Large Containerships Collide in Suez Canal - Video

Have you guys seen this? Crazy.

//youtu.be/2ktwo-k-onk

http://gcaptain.com/containerships-collide-suez-canal/

painful is more like it!

listening to a whole boatload of Gyppos babbling like that is not something I want to experience again. I thought I was done with the effing Suez Canal and their ridiculous nonsense!

now regarding the quality of the watch officers on the respective ships remains a good question to ask? any 100000grt large OSV masters at the helm?

I have the answer, give ThePharoah an American UL master’s license…afterall if we’re giving them now to every GoM boob, he might as well get one too? HELL, give one to the cook while we’re at it!

Our cook is an unlimited master, his AB/Cook and Mate/Cook time counted towards his license. Getting the Chief Mate Cook sea time letter was tricky. He just doesn’t have DPO yet. Maybe I can install a DP console next to the deep fryer and we can get his NI book stamped and signed.

Are we sure Paul Watson wasn’t driving? Is this where he ended up? I’m sure he was able to write himself a chief mate seatime letter and has UL masters license…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;145204]Getting the Chief Mate Cook sea time letter was tricky.[/QUOTE]

and why on earth was that…doesn’t HOS has a captain/head chef assessor who can sign off his large OSV chief mate/cook training record proving his proficiency at emptying the deepfat fryer, steering on a range from in front of the range, organizing the walk-ins, keeping the bridge reefer stocked with Cokes and changing laser toner cartridges?

It was shown as Chief Mate Steward sea time and the CG accepted it.

Looks like the Colombo Express may have miss-timed her departure from Port Said container port.

The Suez Canal does not do two ships abreast. The Express is leaving the container terminal and merges into the By-pass just as Tanjong was passing. The Tanjong then lost control trying to avoid the Express. First the Tanjong swerves right to avoid the Express then left away from the bank into the Express.

Somebody did not cough up enough Marlboros

[QUOTE=brjones;145209]Somebody did not cough up enough Marlboros[/QUOTE]

Insert “rimshot” here…

I agree that this overtaking piece of cake manoeuvre was nothing to compare with a spill of 168,000 gallons of heavy fuel oil, achieved by a 1600 tons Mickey Mouse US Ticket driving a fuel barge against the bow of an outbound cargo vessel proceeding in a narrow channel.

[QUOTE=Topsail;145220]I agree that this overtaking piece of cake manoeuvre was nothing to compare with a spill of 168,000 gallons of heavy fuel oil, achieved by a 1600 tons Mickey Mouse US Ticket driving a fuel barge against the bow of an outbound cargo vessel proceeding in a narrow channel.[/QUOTE]

only a pilot would offer such a reply…

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;145204]Are we sure Paul Watson wasn’t driving? Is this where he ended up? I’m sure he was able to write himself a chief mate seatime letter and has UL masters license…[/QUOTE]

I pray someday he ends up as OS on some god forsaken filthy horror of a ship with ThePharoah as his master and is endlessly sodomized by the entire crew of Somali pirates…

dreams, dreams, dreams…

[QUOTE=Topsail;145220]achieved by a 1600 tons Mickey Mouse US Ticket[/QUOTE]

“1600 tons Mickey Mouse US ticket”?

I’ll stack up my Mickey Mouse ticket and ship handling ability against yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
What an asshole.

Every fuckin’ thread!!!

[QUOTE=capnfab;145235]“1600 tons Mickey Mouse US ticket”?

I’ll stack up my Mickey Mouse ticket and ship handling ability against yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
What an asshole.[/QUOTE]

Where do you want to hold that manoeuvring competition Mickey Tuggie … in your washing stock tank?

[QUOTE=Number360;145241]Every fuckin’ thread!!![/QUOTE]

yup…pretty much and I just love how it chafes your thighs!!!

Once again it all reinforces the idea that all USMM need each other. The more we have to operate around other Mariners from different countries that have different agendas the more we need to appreciate each other and his/her various skills and where they are on the path. I understand emotion plays into our decision making but that’s where the USMM needs to continue working with his fellow shipmates on said vessel or with the others (pilots working with tug boaters, OSV’ s working with ships, ect…) by doing this the bond that will transform the public opinion of the USMM will become something grand again. The more we bicker with each other the easier for companies to drive that spike of division which will ultimately lead to the demise of the USMM. Shape up people. Knock off the negativity and let’s fix this stuff. These forums should be used to help us find ways to fix existing problems such as rough weather navigation for inexperienced Mariners, licensing woes, review of disasters and incidents, installation of at sea McDonald’s franchises, important stuff not a place to publicly demean each other.

[QUOTE=Topsail;145243]Where do you want to hold that manoeuvring competition Mickey Tuggie … in your washing stock tank?

[/QUOTE]
I stand by my comments but will leave you with this:
The more you stir a turd (you), the worse it stinks.
That is all.

[QUOTE=capnfab;145270]I stand by my comments but will leave you with this:
The more you stir a turd (you), the worse it stinks.
That is all.[/QUOTE]

It just shows how pilots are all just like we think they are…

they’re ALL PERFECT in EVERY WAY!

It should be called the Pilot’s club. The things a man or woman will sacrifice to get into that club has always astounded me. Their are truly some fine individuals out there doing a great job then the rest fall right into the good ole boy system. No benefit to the USMM at all.

There is no two-way traffic in the Suez Canal. There are two southbound and one northbound convoys a day. Southbound ships enter the canal directly from the anchorages, via the By-Pass and from Port Said container terminal.

Each ship in the convoy is assigned a place in the convoy (#1, #2, #3…etc) Port control coordinates the ship’s movements and helps herd them into order.

Ship’s which enter the canal via the By-pass must “merge” with the other ships alreadly transiting the canal. Also ships leaving Port Said Container Terminal must merge with ships in the By-Pass. In this area all ships have pilots aboard and are being assisted by Port Control as required. At this point the ships are more or less about a mile apart. A “merge” is accomplished by adjusting the ship’s speed to enter the canal between ships much like cars using on-ramps to merge onto a highway

In this case the Maersk Tanjong was leaving the container terminal and the Columbo Express was allready in the By-Pass. Likely the plan was for the Tanjong to join either ahead of or behind the Express. Looks like either one or both ships did not adjust speed properly to manage a safe merge.

Suez Canal Rules of Navigation

Art. 73 – Vessel Overtaking Another :

Vessels proceeding in the same direction are not allowed to overtake one another while underway in the Canal and ports unless authorized by the Suez Canal Control Office.
An additional due of ( 43000 U.S. Dollar ) will be imposed for violation of this rule.