Maritime Security

Have you approached the companies that you have investigated and requested what marine qualifications they require of their candidates for employment? That seems like the most logical first step. Good luck. Don’t let your personality type get in the way of accepting advice or taking a lower entry level position in you “new” security position. Just thought I’d add that, not trying to be a prick.

Some things come to some folks naturally, I guess.

I just couldn’t resist. . . . . .

Thanks for the advise and taking an entry level position would be fine with me.

Captain = Prick

At times, it is necessary. :slight_smile:

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;23040]Have you applied here?-
https://secure.blackwaterusa.com/ [/quote]

Blackwater (now “Xe”) has their own BST courses (or did until very recently, I don’t know if the approvals were renewed).

Try Nexus One…they are currently involved with security in the Gulf of Aden and Somali Basin. Trident Group is excellent, but require a very specific background.

GET YOUR TWIC CARD! Not trying to tell you what to do, but we had an incident where we thought we were going to lose our security team because they didn’t all have TWIC cards. This has since been rectified.

USCG hasn’t required any other training or documentation for our security team - no BST or MMD.

From personal statistics, you are currently looking at a 5% chance of a security incident on a transit through this area. Average incident is 11-12 minutes. It’s a lot of standing watch and discussing scenarios…

Jeff,

Can you provide further deets on the availability of these MSC classes to the public (other than FRC & Flashing Light?) I’d like to pick up any available, esp now that those Cheapie Charlie VSO/FSO classes in Louisiana seem to have vanished?

Thanks & take care,

JGB

[quote=Jeffrox;23045]Here’s another link, I’m sure you can Google up more of them:
http://www.piracysuppression.com/home.html

In addition to the good training advice already given, I also suggest the available Military Sealift Command (MSC) training;
Anti-Terrorist Level I Awareness Training (available on line),
Shipboard Security Tactics (SST) with Baton Certification (may not be available if not crewed-up),
Small Arms/Use of Deadly Force Training for 9mm Pistol-12GA Riot Shotgun-M 14 Rifle. (available to the public)
Fast Rescue Craft Training would be useful.
Also consider Morse Code Visual Signaling/Flashing Light.[/quote]

[LEFT]Info for samall arms training:
Please call Mary Matlock (410-859-5700 x 3226) for MITAGS course availability. If MITAGS does not have a course available you must call
one of the contacts below to schedule your Small Arms training. Discuss with them the best location and price for room and board during your
stay while taking the course. Please read the text box note below![/LEFT]
[B][LEFT]Small Arms training is available through the MSC in:[/LEFT]
[/B][LEFT] San Diego, CA (Grif or Joe – 619-556-9470)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Freehold, NJ (Bobbi Michelson – 732-938-4979 x 19)[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Lynnhaven, VA (Bobbi Michelson – 732-938-4979 x 19) (near Virginia Beach)[/LEFT]
 Mobile, AL “First Class Small Arms” (William Gary Mozingo – 251-665-0555 office – 251-402-4687 cell).