Master of Maritime Administration and Logitistics (MMAL) w/ License Option (LO)

Hello. I’m interested in the MMAL-LO degree program. I would really like to hear from some people who have been through the program or are in it now, or people who have participated in a different graduate-LO program. Maybe just what you thought of the program in general, what your financial aid situation was like, how the graduate classes fit in with the LO courses, how many semesters it took, what opportunities it has led to, etc.

I plan to use the Post 9-11 GI Bill and may apply for an assistantship or fellowship, along with scholarships. I’m trying to determine if I will need to take the 6 prerequisite courses beforehand or if I can take them at the beginning of the program. Studying for the GMAT exam now. Not sure if I would start the program in spring, summer, or fall of 2016. I read that even though the MMAL program could be completed in 2 years, the MMAL-LO takes 3 years with 3 summer cruises. I would be applying for Victor Company (over 25 years old).

[QUOTE=Wake;160316]Hello. I’m interested in the MMAL-LO degree program. I would really like to hear from some people who have been through the program or are in it now, or people who have participated in a different graduate-LO program. Maybe just what you thought of the program in general, what your financial aid situation was like, how the graduate classes fit in with the LO courses, how many semesters it took, what opportunities it has led to, etc.

I plan to use the Post 9-11 GI Bill and may apply for an assistantship or fellowship, along with scholarships. I’m trying to determine if I will need to take the 6 prerequisite courses beforehand or if I can take them at the beginning of the program. Studying for the GMAT exam now. Not sure if I would start the program in spring, summer, or fall of 2016. I read that even though the MMAL program could be completed in 2 years, the MMAL-LO takes 3 years with 3 summer cruises. I would be applying for Victor Company (over 25 years old).[/QUOTE]

I just got accepted to SUNY Maritime and will be attending the Graduate License program starting this fall. I am a military guy myself and will be using my GI Bill for tution and housing. So basically we’re in the same boat. I don’t know if you already made up you mind but you should totally consider SUNY as well since they don’t ask for GMAT nor require you to have any prerequisite courses. Easy acceptance and less BS to deal with plus you get to live in NY City for three years. Check out the website and let me know if you have any questions.

[QUOTE=ASRES0369;160362]I just got accepted to SUNY Maritime and will be attending the Graduate License program starting this fall. I am a military guy myself and will be using my GI Bill for tution and housing. So basically we’re in the same boat. I don’t know if you already made up you mind but you should totally consider SUNY as well since they don’t ask for GMAT nor require you to have any prerequisite courses. Easy acceptance and less BS to deal with plus you get to live in NY City for three years. Check out the website and let me know if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]

Congrats and thanks for your post. I’ve considered all the maritime academies, and I’m pretty much dead-set on TMA. I’ve spent some time in NYC and while it was fun, I just don’t think it’s for me.

My original post was maybe a little too specific. I’m also interested in hearing whatever you’d like to share about things you know or have heard about the MMAL program, any graduate-LO program at TMA / TAMUG, or Victor Company. I’ve read some good information about Victor Company in some of the previous threads.

[QUOTE=ASRES0369;160362] I don’t know if you already made up you mind but you should totally consider SUNY as well since they don’t ask for GMAT [B]nor require you to have any prerequisite courses.[/B] Easy acceptance and less BS to deal with plus you get to live in NY City for three years. Check out the website and let me know if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]

How about this: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/Academics/Graduate%20Program/Outline

Pre-requisites:
MATH 111 - Applied Business Calculus
MATH 446 - Operations Research
GBEC 121 - Macroeconomics
GBEC 122 - Microeconomics
MATH 251 - Business Statistics
GBEC 427 - Financial Management
GMBG 345 - Fundamentals of Marketing

Also, SUNY requires regiment members to fork out about $3000 for uniforms. I believe TMA is about 1/3 that. It’s also far more expensive to live in NYC than Galveston.

By the way make SURE that you have day student status.

Wake, the MMAL is a good program to receive your license and a masters degree at the same time. The classes fit well with the LO classes because most of the MMAL classes are completed at night (6-9pm) or online. You can take the perquisite courses at A&M but if you have the opportunity to take some before you come it can be beneficial and cheaper for you but make sure they will transfer in to the program. The whole program can be done in 3 years and yes you have to do the 3 cruises.

Finanacially speaking the graduate program is about $50 more a credit hour than non graduate courses and being a grad student will cause all your classes including LO classes and the cruises to cost more.

Also check about the eligibility for Victor company because they have been changing the requirements recently, not sure if it’s still 25 years old.

Thanks Hank.

Just came across this news article about a TAMUG Maritime Administration faculty member failing the entire class because of what he describes as incompetent, disruptive, and cheating students. http://news.yahoo.com/texas-m-professor-fails-entire-class-millennials-problem-201347069.html

After reading this article I’m starting to wonder if I really want to be a part of the MMAL program. Do you think this is something I should be worried about?

[QUOTE=Rich Bogad;160373]How about this: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/Academics/Graduate%20Program/Outline

Pre-requisites:
MATH 111 - Applied Business Calculus
MATH 446 - Operations Research
GBEC 121 - Macroeconomics
GBEC 122 - Microeconomics
MATH 251 - Business Statistics
GBEC 427 - Financial Management
GMBG 345 - Fundamentals of Marketing

Also, SUNY requires regiment members to fork out about $3000 for uniforms. I believe TMA is about 1/3 that. It’s also far more expensive to live in NYC than Galveston.

By the way make SURE that you have day student status.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I just registered for my courses and pre-reqs aren’t required anymore. May be they haven’t updated the website but that the direction the school is going. Again I didn’t need any of those classes. You are right about NY being more expensive but that’s just a personal choice and I love it.
I am glad you said something about the day student status, I definitely need to take of that.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Wake;160364]Congrats and thanks for your post. I’ve considered all the maritime academies, and I’m pretty much dead-set on TMA. I’ve spent some time in NYC and while it was fun, I just don’t think it’s for me.[/QUOTE]

Roger, good luck with the application process and I am pretty sure you would do great. TMA was actually my plan B since they have a similar program but I ended going with SUNY.

[QUOTE=Wake;161090]Thanks Hank.

Just came across this news article about a TAMUG Maritime Administration faculty member failing the entire class because of what he describes as incompetent, disruptive, and cheating students. http://news.yahoo.com/texas-m-professor-fails-entire-class-millennials-problem-201347069.html

After reading this article I’m starting to wonder if I really want to be a part of the MMAL program. Do you think this is something I should be worried about?[/QUOTE]

No, absolutely not. Hearing this story from an outside point of view, I would definitely agree with the professor knowing how todays college students can act. However, as I have an inside point of view knowing many people there, and well as many great professors and their opinion on the matter, I can tell you this particular professor was a coo coo bird, and has had ongoing issue and a horrible reputation. He had nothing to do with the maritime academy as well, as he was a MARA professor. From others in the class, his inability to deal with one bad student (who was eventually handled properly by the school), and his downright incompetency as a professor led to much of the class calling him out on it. Professor gets mad, fails class, and quits… Right thing to do from a competent professor? Not at all.

[QUOTE=Wake;160316]Hello. I’m interested in the MMAL-LO degree program. I would really like to hear from some people who have been through the program or are in it now, or people who have participated in a different graduate-LO program. Maybe just what you thought of the program in general, what your financial aid situation was like, how the graduate classes fit in with the LO courses, how many semesters it took, what opportunities it has led to, etc.

I plan to use the Post 9-11 GI Bill and may apply for an assistantship or fellowship, along with scholarships. I’m trying to determine if I will need to take the 6 prerequisite courses beforehand or if I can take them at the beginning of the program. Studying for the GMAT exam now. Not sure if I would start the program in spring, summer, or fall of 2016. I read that even though the MMAL program could be completed in 2 years, the MMAL-LO takes 3 years with 3 summer cruises. I would be applying for Victor Company (over 25 years old).[/QUOTE]

hey wake i am a current student here and i can give you the run down if you PM me

[QUOTE=sea-agg;161487]hey wake i am a current student here and i can give you the run down if you PM me[/QUOTE]

Hi there, I was recently accepted into TAMUG for the MARA program. I had been out of school for about 5 years, found myself living in Galveston and decided to go back to school. I figured an AS in business admin would be a good place to begin seeing as in the past five years I have moved into management with multiple companies and am highly favored by current and previous employers. I have done really well in school so far also, all A’s in math (college algebra, finite math, and business calculus 1), A’s in science (BIO 1 and 2), A’s in business classes (econ 1&2, accounting 1&2, business law, business speech, and required English composition). I have made a habit of doing the best in each of my classes and my grades reflect that. I am graduating GC magna cum laude and I am excited to attend A&M but everything is completely new to me and I don’t have sea experience or know people (or students) in the industry.

I decided on MARA because of my associates in business and I actually like my job a lot and living in Galveston so I don’t really have any other options on the island without traveling or exclusively taking online classes. Aside from taking the GMAT and keeping my grades up, what should I do to be considered for the MMAL LO track? I went to the school this week and spoke with a department head and 57 of my hours are transferring in. I begin Spring 2016. I was advised to apply for the graduate program next fall since MARA can be done as a 3+2 program and I could be awarded the BS and MMAL simultaneously. I did not discuss with him the TMA and possibly going with the license option. It doesn’t seem there are many graduate students working on their license, however I am certain that is what I would like to do - especially if I can cut down on a few hours while earning the undergraduates.

What are your thoughts on this? Are many people dropping out of the MMAL or LO program because of difficulty when completed simultaneously? Ever heard of anyone completing modified coursework like Dr. K told me about so they earn their BS, MMAL and license concurrently?

[QUOTE=anchrawy;172509]Are many people dropping out of the MMAL or LO program because of difficulty when completed simultaneously? Ever heard of anyone completing modified coursework like Dr. K told me about so they earn their BS, MMAL and license concurrently?[/QUOTE]To answer part of your question, I knew several MMAL LO program folks and they all made it through. Some were even SSO’s as well (3 extra courses and other stuff). One ended up dropping back into MART LO because of not feeling up to the extra course work.

I don’t know about doing the 3+2 with a LO though…

Sorry I know it’s an old thread but I have the same situation as you and as I am new could you define some of the terms:

MARA
BS
GC
TMA

Thank you!

If you’re in high school looking to go to college, there’s no reason to pursue MMAL-LO. You’d just do your 3-4 year MART bachelors degree with the 3rd’s license that goes along with it, then stick around for another 2 years to get your MMAL graduate degree.

Perhaps I’ve misread and you want to do a bachelors in MARA and then do MMAL-LO. That’s a different approach and you’d be doubling down on the business side of things, but that might be what you want.

1 Like

MARA - Maritime Administration (business administration degree program with maritime emphasis)
BS - Bachelor of science
GC - Galveston College
TMA - Texas Maritime Academy (proper name for the Maritime program at TAMUG, not that stupid TAMMA name they’re pushing now)

1 Like

Are there other maritime degrees that you would recommend? Other than MARA. I’m looking for all the different things that you can do because I am not experienced and want to learn about other paths that you could take the Masters program was all that I had heard of. I don’t want to waste your time, but I’d like to get a good scope of what you can do with marine engineering, administration, logistics etc.

You’re in high school correct? I would focus on your bachelors degree first and think about your Masters after a couple years into college. You will be surprised which directions you will start to move in once you get into school and experience some new things. If you wish to sail on a license, be it deck or engine, you will not need a Masters degree and can get the license with your Bachelors degree from any of the maritime academies. I have a Masters (Captains) license and it nets me more every year than most people I know with a Masters degree.

1 Like