Marine Radio Operator/Technology Positions?

Hey everyone. I just completed my BST, MMC and TWIC stuff and wanted to thank everybody for the responses and information you gave in the Stupid Newbie thread I posted a few months back. Without it, I really wouldn’t have gotten anywhere of note.

I was talking with one of my customers yesterday who mentioned that with my background in technology, I’d be a good fit for a Marine Radio Operator position. I did some research, and I can’t seem to find anything about it as regards actual training and courses, just an FCC license application site. Is this something one should go to a class for? If not, is there a recommended book?

Thanks!

I think the only ships that carry any form of radio operator these days are those in the Military Sealift Command Fleet or maybe also some of those on charter to it. GMDSS pretty much ended the ship’s RO from the face to the planet otherwise I am afraid.

Drillships and other sophisticated DP vessels all generally carry at least one Electronics Technical Officer (ETO) and to be honest I do not think there are any specific licenses required for the job but rather a very good undertanding of DP system architecture plus it also helps to know how to fix the V-Sat when it goes down…

good luck in your search

Dang. All right, then.

Actually, Radio Operators on drillships don’t appear to need any specific knowledge when it comes to DP or satellite comms. If I were you, I’d talk with one of the big offshore drilling contractors like Transocean and chat with one of the recruiters. They would likely be able to give you specific advice. I also know a few Radio Operators who may be able to help you as well…

Rob

Isn’t the Radio Operator’s position on a rig actually now days a clerk? Once upon a time when the rigs needed to communicate via SSB with shore, the R/O did actually operate radios. Now with megabandwidth V-Sat systems alot of rigs have either eliminated R/O’s or changed their job description.
The R/O’s on rigs I been on mainly keep POB lists and fill out helicopter manifests. Certainly not a technical job.

[B]Second Radio Electronics Technician[/B]

CIVMAR Support Center, Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified United States Citizens who are currently not employed with Military Sealift Fleet Support Command (MSFSC) as civil service mariner CIVMAR) employees. Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Duties:

[B]First Radio Electronics Technician[/B]

CIVMAR Support Center, Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified United States Citizens who are currently not employed with Military Sealift Fleet Support Command (MSFSC) as civil service mariner (CIVMAR) employees. Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.