vessel operating company and maybe even made a trip on one.

Get the goddam military and politicians out of the business and we might have a business 10 years from now.

Why don’t you volunteer for the job Steamer, you seem to know everything. I was merely pointing out that “Chip” is not a nitwit like so many seem to think Matsuda was. Chip may not get the job in the end, but like it or not, he has the job for now. I hope he gets to keep it. The more Submariners running things the better!