Legal Consequences of Greenpeace' boarding of Shell Rig

[QUOTE=awulfclark;158871]Well, whichever incident it was, unauthorized boarding, whatever the intentions are, of a vessel is still a security breach. On the high seas it could be defined as piracy. Seems to me they need their little pee-pees slapped a bit harder. Let the Russians handle it if possible, they don’t really care about legal niceties or the rights of the accused.[/QUOTE]

No Russians involved in this one.

Sort of makes you wonder what the reaction would be if a bunch of protester/activists boarded a Greenpeace vessel with banners that read “Drill Baby Drill”?

Sadly, Shell has a hands-off policy so once the activists got on, they are there for the long haul and crew know they will probably be fired if they touch the activists.
Greenpeace was following them from when they departed the Far East waiting for this opportunity, and looking at Greenpeace’s website, looks like the weather gave them a great opportunity. And with hand’s off, it is a challenge to stop them.
My guess the heavy lift ship spends a little extra time off Port Angeles to offload these folks, as an earlier poster said, don’t want to bring them in to Seattle.
Good luck to you guys on the Polar Pioneer. And don’t forget, whatever turd bags etc fall from up top count as DROPS, so mind yourselves on those rounds.

[QUOTE=The Commodore;158888]Sadly, Shell has a hands-off policy so once the activists got on, they are there for the long haul and crew know they will probably be fired if they touch the activists.
Greenpeace was following them from when they departed the Far East waiting for this opportunity, and looking at Greenpeace’s website, looks like the weather gave them a great opportunity. And with hand’s off, it is a challenge to stop them.
My guess the heavy lift ship spends a little extra time off Port Angeles to offload these folks, as an earlier poster said, don’t want to bring them in to Seattle.
Good luck to you guys on the Polar Pioneer. And don’t forget, whatever turd bags etc fall from up top count as DROPS, so mind yourselves on those rounds.[/QUOTE]

Shell is in a no win situation. With everyone recording their antics on a cell phone, the folks at Greenpeace (or any other activist organization for that matter) is just waiting & hoping for Shell to do something that would not look good the evening news. Shell’s position is once aboard, don’t do anything stupid and let the authorities take them off as soon as possible. It is a PR nightmare.

Surely Shell will have some policies & PR people in place but given the current situation, being a chartered but not operational rig on the move, Transocean may well have a say in how to handle the incident.

And they probably will offload the rig anyway before going into Seattle so they can kill two birds with one stone at that moment.

If the rig was Malaysian flagged they would get the death penalty as happened to some Somalians who pirated a Malaysian tanker

People are have already been protesting in front of the shell stations here in West Seattle. I also read that there is a planned kayak/vessel floatilla protest for seattle when the rig arrive in Elliot Bay. Should make for a real mess for those of us trying to do our work in the harbor, guess we will see what the Aqua fuzz does…

Shell should have sent the rigs directly to remote Dutch Harbor (after renting all the hotel rooms in town and buying all the empty seats on the planes). They could have arranged to clear customs and do their inspections in Dutch Harbor. The rigs should have been fully equipped and ready to go to work before they left Asia. They have had over two years to get ready.

Going to Seattle was a really dumb idea on many levels.

Gcaptain update:

http://gcaptain.com/shell-seeks-remove-greenpeace-activists-drilling-rig/

[QUOTE=powerabout;158907]If the rig was Malaysian flagged they would get the death penalty as happened to some Somalians who pirated a Malaysian tanker[/QUOTE]

You’d have to get past that little problem of extradition first.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=rshrew;158910]People are have already been protesting in front of the shell stations here in West Seattle. I also read that there is a planned kayak/vessel floatilla protest for seattle when the rig arrive in Elliot Bay. Should make for a real mess for those of us trying to do our work in the harbor, guess we will see what the Aqua fuzz does…[/QUOTE]

The first time I saw Yoga on stand-up paddle boards was in the Seattle area…on the way to the locks in Ballard. Lots of people with all kinds of wee craft out that way, they can certainly make a pest of themselves. Several kayakers crossed our path almost right under our bow as we transited.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;158886]Sort of makes you wonder what the reaction would be if a bunch of protester/activists boarded a Greenpeace vessel with banners that read “Drill Baby Drill”?[/QUOTE]

I was actually giving this some consideration the other night. Anyone want to go for a skiff ride with me?

Ive also been wondering, where are they going to the bathroom? If theyre still on the anchor, there isn’t much room to be taking a crap up there. I mean they look pretty crowded. I wouldn’t want some vegan hippy crapping that close to me. When I eat salad for a few days I don’t even want me crapping near me.

Shell Seeks Order to Remove Protesters From Arctic Drill Rig - http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shell-seeks-injunction-remove-protesters-drill-rig-30147953

Whether such a federal court has jurisdiction over a high seas incident … I doubt it.

[QUOTE=snacktray;158940]Ive also been wondering, where are they going to the bathroom? If theyre still on the anchor, there isn’t much room to be taking a crap up there. I mean they look pretty crowded. I wouldn’t want some vegan hippy crapping that close to me. When I eat salad for a few days I don’t even want me crapping near me.[/QUOTE]

They’re gonna crap into ziploc bags and those will end up falling to the deck of the heavy lift ship, whose crew will have to deal with it. Crew will have to deal with whatever falls and for their sake hope they are not under it when anything does come down. We can pick on the crew of the Blue Marlin all day long, but they are probably not used to dealing with extremists trying to board their vessel, regardless of any Security training, especially with restrictions put on them by the charterer.

[QUOTE=catherder;158937]You’d have to get past that little problem of extradition first.

• Updated - - -
        Its the high seas, either its the flag state of the guys that catch you or the vessel you are on, thats what dumass’s forget.
        Break the law on a foreign aircraft over the USA its not US law that sorts that out unless they land and decide to give you up
        In the case I mentioned it was just a coincidence that the Malaysian Navy was on patrol off Somalia and rescued the ship

Dammit, Xena (Lucy Lawless) is one of the protesters on board.

Another fantasy shot all to hell.

[QUOTE=powerabout;159035][QUOTE=catherder;158937]You’d have to get past that little problem of extradition first.

• Updated - - -
        Its the high seas, either its the flag state of the guys that catch you or the vessel you are on, thats what dumass’s forget.
        Break the law on a foreign aircraft over the USA its not US law that sorts that out unless they land and decide to give you up
        In the case I mentioned it was just a coincidence that the Malaysian Navy was on patrol off Somalia and rescued the ship[/QUOTE]

What’s the flag state of the rig? Seems a lot of them are Marshall Is.

anyone know the current location of the rig? Im south of Kodiak island and the weather is shit! im hoping its just as bad wherever they are!

[QUOTE=The Commodore;158957]They’re gonna crap into ziploc bags and those will end up falling to the deck of the heavy lift ship, whose crew will have to deal with it. Crew will have to deal with whatever falls and for their sake hope they are not under it when anything does come down. We can pick on the crew of the Blue Marlin all day long, but they are probably not used to dealing with extremists trying to board their vessel, regardless of any Security training, especially with restrictions put on them by the charterer.[/QUOTE]

No, they wouldn’t use ziplock bags because those are made of plastic and plastic bags hurt mother earth. They have a type of bag made of natural hemp fibers which decomposes very nicely in seawater, while feeding marine creatures with the inner contents of said bag.

Well, it might cause a bit of a debate if you ask the question: which one exactly did they board? The HLV Blue Marlin that’s carrying the rig as a load or the Polar Pioneer (not in operation)? Or both?

If it’s the heavy lift, then this one has its flag with the Netherlands Antilles. So it would mean the Dutch authorities would need to take action. Good luck!!