Kirby Buying Bouchard?

I heard for the first time 5-6 weeks ago, that Kirby was looking at Bouchard to purchase them in 2013. Now today, I heard it again from another man at crew change. Anyone else hear anything?

My concern is that Kirby has 77% of the Inland business (not counting their charters) and with their purchases of coastal companies, they now have 33% of that market.

That would be to costly at this stage in the game. I find it very unlikely.

Unlikely. I recall hearing their financing ability was about maxed out at the Penn purchase. Eliminating Bouchard would only leave Reinauer, Hornbeck and Moran for east coast product. I’d guess they would start the anti-trust complaints pretty soon. Also I would consider Bouchard too big to buy at this point; maybe before K-sea happened it was possible. There were big rumours Reinauer was being bought, hornbeck was being bought, and so on. Maybe there was truth when they were shopping around but i doubt it now. Companies with aggressive newbuild or rebuilt equipment such as Reinauer and Bouchard would be a tough sell. Its tough to lowball solid up to date equipment. A lot of the k-sea stuff was aging (as noted in several Kirby press releases) and that probably helped the cause.

I doubt Morty would sell for anything less than a few times more than fair market value too.

I’ll start a rumour next week at crewchange that Kirby is looking to buy exxon-mobil. Why not?

The capability of the rumor mill, especially on this website is unlimited. About 5-6 years ago we had a company wide rumor that the case’s of “foss” paint where on thier way down to the boats, and it created panic. Kirby bought Penn for 2 reasons, the equipment was alot newer and nicer, and because of the connections and contracts Penn had moving black oil. Vane has killed Kirby-sea in nyc for bunker work, shut them right out, which was k-seas bread and butter in nyc. I would place my 2cent bet on vane being bought before bouchard.

Morty would never just sell because of his ego

There used to be a rumor Foss was buying Mac

I heard OSG is buying Kirby in an all cash de

[QUOTE=kfj;96609]I heard OSG is buying Kirby in an all cash de[/QUOTE]

HA, now there’s a good one. Be careful, someone might actually believe that…

HAHAHAHAHAHA they can barely pay us! Ill have to float that one around the fleet…

Do it. It came from a real good source :slight_smile:

You know if you haven’t heard a rumor by 7am its time to start one. Thats galley talk basics.

I saw Bob Magas on a Reinauer tugboat today at their yard. He’s a Port Engineer for Kirby/K-Sea. Rumor has it that he was checking out the barge Connecticut that belongs to Moran as well. Should be interesting in the next 6 months.

I remember the wile rumors when reinauer bought the Bridget McAllister. I sure had fun when a Moran boat was sitting in Boston waiting to go up on the ways…

[QUOTE=JohnSmithUSMM;96571]I heard for the first time 5-6 weeks ago, that Kirby was looking at Bouchard to purchase them in 2013. Now today, I heard it again from another man at crew change. Anyone else hear anything?

My concern is that Kirby has 77% of the Inland business (not counting their charters) and with their purchases of coastal companies, they now have 33% of that market.[/QUOTE]

They puchased Allied transportation, I did launch for Allied so they sent out a letter to us.

Didn’t know what I was starting when I asked but I sure did enjoy the comments.

Skuttle is skuttle. Thanks.

What would we do with ourselves on long, boring watches were it not for the magnificently orchestrated rumor-mill that is our own beautifully unique industry?

Youve gotta enjoy it, because sometimes you hit the nail on the head with a bullshit rumor. Seen it happen here 2x, right when the stuff was being tied up and sent to africa.

Haha I remember that! We didnt know if we should be scared shitless or rejoice about the possibility of a pay raise.

I remember that too. The Bridget, god bless her, was the finest tow boat in the fleet with the best captain in the company. Guys begged to get put on there and I had just gotten in sync with that captains crew when the Reinauer guys showed up.