Marinol?

Does anyone know what the USCG stance is on a lisecned mariner being prescribed Marinol, temporarily, and terminates the prescription before his next hitch? Or something??

i have nerve pain related to shingles, cannabis helps a lot, but that’s a no no. Marinol is a prescription synthetic version of THC. I wonder if it’s worth getting a prescription?

I know the doctors commonly prescribe heavier pain killers, like codeine but I don’t want anything to do with that.

Thanks for any information!

Last I saw was this.

https://www.uscg.mil/msib/docs/002_14_1-14-2014.pdf

I googled “USCG” and “marijuana”.

You might try Motrin (ibuprophen). You can actually get prescription for up to 600mg per pill. BUT you can take up to 3 over the counter pills (200mg). You can’t take this stuff forever. Like all pain meds, it can cause harm. When I was suffering from shingles, my doc strongly suggested Motrin. He dealt with pain a lot in his practice because he was he team doc for the NY Jets.

A friend had nerve pain in his foot. He swore by Aleve. I do not know what the max is for that medicine.

A friend, fellow mariner, and top notch engineer is now dying after too many years of taking motrin for muscle pain. I don’t know how long he has left but I’m given to understand that it’s a lot less than he otherwise would have. Definitely gotta be careful with that stuff! It’s fine in the short term, but it’s no long term solution, that’s for damn sure.

[QUOTE=Hobb C. Peatfingers;152418]Does anyone know what the USCG stance is on a lisecned mariner being prescribed Marinol, temporarily, and terminates the prescription before his next hitch? Or something?? i have nerve pain related to shingles, cannabis helps a lot, but that’s a no no. Marinol is a prescription synthetic version of THC. I wonder if it’s worth getting a prescription?[/QUOTE]

This won’t give you a definitve answer, but it indicates that you will need to go through a complicated process. Note in particular the part about DOT disclosing the usage and discussing possible safety risks with your employer:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.6f23687cf7b00b0f22e4c6962d9c8789/?vgnextoid=b05e11a0f8f6b110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextchannel=9574d7dcb2588110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD