Longest Amount of TIme Onboard Before Relieved?

Hello everyone. I was curious as to what was the longest amount of time you have sailed onboard a MSC vessel before being relieved? I have read in numerous posts the 4 on 1 off is unheard of. Thanks in advance.

We just went through this a couple months ago, I believe the thread was called “Longest Voyage”. No one is going to go through this all over again. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;134413]We just went through this a couple months ago, I believe the thread was called “Longest Voyage”. No one is going to go through this all over again. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply…I saw that one but I am more specifically looking at Military Sealift Command, that’s why I put it under this tab.

You can be relieved in four months now. The overdue relief situation is not an issue anymore. MSC has to many mariners now.

[QUOTE=UnRepKing;134443]You can be relieved in four months now. The overdue relief situation is not an issue anymore. MSC has to many mariners now.[/QUOTE]

The way folks made it sound a few years ago, there were too many mariners even back then but they simply (inexplicably) failed to rotate people seeking relief home and sending people from the APMC to the fleet. Even during my interview, the interviewer somehow seemed SHOCKED that they (MSC) had problems retaining people.

If MSC has to many mariners now, send some over to NOAA, we can hardly staff the ships. People are fleeing for the gulf-for a schedule and higher pay.

Got that right…

From my understanding, they’re very cyclical because of the generally high turnover, especially for officers. They recruit in bursts every few years to make up ground, but during the interim it can become pretty bad. Is that still the case, as in this is just short-term, or have they fixed the problems of retaining people longer or recruiting more often?

[QUOTE=Yo_Soy_Marinero;134410]Hello everyone. I was curious as to what was the longest amount of time you have sailed onboard a MSC vessel before being relieved? I have read in numerous posts the 4 on 1 off is unheard of. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I sailed as AB with MSC 2008-2013 aboard 9 separate vessels. My relief was never late. I had a good business relationship with my detailer, had her email address and always had my training and medical up to date. I never got into serious trouble with the front office, no disciplinary actions ashore, Some ships I stayed 4 months, some longer.

The Chief Mates I sailed with knew I was a hard worker. I don’t know if this was a factor in on-time relief.

I was relieved that only a couple of times as an RET (2006-2011), and It was not for long. You do know the about the late relief pay right? 25 bucks a day, which turns to 50 bucks after 45 days overdue. If you can manage to homestead, then that’s not an issue. The Pecos engineers pretty much all homesteaded when I was on it. They were a good group and worked together well. If your happy with the schedule, get OT and work with cool people, why leave?