MASTER - MATE - RESOLVE MARINE GROUP - Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Captains/ 2ndMates C/O-traineesUSCG Captains/Mates (1,600/500 ton or greater) with towing-endorsementand documented towing experience from work in Alaska surroundingwaters. Must be a U.S. citizen holding …

More…

Very interesting. it appears that Resolve is sending an AHTS to Dutch Harbor to be a standby towing/salvage vessel…

FULL TIME MASTERS - MATES for 210’ AHTS - 6,000 HP - on salvage station in Dutch Harbor, Alaska - serving the Pacific ocean and Bering Sea areas on a year around basis. Good local knowledge of Alaskan waters & weather conditions are a must for unlimited navigation in sometimes adverse conditions.

so much for the ol REDEEMER…a fixture in Dutch Harbor for over 30 years

[QUOTE=c.captain;132280]Very interesting. it appears that Resolve is sending an AHTS to Dutch Harbor to be a standby towing/salvage vessel…

so much for the ol REDEEMER…a fixture in Dutch Harbor for over 30 years[/QUOTE]

Already went. They moved the Resolve Pioneer back in July of 2013 from its old port of Mobile AL to its new port of Dutch Harbor.
Some may remember the Pioneer as the tug that towed the Carnival Triumph into Mobile AL

Now what is interesting is they are advertising for crew needed.

[QUOTE=Ocean31;132292]Now what is interesting is they are advertising for crew needed.[/QUOTE]

It is interesting, but why just the deck side?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;132294]It is interesting, but why just the deck side?[/QUOTE]

It is not just deck, two postings down is one for engineering

not really, sit in shitty Dutch harbor 180 days a year I’ll pass

[QUOTE=Ocean31;132296]It is not just deck, two postings down is one for engineering[/QUOTE]

Resolve bought Magone Marine. Its now known as Resolve Magone.
The RESOLVE PIONEER with a 600 ton derrick barge in tow arrived in Dutch Harbor last summer. Presumably, Resolve was attracted to Alaska by offshore oil activity. Now that oil exploration is on hold, one wonders if they will keep RESOLVE PIONEER on station in Dutch.

Word is that Resolve’s pay is a little below average for Alaska. I’ve heard that Resolve wants to hire a few people with Alaska experience.

[QUOTE=rshrew;132301]not really, sit in shitty Dutch harbor 180 days a year I’ll pass[/QUOTE]

To me, it is neither good nor bad that they are looking for crew, just interesting.

TugSailor’s post makes sense:
“Word is that Resolve’s pay is a little below average for Alaska. [B]I’ve heard that Resolve wants to hire a few people with Alaska experience[/B].”

Ocean31

[QUOTE=Ocean31;132304]To me, it is neither good nor bad that they are looking for crew, just interesting.

TugSailor’s post makes sense:
“Word is that Resolve’s pay is a little below average for Alaska. [B]I’ve heard that Resolve wants to hire a few people with Alaska experience[/B].”

Ocean31[/QUOTE]

Its always a good thing when anyone is looking for crew.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;132302]Resolve bought Magone Marine. Its now known as Resolve Magone.
The RESOLVE PIONEER with a 600 ton derrick barge in tow arrived in Dutch Harbor last summer. Presumably, Resolve was attracted to Alaska by offshore oil activity. Now that oil exploration is on hold, one wonders if they will keep RESOLVE PIONEER on station in Dutch.

Word is that Resolve’s pay is a little below average for Alaska. I’ve heard that Resolve wants to hire a few people with Alaska experience.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree about the pay offered. According to the listing on Gcaptain jobs, they are offering $90 to $100k year for master which for 6months is hardly much more than $500/day! Considering they want towing endorsement and Alaska experience that is low but the job would be mostly spend alongside a dock albeit in Dutch Harbor. If they want a 2/1 rotation then the dayrate becomes downright pathetic.

I wonder if you get extra “salvage” pay if you go out and get a brokendown loaded bulker (SELENDANG AYU) or car carrier (COUGAR ACE) in a raging storm and successfully fight it back into shelter without proper tow gear? What if the USCG has taken the crew off and you have to put your own people aboard to rig the tow on a deadship without power (COUGAR ACE again)? NO THANK YOU IF THE ANSWER IN NO!

OK, before anyone shits all over me I know COUGAR ACE was not in the middle of a winter storm when it heeled over on its side but it still required a crew to climb aboard and hand pull the tow gear up from the tug. Of course, one man died in the effort. I like the idea of doing rescue towing and marine salvage but there needs to be adequate compensation for all the grief involved and $500/day ain’t even close!

[QUOTE=c.captain;132308]Yes I agree about the pay offered. According to the listing on Gcaptain jobs, they are offering $90 to $100k year for master which for 6months is hardly much more than $500/day! Considering they want towing endorsement and Alaska experience that is low but the job would be mostly spend alongside a dock albeit in Dutch Harbor. If they want a 2/1 rotation then the dayrate becomes downright pathetic.

I wonder if you get extra “salvage” pay if you go out and get a brokendown loaded bulker (SELENDANG AYU) or car carrier (COUGAR ACE) in a raging storm and fight it back into port without proper tow gear? What if the USCG has taken the crew off and you have to put your own people aboard to rig the tow on a deadship without power (COUGAR ACE again)? NO THANK YOU IF THE ANSWER IN NO![/QUOTE]

Is that the way it works or does the captain just babysit the boat till it’s needed and then the expertise flies in for the job?

[QUOTE=c.captain;132308]I wonder if you get extra “salvage” pay if you go out and get a brokendown loaded bulker (SELENDANG AYU) or car carrier (COUGAR ACE) in a raging storm and successfully fight it back into shelter without proper tow gear? What if the USCG has taken the crew off and you have to put your own people aboard to rig the tow on a deadship without power (COUGAR ACE again)? NO THANK YOU IF THE ANSWER IN NO!

OK, before anyone shits all over me I know COUGAR ACE was not in the middle of a winter storm when it heeled over on its side but it still required a crew to climb aboard and hand pull the tow gear up from the tug. Of course, one man died in the effort. I like the idea of doing rescue towing and marine salvage but there needs to be adequate compensation for all the grief involved and $500/day ain’t even close![/QUOTE]

I knew the Young Man that died on the Cougar Ace. He was a good Naval Architect and good guy.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;132310]Is that the way it works or does the captain just babysit the boat till it’s needed and then the expertise flies in for the job?[/QUOTE]

HELL…I don’t know but you’d think they’d want a master who can do the job himself!

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;132310]Is that the way it works or does the captain just babysit the boat till it’s needed and then the expertise flies in for the job?[/QUOTE]

No and kinda.

Okay, Salvage work and Salvage Tugs 101.

In Salvage work there is a salvage job, and there is a dead ship tow which may or may not be a salvage job.

On a salvage job, which can last for months, (see Costa Concorida) you have a Salvage Master normally with his own crew. The Salvage Master is in overall charge, but still the Captain(s) of the support vessels are responsible for their vessel.

On a dead ship tow, you are normally under a time constraint, and you sail with what you got. And in there lies the problem.

A Salvage tug will normally spend long periods of time at the dock between jobs, and the kind of crew needed to maintain the vessel and get the tug on scene is not that hard to find/employ. And on some dead ship tows, this average kind of crew is just fine. However…when things go bad (read weather, no power on the tow and so forth) you need a experienced crew. Not just the Captain, all the crew. Nothing more scary then watching two green ABs and an inexperienced mate setting up a dead ship tow, just an accident waiting to happen, and regretfully does happen all to often.

The problem is that kind of expericanced crew cost a lot of money in labor cost, Those experienced “Can do” Mariners can make more money at a easier job elsewhere. And understand from the companies viewpoint that kind of experience is expensive and the vast majority of the time they are not being utilized. It is just when you need highly experienced crew, you really really need them. Most good companies try to achieve a balance between average crew members and experienced hard driver crew members.

So…you think you want to get into salvage work, do you bunkee?, Salvage work is actually some neat jobs, just try to remember:

You learn very little sitting at the dock, you have to be on board when they actually get a job.
Salvage work vice dead ship tows is the best time to get experience, less pressure
You can go half nuts just sitting at the dock, then go half nuts trying to complete an nearly impossible job.

Hope above helps
Ocean

Its a nice looking boat seemed out of place at Magone, didn’t know they got bought out. That is some prime real-estate they got, don’t think its leased from the natives. They finally paved the road from the airport to the spit last summer, we were joking Magone would tear it up out front out of nostalgia’s sake.

That’s not much money to try living in Dutch on if its parked at the dock most of the time.

[QUOTE=Ocean31;132318]No and kinda.

Okay, Salvage work and Salvage Tugs 101.

In Salvage work there is a salvage job, and there is a dead ship tow which may or may not be a salvage job.

On a salvage job, which can last for months, (see Costa Concorida) you have a Salvage Master normally with his own crew. The Salvage Master is in overall charge, but still the Captain(s) of the support vessels are responsible for their vessel.

On a dead ship tow, you are normally under a time constraint, and you sail with what you got. And in there lies the problem.

A Salvage tug will normally spend long periods of time at the dock between jobs, and the kind of crew needed to maintain the vessel and get the tug on scene is not that hard to find/employ. And on some dead ship tows, this average kind of crew is just fine. However…when things go bad (read weather, no power on the tow and so forth) you need a experienced crew. Not just the Captain, all the crew. Nothing more scary then watching two green ABs and an inexperienced mate setting up a dead ship tow, just an accident waiting to happen, and regretfully does happen all to often.

The problem is that kind of expericanced crew cost a lot of money in labor cost, Those experienced “Can do” Mariners can make more money at a easier job elsewhere. And understand from the companies viewpoint that kind of experience is expensive and the vast majority of the time they are not being utilized. It is just when you need highly experienced crew, you really really need them. Most good companies try to achieve a balance between average crew members and experienced hard driver crew members.

So…you think you want to get into salvage work, do you bunkee?, Salvage work is actually some neat jobs, just try to remember:

You learn very little sitting at the dock, you have to be on board when they actually get a job.
Salvage work vice dead ship tows is the best time to get experience, less pressure
You can go half nuts just sitting at the dock, then go half nuts trying to complete an nearly impossible job.

Hope above helps
Ocean[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the detailed response provides good insight into salvage etc.

What’s up with the bunkee remark? I’m not looking for work and (hopefully) never will be. Ccaptain’s description of the situation didn’t strike me as accurate, that’s why I posted. Didn’t intend to offend anyone.

Sorry, Bunkee, must mean different things for different people, I learned the term from a old salt a very long time ago, whom used to use it as “here, neighbor, let me give you hand”

It was not for you specific, just a general “tongue in cheek” remark

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;132323]Ccaptain’s description of the situation didn’t strike me as accurate, that’s why I posted. Didn’t intend to offend anyone.[/QUOTE]

what don’t you think was accurate? The pay is published but not the schedule. Obviously the job will mean lots of standby time at Magone Marine’s dock in good ol Dutch’s Harbor (original name of the dump) and likely most salvage tows will be in the winter months as is when ships suffer the most in that environment. Likely contract towing in summer.

[QUOTE=Ocean31;132324]Sorry, Bunkee, must mean different things for different people, I learned the term from a old salt a very long time ago, whom used to use it as “here, neighbor, let me give you hand”[/QUOTE]

I really do appreciate the info, sounds like you have lots of experience. I thought the tone was a bit condescending, (just try to remember)?.

Like I said, not looking for work, not going to take a pay cut to work in Dutch at a job I am not qualified for. My towing knowledge is officially rated at “just enough to be dangerous” and I’ve no experience at salvage whatsoever. .Hope never to need any.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=c.captain;132325]what don’t you think was accurate? The pay is published but not the schedule. Obviously the job will mean lots of standby time at Magone Marine’s dock in good ol Dutch’s Harbor (original name of the dump) and likely most salvage tows will be in the winter months as is when ships suffer the most in that environment. Likely contract towing in summer.[/QUOTE]

I put a question mark at the end because I figured you would enlighten me.

The Pioneer couldn’t keep the cruise ship on the tow line in calm seas. Unless they’ve done some serious upgrades it ain’t going to be worth much in the Bering Sea.