Looking for advise

looking for some advise
i have been looking for a tug company that could use some one like me. I have mmc with q-med endorsements of pump man junior engineer oiler and fireman watertender. I have been looking at getting stcw but can not justify the cost without a job to go to. Any advise on to where to start. All my seatime is in the navy 15 years ago. I have applied to many companys with no luck.

Search internet for inland marine transportation companies. You don’t need STCW and there seems to be more opportunity for employment at present. Also if you don’t mind living in the Galveston, TX area the ferry system here has been hiring.

[quote=saltcrat;19112][B]looking for some advise [/B]
[B]i have been looking for a tug company that could use some one like me. I have mmc with q-med endorsements of pump man junior engineer oiler and fireman watertender. I have been looking at getting stcw but can not justify the cost without a job to go to. Any advise on to where to start. All my seatime is in the navy 15 years ago. I have applied to many companys with no luck.[/B][/quote]

[B]Most companies will not hire you without the STCW or at the lease Basic Safety Training, check out Young Memorial in Morgan City, LA. Not expensive and CG Certified classes;[/B]
http://www.coastguardtraining.com/marine.htm

Anyone know any tanker companies that are willing to take you on as an observer or something like that? I am 18 days short in obtaining my PIC-DL and would definitely open some doors if I could get that. Have all my loads & discharges, and I’ve got my 3rds unlimited but would be more than willing to get on a ship for no pay just to get that PIC!

American Maritime Officers has programs in place for observers on tankers to obtain DL-PIC. Contact Brendan Keller in dispatching at 1-800-345-3410.