Looking for work as Wiper in Engine Room - East Coast

Call MFOW VP William Obrien at the SF Hall (415) 362-7593.

Last summer, I took my 19 year-old step son into the MFOW Hall. Mr. Obrien was extremely helpful and truthful. As of summer 2009, the MFOW has 6 wiper billets. Three of those billets are maintence jobs which pay good money, which means QMEDs with senority often ‘throw in’ for them.

My step-son now has TWIC, MMC w/ BST, and new passport, but does not live near the LA or SF MFOW halls. For now he is looking to work on the Western Rivers as deckhand.

Check out Seattle Maritime Academy. One year program which gets you all QMED ratings with STCW Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch. (RFPEW).

1 Like

Thank You for Mr. Obrien’s number.
I have not yet completed all the documentation work yet, plus, I have to take that BST course somewhere here in Maine. I don’t think he will give me a heads up on how wiper jobs are progressing this year since I am way out of the box at this time? However, it is nice to know that there is demand out there because info like this always gives me positive reinforcement to work harder to get all the necessary requirements that I need to work as a wiper. I wish there was a union hall on the East Coast that had a similar entry level program.

I’ll look into that academy for QMED. Maine Maritime Academy once had a QMED program so did Southern Maine Technical College but no longer.

DryPipe

Just a guess, but the MFOW probably has 20 vessels sailing full time. On only 3 vessels would you stand a chance of shipping due to senority. Your odds decrease when you factor, each wiper rotation lasts 90 or 120 days, meaning these jobs go back on the Shipping Board 3 or 4 days a year, each. If you lived near a MFOW Hall, it would be worth signing up, since your dues are free untill you actually start work.

Your best Option right now is to get your TWIC when you have an extra $132.50 and start looking to work as deckhand on 100 ton vessels. You can work on most 100 ton vessels without an MMC, and the seatime will count. After proving yourself, you can be promoted to Deck-a-neer, deckhand running Engine Room. Many of the Engineers on the Western River have no MMC.

If you are on Unemployment look into a Pell Grant, $5,400 is available for USCG training classes including BST. Training facilities need approval for Federal funding so check with the colleges offering USCG classes. Also search Pell Grant threads on gCaptain. GOOD LUCK

So going with MFOW may take me over a year to get the required 180 days at sea do to limited rotation schedules?
I like the "deck-a-neer"idea also. No MMD on 100 ton vessels? Is this just on the Western waters or does it also apply to 100 ton vessels along the East Coast of Massachusetts and Maine?

I have been searching, but I can not seem to find a mariner union along the East Coast that offers the same wiper program as does the MFOW? Does such a Union or company exist somewhere where they are willing to take in entry-level wipers?

There are always limitations to a good opportunity!

DryPipe.

Sailing 100 ton vessels without MMC applies nationwide. The Western Rivers has several thousand such vessels. You could also work fishing vessels or passenger vessels such as Tour boats, or Diner Cruises boats.
For overnight cruise vessels you will need your MMC. Check out American Cruise Lines, they are based out of New England and have new US Flag coastal cruise ships coming out this year. They also have wiper positions. Search gCaptain for more info.

DP Mate,
Thank You! On their website, I noticed that they do have deckhand. I just emailed them and asked if they also have any entry-level Wiper positions available in their engine rooms? Just to make sure, I also asked if a TWIC and MMD is necessary and if employed, will I acquire “sea time” that is recognized by the Coast Guard.

This just may be the way to go!

DryPipe.

Just a word on American Cruise lines. The deck position is only for a limited time, 3 months or less I think. This means that you are never considered “permanent” also you cannot re-apply for a further 3 months. For that kind of position also look at American Caribbean Cruise Line. They are a cheap company but the crew do get to stay for a season or longer. Both companies run up and down the ICW for the most part with a bit of NC thrown in. But I think ACCL still goes down to Caribbean and Central America for the winter, so that is good sea time. For them you will need MMC and BST as a minimum.

Only a three month tour with American Cruse line? Must be just seasonal? For summer rich tourists up in New England? That is too bad. Just a 90 day shot at glory!. Well that’s better than 0 days sitting on my fat ass doing nothing.

Wounder why they would not consider keeping a good worker for the off season cruses down south? Must have something to do with receiving medical benefits if I was considered “full time”? Even if there was a break in between cruse seasons, why could I not sign on again as a Part Timer without the benefits?
This is what happens when you are faced with non-Union companies.

DryPipe.

[quote=drypipe;26144]Only a three month tour with American Cruse line? Must be just seasonal? For summer rich tourists up in New England? That is too bad. Just a 90 day shot at glory!. Well that’s better than 0 days sitting on my fat ass doing nothing.

Wounder why they would not consider keeping a good worker for the off season cruses down south? Must have something to do with receiving medical benefits if I was considered “full time”? Even if there was a break in between cruse seasons, why could I not sign on again as a Part Timer without the benefits?
This is what happens when you are faced with non-Union companies.

DryPipe.[/quote]
No it’s not so much seasonal as avoiding the expensive benefits. Not just Medical, but unemployment etc. It must save a bunch up front but I have to wonder about wasting good talent and experience.

I did not see any wiper positions on American Cruse Line, so I emailed then to see if they are possibly looking for such a position. I did see deckhand. If someone signs on as just temp I don’t see why you can not rotate from cruse to cruse as a “temp” without the medical and Unemployment insurance since my goal is to get only 180 days to advance to bigger and better things? Working six months, I can do without company benefits in the short term. The sea time is more important.

I also emailed American Caribbean Cruse Line because I could not see any wiper positions except that of deckhand. If they like to keep good people for extended cruses, maybe there is a chance to move into a “deck-eneer” position?

DryPipe.