Maersk Fires 5 in Midshipman-X Case

Given the obviously well informed quality of 95% of his prolific contributions, I’m inclined to give him a pass on the occasional intemperate remark.

I think what he was trying to say was that he’d seen a few rotten apples in the cadet barrel too.

In twent years I’ve seen a bushel of rotten apples. What provoked me was that article put up by ombugge that said cadets, “are not only vulnerable in their role as cadets, in the bottom of the hierarchy.” I disagree. But this wasn’t the thread to post that opinion so I deleted it.

But let me ask this, @BeerCaptain, @New3M: you think it’s only the cadets being mistreated, abused and raped? I think there are a lot more ordinaries, wipers and stewards who get the same treatment. Except they get it from rotten senior unlicensed in addition to rotten officers. And there is no institution to defend them. No alumni association, no maritime collages. They are mistreated - including rape - and they are voiceless. Cadets are hardly “the bottom of the hierarchy.”

Where is the proposal to protect the other vulnerable seafarers regardless of rank or rate? Where is the required training? The inspections? The silly camera-at-the-door? There is none.

So yeah, I’m annoyed with the ‘poor cadet’ bullshit. It’s like crying over poor Paris Hilton or poor Kim Kardashian. No one gives a shit about the little people.

Not sorry you didn’t like my earlier comment.

5 Likes

You ever sail as a cadet? No? Shocking.

No one implied this isn’t happening to others. You’re comment is ridiculous because in this industry no one is “Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian”. And even so, they deserve to get raped? You’re cool with that?

Idk what you’re so bitter about, but you’re what makes this industry suck for younger people who are trying to make it better.

I’m one of the voices who would like to see the assaults stop. Read the old threads. Let me help you:

Of course they are. People only give a shit because it’s a King’s Point cadet, with a congressperson who wrote a letter for her to go to that school. An alumni association that needs to look good. Some appointed administrators who are freaked about their next appointment. A company afraid of bad publicity.

Would a wiper who got raped by her first engineer get the same treatment? Naw. They’d say ‘That dumb bitch was lazy and only filed a false claim to cause trouble.’ Despite your denials you know that’s how it works.

In this instance there is an opportunity to address abuse, bullying and assault, including rape, across the industry. But the industry isn’t interested. Read that EMBARC checklist. It addresses cadet abuse. The rest of the crew?

https://www.maritime.dot.gov/sites/marad.dot.gov/files/2021-12/EMBARC_Checklist.pdf

The shame of this thread, Maersk Fires 5 in Midshipman-X Case, is that it’s newsworthy. It shouldn’t be news when this shit happens. It should be expected and therefore not news at all.

2 Likes

Chief on this ship is little napoleon sociopath lying scumbag bully. It’s a shame it took this long for him to get fired, because he’s mentally raped, abused, and harassed so many officers in his tenure. Ask around the union and the dude is infamous.

Which leads to the point deck ape is making, this is a long time abuser with a known horrible reputation across the fleet. The only reason he has finally been removed is because a female cadet from precious kings point was the victim. What about the other numerous victims of this psychopathic short man’s rein of terror?

Events that happened aboard are being conflated with events that happened ashore. The alleged rape occurred aboard ship. The anonymous reporting and reaction happened ashore.

The social status of the cadet at sea is not the same as it is ashore.

1 Like

Unfortunately it remains newsworthy as major news outlets continue to grab more info and stories. See attached link. Just posted on CNN

1 Like

From that article:

…nothing happened to him and more students were sent to train on a ship where the man worked.

The US Maritime Administration, which oversees the academy, did not dispute this claim but said the academy does not assign cadets to vessels where personnel are known to have “outstanding allegations of sexual misconduct against them”

What is this, the Catholic Church??

2 Likes

The thing that bothers me about this is the academies have seemingly terrible culture on this type of stuff. Like the US officers are products of the academy system, especially deep sea, and some of the stories about what goes on at those places on shore are pretty fucked up!

I can understand that observation. I had to think back on my own experience as I read that story to appreciate the basic issue preventing reporting.

1. You are on the hook to repay the govt if you don’t finish ( after a certain amount of years)

2. you can’t graduate without completing sea year

3. you can’t finish sea year without your sea year project

4. you can’t finish your project without the help and review of the officers that maybe harassing you

If you look at the pressure to make it through KP, and you look at the need to finish sea year and your project, and you are facing not graduating and paying back hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can see why people might stay silent. Add in the apparent shaming that happens and the impact to other Mids during these stand downs and it takes a heroic person to stand up and tell their story. I have had my eyes opened over the last few years and hate to see these things still happening. That recent cnn story and the resignation of the person brought on to help solve the issue( and her subsequent eeoc complaint) is incredibly damning. I hadn’t heard that before.