Master 1600GTS (3000ITC) N/C to 3rd Mate Unlimited?

What is required? I received my Master 1600GTS (3000ITC) N/C back in 2002. I have my STCW '95. I have my AB unlimited. I’ve been working have have several years on vessels of over 2000GTS. (They were SOLAS so their GTS = ITC) My license doesn’t state OSV nor does my AB. But do I qualify for the OICNW part? My AB also does not state RFPNW but it does state AB Unlimited.

Will I have to take all of the OICNW courses to meet the requirments?

Thank you for your time and attention.

[quote=Wu Jen;29213]What is required? I received my Master 1600GTS (3000ITC) N/C back in 2002. I have my STCW '95. I have my AB unlimited. I’ve been working have have several years on vessels of over 2000GTS. (They were SOLAS so their GTS = ITC) My license doesn’t state OSV nor does my AB. But do I qualify for the OICNW part? My AB also does not state RFPNW but it does state AB Unlimited.

Will I have to take all of the OICNW courses to meet the requirments?

Thank you for your time and attention.[/quote]

[B]Good luck in your endeavor Wu, you will find lots and lots of helpful literature on this very subject if you research past posts here. If you still have questions after doing that, I am sure many of us will be happy to generate further detail regarding questions you may still not be clear on. [/B]
[B] Again good luck and keep climbing…[/B]

[quote=stevefoster;29218][B]Good luck in your endeavor Wu, you will find lots and lots of helpful literature on this very subject if you research past posts here. If you still have questions after doing that, I am sure many of us will be happy to generate further detail regarding questions you may still not be clear on. [/B]
[B] Again good luck and keep climbing…[/B][/quote]

Well, it looks like I will get a Limited 3rd Mate license. After reading about NVIC 15-02. I’m guessing that I will either have to do the assessments or I will have to bite the bullet and do the other courses that I do not have. I do have GMDSS and ARPA and firefighting etc already done.

One more question. Say I go and get my Celestial Certification. From the date that I receive it I only have 1 year to get it put on my license correct?

That is my understanding…

Thanks Steve, appreciate it.

[QUOTE=Wu Jen;29221]One more question. Say I go and get my Celestial Certification. From the date that I receive it I only have 1 year to get it put on my license correct?[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are currently no approved celestial courses that can be used in lieu of a celestial exam at the 3rd Mate level, so you’ll still need to take that exam module if you go for an oceans license.

I don’t have a 3rd’s yet. I do have a 1600 (3000ITC) I was speaking of the celestial course for it. But it looks like to get the Celestial for it now will require me to go take all the STCW classes to upgrade my license. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Wu Jen;29264]I don’t have a 3rd’s yet. I do have a 1600 (3000ITC) I was speaking of the celestial course for it. But it looks like to get the Celestial for it now will require me to go take all the STCW classes to upgrade my license. :([/QUOTE]

What makes you think that. You should just have to take the course…???