Lookng for advice on repowering a water taxi

Captain Guy Christopher Peznola
Boston Waterfront Cruises, LLC
P.O. Box 219
Woods Hole, MA 02543

I am looking for advice on repowering a Eastern 28 Water Taxi. She currently has a Yanmar 160 hp turbo intercooled 4 cylinder engine and I want to replace that with the similar 110 hp turbo 4 cylnder. She has a ZF transmission with a 2.5:1 ratio and a 2" shaft. If anyone can help me, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

John Deere 4045. Great engines. Several hp options.

[QUOTE=cpeznola;104186]Captain Guy Christopher Peznola
Boston Waterfront Cruises, LLC
P.O. Box 219
Woods Hole, MA 02543

I am looking for advice on repowering a Eastern 28 Water Taxi. She currently has a Yanmar 160 hp turbo intercooled 4 cylinder engine and I want to replace that with the similar 110 hp turbo 4 cylnder. She has a ZF transmission with a 2.5:1 ratio and a 2" shaft. If anyone can help me, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks![/QUOTE]

What is the problem with the Yanmar? Why change?

Yanmar is a high rpm engine. They run up to 3500rpm and are not sleeved. John Deere is a low rpm engine. They max out around 2400. They have wet sleeves for easier rebuilds. They are tough as nails!

[QUOTE=captaint76;104279]Yanmar is a high rpm engine. They run up to 3500rpm and are not sleeved. John Deere is a low rpm engine. They max out around 2400. They have wet sleeves for easier rebuilds. They are tough as nails![/QUOTE]

I realize that nd agree Jon Deere makes good engines but I was asking the OP because…there are Yanmars and then there are Yanmars. It may make better sense for him to upgrade to a better Yanmar considering the cost involved with coupling mounting etc. Also, I would be interested to know how many hours he got out of his Yanmar. Sometimes it is better to buy a throw away engine, especially if you don’t know what the future holds.

The 4045 runs a counterbalance shaft which makes them run smooth for a 4 cylinder. The price is high, though. The naturally aspirated 85 horsepower option priced out around $13k last time I looked into one.

Try giving brewers marine down in Plymouth a call, they could help find the right engine for you and do the re-power pretty easily.