Making the switch from container ships to DPO

Hi I have recently been trying to get into the offshore drilling industry and find that companies usually want you to have your dp cert. Does anyone know if it would help to go ahead and take the DP courses. I know I would not have the full cert but i guess it would show that im taking the initiative or would it just be a waste of money.

I have seen this tactic work. I don’t know if I really agree with it, but if my circumstances were different I might do it myself. One other thing you can do is trying to get on as an assistant DPO/trainee with Transocean, Pacific, Noble, Diamond, or a supply boat company. The thing is it is a lot easier and cheaper to take a licensed mate and make him a DPO, than take an unlicensed DPO and make him a mate. I have seen it done.

It won’t be a waste of money either way it turns out.

How do you go about being a DPO? What size lience do you need?? I keep hearing about these guys and all the money they make.

[QUOTE=KennyW1983;49478]How do you go about being a DPO? What size lience do you need?? I keep hearing about these guys and all the money they make.[/QUOTE] You need not have a license to be a DPO. It helps to have a license or at least an AB ticket but I have worked with DPOs that had no license, they just worked for a company that sent them to school while they were a clerk onboard…Good luck.

The Nautical Institute has decided to make some changes and from what I hear, starting Jan 1 2012, they will require a DPO to have a license. They will have to have at least a 200 ton STCW. I hear a lot of talk that they want to increase that to at least 1600/3000 ton STCW and possibly even unlimited license will be required. So, if you want to get to be a DPO, you had better go get yourself in a class asap! As far as I understand it, they will allow a person to start their training (take the classes) and sail as trainee DPO but will not allow anyone to get the DP certificate until you get the required license. People who aready have the DP certificate are supposed to be grandfathered in.
It would be much better to get a job with a company like Noble or Transocean that will send you to the training, but I wouldn;t hang all my hopes on that, especially with the NI changes coming up so soon! If it was me in your position and I was wanting to get started as a DPO, I would go take at least the Induction Course asap!

Noble will not hire anybody to be a trainee DPO without an unlimited tonnage license first. They will hire you to be a DPO if you have a DP certificate and a limited tonnage license however. Either way you’re not getting aboard without one or the other. If you have the unlimited tonnage license and the DP induction course, I have no clue what you will find? Just depends on the day you call.

My advice…suck it up and pray you can get a mate’s berth on a DP supplyboat and do your time like the rest of us had to in our careers to get that f’ng DP cert. Just like the man said…there is no free lunch out there!

So just an update i have applied to most drilling companies and quite a few supply companies to no avail but im still keeping my hopes high. Im just going to keep hounding them and sending resumes, I also recently got recruiter contact info for a few of the big companies so im sending resumes directly to them. Seems that this is going to be a long process but thats ok. Also i was trying to figure out which license is required for ballast control operator and also which license in the equivalent of it. USCG site just confused me even more.

[QUOTE=c.captain;49489]Noble will not hire anybody to be a trainee DPO without an unlimited tonnage license first. They will hire you to be a DPO if you have a DP certificate and a limited tonnage license however. Either way you’re not getting aboard without one or the other. If you have the unlimited tonnage license and the DP induction course, I have no clue what you will find? Just depends on the day you call.

My advice…suck it up and pray you can get a mate’s berth on a DP supplyboat and do your time like the rest of us had to in our careers to get that f’ng DP cert. Just like the man said…there is no free lunch out there![/QUOTE]

Im praying my friend

[QUOTE=New-mate;50088]So just an update i have applied to most drilling companies and quite a few supply companies to no avail but im still keeping my hopes high. Im just going to keep hounding them and sending resumes, I also recently got recruiter contact info for a few of the big companies so im sending resumes directly to them. Seems that this is going to be a long process but thats ok. Also i was trying to figure out which license is required for ballast control operator and also which license in the equivalent of it. USCG site just confused me even more.[/QUOTE]

You need a BCO license to be a Ballast Control Operator… If you hold an unlimited license all you need is 28 days as a Ballast Control Operator Trainee under the direct supervision of a licensed BCO or Barge Supervisor. Your sea time letter should include that sentence. You also, have to complete a one week MODU stability class offered at Martin International (LaPlace, LA) or Randy Smith in Houston. Don’t let anyone blow smoke saying you need one year assigned to a MODU. That is for people who do not hold an unlimited license. I highlighted the parts that apply to you. Below is the CFR:

[B]§ 11.474 Officer endorsements as ballast control operator.[/B]

(a) To qualify for an endorsement as ballast control operator (BCO), an applicant must:
(1) Present evidence of the following experience:
(i) One year of employment assigned to MODUs including at least 28 days of service as a trainee under the supervision of an individual holding a license or MMC endorsement as ballast control operator; or
(ii) A degree from a program in engineering or engineering technology which is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Commanding Officer, National Maritime Center will give consideration to accepting education credentials from programs having other than ABET accreditation. An applicant qualifying through a degree program must also have at least 28 days of service as a trainee under the supervision of an individual holding a license or MMC endorsement as ballast control operator; and
(2) Present evidence of training course completion as follows:
B A certificate from a Coast Guard approved stability course approved for a license or MMC endorsement as barge supervisor or ballast control operator;[/B]
B A certificate from a Coast Guard approved survival suit and survival craft training course; and[/B]
B A certificate from a firefighting training course as required by §11.205(d) of this part.[/B]
B An applicant for an endorsement as BCO who holds an unlimited license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, chief engineer, or assistant engineer must satisfy the requirements in paragraph (a)(2) of this section and have at least 28 days of service as a trainee under the supervision of an individual holding an endorsement as ballast control operator.[/B]

[B]You will also have to take a 1 week class at Martin International or Randy Smith for BCO in Lieu of testing or apply and test at the Coast Guard.[/B]