List of Professional Mariners Favorite Podcasts

OK OK this wasn’t my idea, but it seems smart.

I’ll start:
name: NPR Car Talk
pros: funny, mildly informative, easy to interrupt if on watch, once a week is a good way to time length of hitch.
cons: you can’t really listen to them more then once.

Podcasts are great. For those not aware, all Podcasts on iTunes are [I]free[/I]. What a deal…

In no particular order, here’s some of the ones I’ve been listening to:

[B]The Moth[/B] - Really engaging real life stories told on stage in front of a live audience; great - 10-20 minutes in length
[B]Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History[/B] - Theater of the Mind-type history lessons, really, really good stuff. This guy will draw you in. The 3 part series on the Punic Wars was amazing. 60-90 minutes each.
[B]Tank Riot [/B]- 3 guys from Wisconsin who like to pick a subject and talk about it, could be anything from recumbant bikes to beer to what an asshole Thomas Edison was. They miss the mark sometimes, but grow on you. The episode on the life of Mister Rogers brought tears to my eyes. But I’ll never admit it in person…
[B]This American Life[/B] - The well known NPR show about an hour
[B]Stuff You Should Know[/B] - The whole ‘Stuff’ series is pretty good; 20 minutes
[B]Point of Inquiry[/B] - I don’t subject the guys to this one. Interviews with scientists, educators, authors, etc.

Podcasts are great. For those not aware, all Podcasts on iTunes are [I]free[/I]. What a deal…

In no particular order, here’s some of the ones I’ve been listening to:

[B]The Moth[/B] - Really engaging real life stories told on stage in front of a live audience; great - 10-20 minutes in length
[B]Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History[/B] - Theater of the Mind-type history lessons, really, really good stuff. This guy will draw you in. The 3 part series on the Punic Wars was amazing. 60-90 minutes each.
[B]Tank Riot [/B]- 3 guys from Wisconsin who like to pick a subject and talk about it, could be anything from recumbant bikes to beer to what an asshole Thomas Edison was. They miss the mark sometimes, but grow on you. The episode on the life of Mister Rogers brought tears to my eyes. But I’ll never admit it in person…
[B]This American Life[/B] - The well known NPR show about an hour
[B]Stuff You Should Know[/B] - The whole ‘Stuff’ series is pretty good; 20 minutes
[B]Point of Inquiry[/B] - I don’t subject the guys to this one. Interviews with scientists, educators, authors, etc.

Podcast Alley is a good resource for finding interesting stuff

I subscribe to everything in Trekleader’s list plus:

Wait! Wait! Don’t tell me. - NPR’s humorous current event quiz show.
60 Minutes- a bunch of old episodes on iTunes
The Onion-parody news and talk shows

There is another podcast that has old radio shows. I can’t remember the name of it. I just finished about 20 episodes of “The Shadow”.
“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?”

Phil Defranco and CurrentTVs comedy stuff … freakin hilarious.