Man Overboard Drills

Does anyone know if there is a minimum time required, (by the USCG), to launch a rescue craft, (skiff), and recover a man over board victim.

[QUOTE=Engr1921;160772]Does anyone know if there is a minimum time required, (by the USCG), to launch a rescue craft, (skiff), and recover a man over board victim.[/QUOTE]

It’ in the CFRs somewhere, I believe it says sufficient drills for the crew to remained proficient. Your SMS may have specific requirements.

Oh, misread your post. No min time as far as I know. I believe the word is proficient.

There isn’t any “requirement” at all to successfully recover a crew overboard. It’s obviously better if you do. A lot depends on how quickly the MOB gets reported, ship’s speed, length of time of the search, environmental conditions at the time.

Just refer to SOLAS /LSA and the new MSC regarding the recovery of people from water. All considering you are on a vessel over 500 GT. The USCG rarely deviates from SOLAS.

Yeah, I searched the CFR and was not able to find any reference to a minimum time to recover.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Engr1921;160772]Does anyone know if there is a minimum time required …[/QUOTE]

There is no statutory limit but it is nice if the time is short enough to be a rescue and not a recovery.

I guess the proficiency may have a relationship with the annoyance factor of the MOB. . . .

The fast rescue boat (FRB) has to be launched in five minutes. That’s why it’s called “fast” btw, not the speed it’s capable of. After that depends on a lot of variables.