Mariners carrying Knives

[B][I][U]Comms[/U][/I][/B]…I believe a more correct target would be the companies and their underwriters…they’re are all about the numbers, statistics and “risk management”…they’re “risk” not the individual mariner’s!!

**as masters this might be a good starting point to begin “taking” our vessels back…YEAH LIKE THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!

[B][I][U]bob[/U][/I][/B]…what about the diver…does he “splash” with an “alternate cutting device” instead of his trusty knife??IMHO there policy potentially puts the diver, tenders, deckhands, and anyone on deck at “risk”…sounds like the desk pilots are hard at work in your company…I smell the potential for a big, fat and tasty Jones Act settlement!!

[quote=auxiliaryComms;16142]I have my doubts on the effectiveness of such things, but if I could come up with a form letter that shotgunned the responsible parties would anyone be interested?

In my mind the targets would be:

1. Your federal congressman
  2. Your state congressman
  3. Admiral Allen (Coast Guard Commandant)
  4. Head of the TSA
  5. Head of Homeland Security

Aside from common sense I believe we can find a lot of documented practice and a lot of statistics to present a good argument for lifting and banning restrictions.

Some that pop to mind:

1. Knives are standard issue REQUIRED equipment for USCG Boat Crews because of their safety uses (I can probably get regulation to back this up).

2. There are numerous cases that prove the tool is not the danger in a hijacking or an attack, determined people have successfully used whatever they have to accomplish their crimes. I think it could be reasonably illustrated that banning knives has no impact at all on air safety.

3. There are, as pointed out above, investigation reports that cite the lack of a knife as a contributing factor to tragedy at sea.

I think there is a good case to cause the Coast Guard to mandate the carrying of a knife at sea and prohibit companies from saying otherwise.

I also think with that there would have to be some sort of exception or removal of the knife ban at airports and other public transportation resources.[/quote]
[B]Count me in…[/B]

Seadawag:

Divers are alowed to have a knife on their harness only when ready to get wet. The standby diver also has one dangling on their harness. But the people who actually do all the deck work (Tenders) are denied.

Bob

Knife and flashlight. Those were the two things I was taught as a cadet to always have with me aboard ship.

But back to the original question–if these fucking roughnecks are dumb enough to cut themselves with their own knives, then why the hell are they even allowed to work out at sea?? Everything at sea can be a safety hazard if you’re a dumb-ass.

That’s nuts. I was taught from early on, from guys that are probably dead from old age, never walk out on deck without your knife and channel locks. Borrowed a guys spare knife and got the channel locks first port.

That’s got to be something on the oil company side. I have never heard of a knife ban in any of the companies I have worked for.

One of the first things I ask a green horn is if he has a pocket knife. If he doesn’t next hitch, he better have one.

Personally the only time I don’t have a knife on me is when I don’t have my pants on.

My favorite has always been the Syderco Assist series…if this knife doesn’t cut it, you need a torch, fire axe, or a chain saw.
http://www.TheSpydercoStore.com/Spyderco-Assist-Orange-Combo-Edge-Knife-p/c79psor.htm

but, for those who have the beards, tattoos, and piss salt water, this might be a better collection…
http://www.worldknives.com/types/nautical-knives-9.html

I have a Spyderco Rescue (similar to the Assist) and a Spyderco Pacific Salt, and I love both knives. I see Myerchin on the piss salt water list - I’m not a fan of them. I had one for a while, got some salt water on it, forgot to wash it off, and even though it claims to be stainless, the thing rusted completely over. Lesson learned…always wash my knife off, and never by Myerchin again.

Gerber makes some great knives. I carry a Gerber Tanto folding knife with a partially serrated edge. It’s designed for one-handed opening. I also carry a Gerber multi-tool and both have survived the engine room really well.

I have never heard of a boat company banning knives. One oil company did try to ban knives aboard, even in the galley. My company’s response was to provide kevlar gloves for use in the galley. Even the company saw the ban of knives as ridiculous. Just try to prepare a meal using only kitchen scissors. While sheath knives are not allowed, pocket knives are encouraged.

I expect my hands to have a pocket knife with them on watch. I prefer one with a sheepsfoot blade, like that found on most marlin spike knives. For day to day use on deck, the shears with the razor type blade are excellent. They will easily cut through line and keep your knife sharp for times when the shears are not at hand. For line too large to fit inside the jaws of the shears you merely cut the individual strands. The only problem with the shears is that an inept deckhand will cut the finger off instead of merely slicing it open.

Amen to that!

I have worked for both Oceaneering and Global in the Gulf and both ban knives onboard. WHEN are we going to take back the boats from the lawyers and insurance idiots??? This is beyond the point of ridiculous now and on to the point of endangering peoples lives all in the name of "safety"
We also need to wake up and get the rules changed at the airports about knives since that is also pure stupidity but thats another issue. I would sure as hell rather take my chances of being able to defend myself when it comes down to it then depend on some lost “air marshall” or rent a cop at the airport. Who ever said they had a right to take away our right to self defense just because we were trying to go somewhere???
JP

If the rules say to shit in your left hand and take two bites… I always try to carry a pocket knife. If I forget it I feel just a tad undressed. I give knives away too. Once I give an ordinary seaman a knife I’ll ask periodically if they have knife. When they tell me no I know I don’t have a potential AB but a “Maybe”.

Oh, and about 10 years ago I forgot I had an Opinel #6 knife in my carry on bag. The Japanese customs guy found it. I had to fill out a form. I’ll bet my little wood handled baby is sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere in Tokyo

And I bet it has a nice home somewhere in Japan.

If it will make you feel any better, our family has a Japanese Officer’s Samurai sword that my father in law brought back from Gaudalcanal. Needless to say the Japanese Officer was not able to fill out any forms…

Sailor Knife should be allowed but should not have a pointy end.
There’s not too many things in the ship/boat that require pricking.

sailor knifes on one tuna seiner have no pointy ends and no accidental injury to crew/people…

[quote=capitanahn;19234]Sailor Knife should be allowed but should not have a pointy end.
There’s not too many things in the ship/boat that require pricking.

sailor knifes on one tuna seiner have no pointy ends and no accidental injury to crew/people…[/quote]

For many years I have used a [B]rigger’s knife[/B] which has a non pointed blade and a marlin spike.

Has the marlin spike been blunted?

I always wanted to perform a lobotomy…:eek::rolleyes: