Maintaining a license if you can't get to sea

I managed to get my Mate license earlier this year but there’s a question now of whether I’ll have to leave my current career before I can rotate out to a sea-going assignment. If it does turn out I have to leave I’m going to be looking as hard as I can to find anything from AB up that may pay the bills but it sounds like sea-going work is hard to come by now. With a family to feed I’m going to have to take what I can get which may end up having little or nought to do with sailing.

If that were the case, are there ways to keep my currency? What do folks usually do when there’s a shortage of work? I’d hate to lose my license and I’d hate being stuck on land the rest of my working life, but if that’s what it takes to keep the family fed so be it. Just want to make sure I’m not missing other options.

If you don’t have at least one year of sea time in the previous five years, you can renew your officer endorsement (license) with a take-home, open book test. The test is mailed to you and when you’re done you send it back to the REC.

For STCW, to renew until December 31, 2016, if you don’t have the one year in five you will need to take one of the few avauilable Basic Safety refresher courses, or re-take the original courses.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;169604]I managed to get my Mate license earlier this year but there’s a question now of whether I’ll have to leave my current career before I can rotate out to a sea-going assignment. If it does turn out I have to leave I’m going to be looking as hard as I can to find anything from AB up that may pay the bills but it sounds like sea-going work is hard to come by now. With a family to feed I’m going to have to take what I can get which may end up having little or nought to do with sailing.

If that were the case, are there ways to keep my currency? What do folks usually do when there’s a shortage of work? I’d hate to lose my license and I’d hate being stuck on land the rest of my working life, but if that’s what it takes to keep the family fed so be it. Just want to make sure I’m not missing other options.[/QUOTE]

Have the NMC freeze your license

If you’re financial situation is less than ideal, then you can always apply to the US Coast Guard to put your license into a “Continuity” status. Not exactly sure what the “Continuity” process entails. I think it is just basically putting your license into dormant status where you can renew you it when you find the time to take a course. You’ll need to check the NMC website about this, though. I think it basically “buys you time” and is more accommodating for guys who have a license, but who are not currently using it. Check it out on the NMC website. I just recently renewed my 3/M license…took all the courses: BST, Radar Renewal, Tankerman PIC and also Vessel Security Officer and the take-home exam.

I’m not sailing on my license right now. Went to a maritime academy. Did a brief stint sailing, worked a variety of land jobs and still working on land. Currently working as a customer service rep at a call center at a major insurance company. Not exactly seagoing pay, but there are times when I’m happy to just sleep in my own bed at night.

Hope that helps. That’s just my two cents.

Continuity will “freeze” your MMC and allow you to renew in the future. But if lack of recent sea timne is an issue, that can only get worse over time, so you’re still going to have to do that at home renewal test to restore the MMC to active status. And, you would have to apply to get it out of continuity status and restore it to acrtive status. You would have to wait while the application is processed and you complete the test, all of which compromises your ability to quickly accept employment if it arises. Copntinuity is a viable option if you knbow you will not be using your MMC for an extended period, but if you’re actively seeking work, it may not be a good option.

Also, you can renew an MMC up to one year fater it expires. Whgile you can’t work on an expired MMC, you would have a little more time to consider your options.