License Upgrade Question for JD Cavo

Port engineer, shipyard superintendent experience, instructor service, or similar related service may be creditable for a maximum of six months of service for raise of grade of an engineer or deck license, as appropriate, using the following: Service as a bona fide instructor at a school of navigation or marine engineering is creditable on a two-for-one basis for a raise of grade. (Twelve months of experience equals six months of creditable service). 46 CFR 10.211(b)

              The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for  license as  second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any  gross tons is: (a) One year of service as officer in charge of a  navigational  watch on ocean steam or motor vessels while holding a license as third  mate.  46 CFR 10.406.  

       To qualify for an ocean or near coastal license for vessels  of  any gross tons, all the required experience must be obtained on vessels  of over 200 gross tons. At least one-half of the required experience  must be obtained on vessels of over 1600 gross tons.  46 CFR 10.402.

       [I]What is the interplay between these different methods of  obtaining sea service?  If I take a job as a instructor of navigation  and get six months of sea service by working in that capacity for one  year, would the remaining six months of the sea need to be on vessels over  1600 gross tons or would six months on a vessel of over 200 gross tons  be sufficient to upgrade from 3/M to 2/M AGT Oceans?  In other words, would the [/I][I]six months of sea service gained by working as  an instructor count as "unlimited sea service" thereby opening up my  options as far as tonnage for the remaining sea time?[/I]

Other experience in a marine related area, other than at sea, or sea service performed on unique vessels, will be evaluated by the OCMI and forwarded to the Commandant for a determination of equivalence to traditional service. 46 CFR 10.211(b)

[I]Any examples of experience in a marine related area other than at sea that has been successfully used in the past to obtain sea service?[/I]

[I]Thanks for the help.[/I]

They are separate criteria, each must be met. The instructor time cannot be used to meet requirements for specific tonnage. However, you can still qualify for the license, but you may get a tonnage restrction per 46 CFR 11.402(b). (Yes, we can give an unlimited tonnage license with a tonnage restriction).

So my curiosity is piqued. I teach at a licensing school, and the subjects are more than “Navigation” obviously. Is this the type of instruction that can be credited? And can this time be credited to a limited tonnage license? My next step will be 500/1600 so could I conceivably use my time teaching all levels up to 200 ton for upgrade ? I have wondered before about this.

Thanks for the reply Mr Cavo. As a follow up, I was recently offered a position as an adjunct professor in the naval science department of a well known and accredited four year military college. I would be teaching two sections of 15 cadets each in the fall. Topics would include the use of nautical charts and publications, aids to navigation, the theory of operation of magnetic and gyro compass, tides and currents, electronic navigation, chart plotting, piloting techniques, and voyage planning. [I]Is it possible for me to get a determination from the USGC on whether this would qualify as “service as a bona fide instructor at a school of navigation” and therefore be creditable on a two-for-one basis for a raise of grade?" [/I]My concern would be accepting the position, working for 12 months with the expectation of receiving 6 months sea service, and then being turned down by the USCG when I try to use that time to upgrade (along with 6 months sea service on vessels over 1600GT). Thanks for your help.

Bumping this old topic (vice starting anew), my question is:

If I use my port engineer experience for some credit toward a raise in grade, is there a specific horsepower/tonnage for that time? All of the ships I managed were 25,000 HP+, two steam and two gas turbine…

Can’t answer specific question regarding port engineer time, but I taught for a year (credited as six months sea service) and then obtained six months sea service on vessels over 1600GT and was successful in obtaining a raise in grade to second mate any gross tons oceans after an appeal and with the assistance of a license consultant. If the requirements for sea service equivalents for port engineer parallel the requirements for instructor at a school of navigation, then the there is no tonnage requirement associated with that time.