Graduating from maritime

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if companies tend like to see one academy over the other. So out of SUNY, Great Lakes, California, Mass, Maine, and Texas A&M if one looks better than the other, or is all about the license you earn.

Thanks in advance

There seems to be nearly a half dozen threads like this going at once.

Its all about your problem solving ability to look for an obvious answer before asking a question.

The school doesn’t matter if you put in a solid effort. They’re all good. Some may provide a better result if you’re a shit student perhaps but not really. If you get good grades, get your hands dirty and maximize your experience there you will be fine regardless of which one.

Your best bet is to go to the one that will be most economical, case closed. If you live in maine, go to maine. If you live in texas, go to texas, etc.

Most insiders know there is only one golden ticket and that is from the esteemed halls of the Unites States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY. Highly selective and only the best of the best are admitted. Perks include free tuition, room & board, unparalleled Espirit D’Corps, Excellent instructors and administration, beautiful grounds, state of the art technology and training ships and a world class marching band.

People only attend State schools because they are too dumb to get into USMMA. Graduates of USMMA are automatically fast tracked up the ranks in companies. Sea time is not a prerequisite to advancement for USMMA graduates and you can easily go from 3rd mate to Master in a couple years. Imagine being the captain of your own Super Tanker at the age of 25.

Now this is only one man’s opinion so you should reach out to other respected KP alumni such as C.Captain for their perspective.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;178287]Most insiders know there is only one golden ticket and that is from the esteemed halls of the Unites States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY. Highly selective and only the best of the best are admitted. Perks include free tuition, room & board, unparalleled Espirit D’Corps, Excellent instructors and administration, beautiful grounds, state of the art technology and training ships and a world class marching band.

People only attend State schools because they are too dumb to get into USMMA. Graduates of USMMA are automatically fast tracked up the ranks in companies. Sea time is not a prerequisite to advancement for USMMA graduates and you can easily go from 3rd mate to Master in a couple years. Imagine being the captain of your own Super Tanker at the age of 25.

Now this is only one man’s opinion so you should reach out to other respected KP alumni such as C.Captain for their perspective.[/QUOTE]

Never have I read truer words here in this forum. Glad that you understand. . . . .

yes, the best (only) place for overpaid and underworked foreign flag DPO jobs.

This might sound like sarcasm, but to be honest, it’s pretty close to the truth

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;178287]Most insiders know there is only one golden ticket and that is from the esteemed halls of the Unites States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY. Highly selective and only the best of the best are admitted. Perks include free tuition, room & board, unparalleled Espirit D’Corps, Excellent instructors and administration, beautiful grounds, state of the art technology and training ships and a world class marching band.

Now this is only one man’s opinion so you should reach out to other respected KP alumni such as C.Captain for their perspective.[/QUOTE]

Amazing. I toss a grenade in the middle of this thread just to see the sparks fly and it doesn’t even fizzle.

You don’t suppose the forum has outgrown the senseless ‘which academy is best’ argument, do you?

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;178399]Amazing. I toss a grenade in the middle of this thread just to see the sparks fly and it doesn’t even fizzle.

You don’t suppose the forum has outgrown the senseless ‘which academy is best’ argument, do you?[/QUOTE]

Probably more to do with everyone wondering where the new graduate will find work no matter where they graduate from? The US “merchant marine” is a disappearing labor force supported over the last few years by the now dead/dying oil business. With the passage of TPP and other “trade” legislation soon to be in enacted there will be no need for US merchant mariners as they will be replaced by lower priced labor from other countries with the same qualifications.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;178416]Probably more to do with everyone wondering where the new graduate will find work no matter where they graduate from? The US “merchant marine” is a disappearing labor force supported over the last few years by the now dead/dying oil business. With the passage of TPP and other “trade” legislation soon to be in enacted there will be no need for US merchant mariners as they will be replaced by lower priced labor from other countries with the same qualifications.[/QUOTE]

Where’s the 'Dislike" button?

with that said, I don’t understand why the schools keep pushing to expand.

because most people who graduate from an academy do not go to sea anymore. There is a big market for shoreside opportunities

My gut feel is there will still be a place for entry level 3rd mates who want to ship.

What I envision is officers a little higher up the food chain will have a tougher go of it while upward mobility stagnates and more and more responsibilities are pushed to the junior guys.

Either way - it sux.

The only companies hiring more than just their commercial cruise cadets was MSC and possibly Kirby but i don’t think anyone has heard back from Kirby yet. I heard that the puget sound ferry was hiring but they weren’t paying anything

I’m hiring, especially if you have access to a pick-up, trailer, and a shovel. I need to move a shit ton of dirt from my yard and would love to help a cadet or newly licensed mariner out, even the GLMA couch surfer or one of the sacred few from KP.