Landlocked in mormon country

away from the fresh north atlantic breezes, shipping traffic, and general feeling of maritime commerce so prevalent in the north east. now in far west mountain country; every local person asks such basic questions about my profession with staring eyes, as if I’m a little green man from mars. I’m an oddity: a man who makes his living from the far away and mysterious ocean.

can’t wait to hit Snowbird tomorrow for first tracks with my fat K2s.

I grew up not too far from there in the Land of Enchantment. Doesn’t really matter though, while there is a greater understanding of people that live in states that touch the ocean, I still run across many that are completely clueless and have no idea. Giving the same starry look as you describe.

Make sure you try the Polygamy Porter…

http://www.wasatchbeers.com/polygporter.html

You can’t have just one :wink:

Eat drink and be merry for tomarrow youll be in Utah.
I was talking to a homebrewer in Oregon who was starting up a tasty new batch. She said they left Utah because it was illeagal to homebrew and ya couldnt even buy hops there… In UT’s defense she said that law changed two years ago.

[quote=bob;27145]Eat drink and be merry for tomarrow youll be in Utah.
I was talking to a homebrewer in Oregon who was starting up a tasty new batch. She said they left Utah because it was illeagal to homebrew and ya couldnt even buy hops there… In UT’s defense she said that law changed two years ago.[/quote]

The US is really more like a bunch of seperate countries held together by a strong fed. govt. With so many different cultures, backgrounds, dialects (of English), customs and social norms depending on where one is. And that was how many felt untill the US Civil War settled the question of state or country first…

If somebody doesn’t agree with the alcohol laws of Utah they are free to go somewhere else. Same goes if you don’t agree with certain lifestyles that are very open in certain places, then hanging out in San Francisco or Los Angeles might not be one’s cup of tea either.

It’s one thing I really like about the US. Being able to find a part of the country where one feel’s at home and with others that share common beliefs and values. For some that might be Provo, UT and for others, West Hollywood, CA. :slight_smile:

“can’t wait to hit Snowbird tomorrow for first tracks with my fat K2s.”

What kind of K2 powder boards are you on?

UTAH UPDATE: after 2 full days of skiing at Snowbird I realize that being back here in mormon country is great: conditions, restaurants, the “vibe”. a lot of the hippie scene from Teluride is missing. tomorrow we’re up & out early to Alta for a couple days there. Driving into Cottonwood Canyon every morning: 20 minutes door to slope.
I could live here.
my K2 powder skis are demos: HellBent. fun.

Years ago, here in Denver, I saw a guys license plate, USMMA ‘year’. It was cool knowing I wasn’t the only anchor hanger around here. I would tell people in Seattle what I did, and they would get a funny look on their face and go, " So, your a fisherman?". Yeah, not on your life! LOL

if I end up in heaven (still a possibility), I hope it is day after day of skiing at Alta, Utah. incredible.
my sore muscles are looking forward to my next hitch starting March 1st on board Helix’s Caesar.

My favorite question from non maritime folks was always “Where are you stationed?”

My favorite “What do you do when the captain goes to sleep?” I would just try do give as clueless a look as posible

[quote=richard8000milesaway;27361]if I end up in heaven (still a possibility), I hope it is day after day of skiing at Alta, Utah. incredible.
my sore muscles are looking forward to my next hitch starting March 1st on board Helix’s Caesar.[/quote]
The Caesar? I hear she lost power over 40 times crossing over the Pacific.
True? Rumor has it the Producer also has serious issues. Hope it ain’t so but I’d be surprised if it’s not.
Tengineer

rumors are rarely too far off the mark…

Didn’t think they were. The FPSO they want to bring out also has potential station keeping issues from what I hear. It’s shame. A ship shape FPSO in the GOM could be a good thing for mariners but doing it on the cheap could screw the concept up forever. I figure there’s a reason major companies aren’t beating down Helix’s door to hire them.