MASTER - MATE - RESOLVE MARINE GROUP - Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Surprised to hear Magone sold. I was up there until last June on the Impala with Wes, hadn’t heard. Just sitting in Dutch would suck. Hint, make regular trips to the library and grocery store for books and videos.

[QUOTE=markfromsea;132330]Surprised to hear Magone sold. I was up there until last June on the Impala with Wes, hadn’t heard. Just sitting in Dutch would suck. Hint, make regular trips to the library and grocery store for books and videos.[/QUOTE]

Magone Sells Renowned Marine Salvage Business

Some of the PNW guys might have run into or heard about this guy.

Capt. Reino Mattila

Feb. 18, 1922 - Nov. 27, 2011

Capt. Reino Mattila, 89, of Astoria, died on Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011. He was born Feb. 18, 1922 in Tieton, Washington to Finnish immigrants, Alex and Hanna Mattila.

Capt. Mattila had a long and storied career as the Skipper of the M/V Salvage Chief.

In his early years, Reino spent time as a commercial fisherman with his father prior to answering the call to service during World War II. Initially serving in the US Coast Guard from 1942 to 1943, he then transferred to serve in the US Army Transportation Corps – Water Division, serving aboard US Army MIKI Tugs. After a trip to the Aleutians, he was sent from Seattle, WA as 2nd Mate of LT 214 to Charleston, S.C. and then on to New York as 1st Mate where his tug joined a large convoy bound for Europe. Even though the convoy was disrupted by German U-Boat attack, the LT 214 arrived safely in Liverpool, England and Reino was soon promoted to Captain of the LT 214. During the June 6th, 1944 D-Day invasion, Reino and the LT 214 served off the coast of Normandy, France leightering troops from large transport ships to smaller awaiting landing craft prior to the final beach assault. At this time the LT 214 was also instrumental in towing ships damaged by German mines back to England and then towing Mullbery (artificial) harbors into place back in Normandy.

After the war, he remained in Europe making many trips towing in much needed supplies and towing out barges full of German munitions for scuttling in the North Sea…

…after investigating an odd looking ship tied up at the port, he signed on as First Mate of the M/V Salvage Chief - a new type of marine salvage vessel that was specially designed by Fred Devine of Fred Devine Diving and Salvage Inc. After his first salvage mission to rescue the beached 441 foot - 10,000 ton Liberty ship Yorkmar off a beach in Grays Harbor, Washington, Reino signed on as Captain. He remained in this position throughout his entire 50 year career with Salvage Chief until his retirement in 2002 at the impressive age of 80. Among the many milestones of his career including well over 200 successful marine salvage operations versus 3 losses, his crowning achievement was the successful removal of the oil tanker M/V Exxon Valdez from the Bligh Reef in Valdez, Alaska. His last salvage job on the Salvage Chief was in 1999 when he and his crew pulled the wood chip barge MR CHIPS off the beach which, fittingly, had landed on the same beach where he began his amazing career in 1952 when rescuing the Yorkmar.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;132326]I really do appreciate the info, sounds like you have lots of experience. I thought the tone was a bit condescending, (just try to remember)?.

Yes, have to watch that, Dry humor does not translate well in internet threads. Some people can do it, but if I could, I would be at the book store signing copies of my international best selling book, and not posting on GCaptain…

I often wonder if some of the post by CCaptain (and others) are meant as humor or tongue in cheek and not meant for people to take so serious. That is the problem with all the texting, posting and twitters, hard to convey the facial expressions and tone of voice that you would use in a normal conversation.

It is “funny” how this entire thread has grown, it is just a simple job posting by Resolve.

Ocean31

you can buy copies of my international bestseller at Goodwill Stores for 25cents a copy. Great for insulating walls!

I often wonder if some of the post by CCaptain (and others) are meant as humor or tongue in cheek and not meant for people to take so serious. That is the problem with all the texting, posting and twitters, hard to convey the facial expressions and tone of voice that you would use in a normal conversation.

my daughter tells me that I have a very particular smirk I wear when ever I am posting to the forum! She’ll just look over toward me and say "you’re on gCaptain again…aren’t you? In any event, if people here can’t tell the difference between the serious c.captain from the wise ass sarcastic c.captain then they haven’t been here long enough or are just downright dense in the ol’ noodle!

It is “funny” how this entire thread has grown, it is just a simple job posting by Resolve.

That my good man is what makes this forum both notably unique and truly wonderful!