Master OSV 3000 upgrade to 6000 or 10000

“V” is good. You might notice that in all of the assessments that are common to the unlimited endorsement, “ship” was changed to “vessel” (except when quoting from STCW).

There wasn’t any on that issue. The “crossover” stuff (i.e. the “Notes” in the assessments and the discussion of removing the limitation, was done sua sponte.

ACTUAL ship handling skills is to berth a single screw ship with reversible engine in a tight spot.
You just pray that the Engineers manage to start it when you need to go astern. It can get some loooong seconds when you hear that first attempt fizzle out.

1 Like

Huh… that surprises me. I know a LOT of the OSV companies in the gulf were very unwilling to fork over the vaunted training course assistance grants/loans for anything useful for unlimited licenses due to hemorrhaging those guys when they got the “big licenses.” I figured they’d have had at least a little to say to prevent making the transition too easy.

Note that we say some of the courses for OSV endorsements can be tailored to OSVs (e.g. stability). That means another course, either the full original or some sort of gap-closer is needed to remove the OSV limitation.

CORRECTION: The NVIC does not state that courses can be tailored to OSVs. Oops.

1 Like

OOOOOOOOOOOO… No, I missed that. Thanks for that clarification.

46CFR11.493(e) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any requirement under STCW Regulation II/2 (incorporated by reference, see §11.102 of this part) that the Coast Guard determines to be inappropriate or unnecessary for service on an OSV, or that the applicant meets under the equivalency provisions of Article IX of STCW.

46CFR11.305© The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-II/2 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.

See my correction. You missed it because it’s not there, I thought it was.

1 Like

The Island Venture is far and above the the 10,000 GT tonnage limitation for Subchapter L. It would never be an OSV. Regardless of where it was constructed, or it’s nature of work.

To my knowledge no other nations issue them. They are “accepted” on US Flag vessels, with US Officers Internationally, because the
Flag State(US) recognizes them.

Thanks.
Yes the Island Venture is actually over 20000 GT, so maybe not the best example.

Most OSVs owned by American companies working overseas are under Vanuatu registry, which is operated from USA by a US owned company, thus very US friendly (especially towards be Bayou boys?)

I have inspected literally hundreds such vessels over the years and a few of them have had Americans among the crew, mostly Master. All have been with the required Vanuatu endorsement but I can’t remember if any had national licenses stating OSV only,or anything to that effect as basis for their CeC.
Anybody know how this work?

If the vessels were less than 1,600 GRT or 3,000 GT, they probably held certificates that were not limited to OSVs. The OSV only certificate is more prevalent with OSVs of 3,000 GT or more, this is the so-called “Large OSV” discussed here. U.SA. flag OSVs did not broach 3,000 GT until around 2000.

How long have the trade restricted OSV licenses been around?

The OSV specific licenses in the CFR are from June 26, 1997. The “Large OSV” endorsements were from November 14, 2000.

Forever…not literally but practically. See fishing specific licenses or Master of Uninspected Towing Vessels. As far Subchapter L? Ask Anchorman, he received the first. Before that the licenses were vessel specific.

Whoops! Sorry Mr Cavo, you beat me to it.

I would get, “Why? I never plan to go anywhere else.” Me: “What if there’s a layoff?” Them: “Chouest never does layoffs…”

A pretty poor answer even if it were true.

Many folks are content with the minimum, but the bill always comes due.

In the late 70’s and early 80’s there were licenses restricted to “oil & mineral” vessels. I had one.

1 Like

Yes I have seen those on US flag vessels back then.
There were also something called a “300 ton License” I believe. Could’t have been too difficult to obtain, since some of the holders couldn’t read and write.

I also remember in 1970 being presented with a license that was valid only for charter boasts of a specific size operating between two specific point and not more then 20 miles offshore. The only problem was that he was Master on a towing vessel in S.E.Asia.

Singapore Marine Department, (as it was then) refused to accept him, even though on an American flag boat, clearing out to leave from Singapore as part of a rig tow. (I was Navigator for the tow. My fist involvement with the Oil & Gas Industry)

See 46 CFR 11.201(j)(1)(i):
Except for an endorsement required by the STCW Convention, any applicant for a deck or engineer officer endorsement limited to vessels less than 200 GRT, or an officer endorsement limited to uninspected fishing industry vessels, may request an orally assisted examination instead of any written or other textual examination. If there are textual questions that the applicant has difficulty reading and understanding, the Coast Guard will offer the orally assisted examination. Each officer endorsement based on an orally assisted examination is limited to the specific route and type of vessel upon which the applicant obtained the majority of service.

Until March 24, 2014, the threshold was 500 GRT.

Some people had to earn, and take exams for, the licenses, others got “Grandfather” licenses just based on a company letter saying the person had served on the company’s vessels in a certain position without the proper license. I had both regular engraved green Master O&M 500 license that I took the exam for, and a plain white paper temporary license that said I was a grandfathered Chief engineer 10,000 O&M because I had served as an unlicensed chief, and a grandfathered Mate 1000 tons because I had served as an unlicensed mate.

Back in the 70’s the bayou was a really strange, insular, and unregulated world. I remember sailing as AB on boats where I was the only person who spoke English as a first language, and I kept the log because I was the only one onboard that could read and write. The bayou attitude against Yankees was a 100 times stronger back then.

3 Likes