Maritime Academies kick ass again on Payscale.com's list of Best Paying Universities

Not all maritime schools reported their information but I’m sure it’s similar.

Led by SUNY Maritime College at 14th overall out of about 1,000 universities… higher than many Ivy League schools. Highest paid schools seem disproportionately clustered in the northeast. Though the top schools… were west coast’s Harvey Mudd College and California Tech…

[QUOTE=Starboard Ten;120136]http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014

Not all maritime schools reported their information but I’m sure it’s similar.

Led by SUNY Maritime College at 14th overall out of about 1,000 universities… higher than many Ivy League schools. Highest paid schools seem disproportionately clustered in the northeast. Though the top schools… were west coast’s Harvey Mudd College and California Tech…[/QUOTE]

do you not realize the backlash you are going to incite from the hawsepipers on this forum?

or is that your intention?

Ensign’s pay is $77,100? Oh, wait, never mind. Saw the asterix. What graduates go straight to civilian jobs from USNA? Hmm.

[QUOTE=cmakin;120146]Ensign’s pay is $77,100? Oh, wait, never mind. Saw the asterix. What graduates go straight to civilian jobs from USNA? Hmm.[/QUOTE]

Might it be referring to what graduates earn in the private sector after their service commitment has been reached? I’ve seen the service academies ranked high often, not sure what a new Ensign’s pay is overall, once everything in their benefits gets factored in.

[QUOTE=ShooterMcGavin;120157]Might it be referring to what graduates earn in the private sector after their service commitment has been reached? I’ve seen the service academies ranked high often, not sure what a new Ensign’s pay is overall, once everything in their benefits gets factored in.[/QUOTE]

Well, that hardly is the equivalent of the starting income of a graduate from another college, then.

Base pay for an Ensign with no prior service is $34,516.80 per year gross. Does not include any additional allowances, such as housing or subsistence.

I’m glad to see the taxes I pay are doing some people some good.

[QUOTE=Robert;120165]Base pay for an Ensign with no prior service is $34,516.80 per year gross. Does not include any additional allowances, such as housing or subsistence.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t find what it is with the additional benefits, thought I saw someone mention elsewhere once that it reaches roughly $50,000, though they seem to say that is what it’s [I]worth[/I], not what they are [I]actually [/I]putting in the bank. Either way, if it’s basing that on what they earn AFTER their commitment to the Navy has ended and they return to the private sector, it doesn’t seem like a reasonable comparison, seeing as they have accrued five to eight years of experience in the service and entered the private sector later than most.

Could it be some weird statistical thing? A few graduates found unfit for military duty and discharged after graduations or similar?

Top starting pay at my school was one fellow at $125,000 - and he was not a license major. He was a business major who did an overseas co-op. The company liked him and put him right to work at their US office.

A fresh CG Ensign here in Alaska will make $62,796 plus sea pay. Alaska, Hawaii and overseas jobs make more than lower 48.

did some of you guys even bother to read the list all the way to the bottom???

[B]* Data represents those in the civilian labor force, not active service members. (THIS IS AT THE BOTTOM, the rest in bold is from methodology description page)

Note: The alumni sample considered for the military schools (e.g., The United States Air Force Academy) only includes those who are currently in the civilian labor force and does not include alumni who are active service members.
Starting Employees: These are full-time employees with five years of experience or less in their career or field who hold a bachelor’s degree and no higher degrees.

For the graduates in this data set, the typical (median) starting employee is 25 years old and has two years of experience.[/B]

“Either way, if it’s basing that on what they earn AFTER their commitment to the Navy has ended and they return to the private sector, …”

yes, that’s is exactly what it is saying.

and purely based on private sector starting salary, annapolis and west point are 1 and 2 on the list.

there is no aberration in the list. 5-7 yrs experience active duty does not always translate to some perfect match job in the private world. there are plenty of grads from those 2 schools who are not degreed in high profile majors such as physics, engineering, chemistry, etc. there are plenty of poli sci majors, history majors, etc.

the list is interactive and can be sorted ascedning/descending based on the criteria in all columns.

Another interesting part of Payscale.com’s list is the list of highest paying majors:

Click on that and although Marine Engineering is not listed, it looks like it might pay the highest of all majors except Petroleum Engineering?

I’m a deck guy, any engineers have any input on that?