Jobs in Hawaii?

Atlantis had a HARD awakening when LOTS of their crew decided that it just wasn’t worth it. They simply WON’T pay their people enough to live in Hawaii. Lots of good, dedicated, hard working mariners bailed or didn’t come back and I was one of them. The tourist trade was never my objective and working for an outfit that didn’t see the value and commitment I brought to the deck definitely wasn’t part of the plan either. It’s a shame because they do some amazing things. It was a great experience and I got some towing experience, training and a great work environment.

Tanx for all of your responses and suggestions. It shows that Mariners give a damn.

Do you have a sail endorsement? There’s a maritime job training program that would love a full time captain

I have been there several times. All for work. University of Hawaii operates a research vessel, Kilo Moana, that just returned from an ROV cruise. You could get your feet wet so to speak picking up a relief gig with them. But like these other guys have said, it is super expensive to live there. I helped friends move several years back. They moved to a three bedroom one bath duplex which I believe was 2500 a month. May have gone up I’ll have to ask. Rentals are hard to find now with all the mess Covid brought.

What program?

A small non-profit called Marimed. But you could live on the ship and not have to worry about rent.

Better to google “Marimed Foundation”. If someone googles “Marimed” the first hits are to cannabis sites.

Looks like Semisub is looking for a 500t master with BCO active. The pay is not awful. I’d guess they’re paying for BCO more than the 500t.

Off the top of my head, NOAA is still looking for a couple ABs for their boat in Honolulu. I’ve worked temp trips with that ship a couple times and it’s great, and definitely a good way to experience HI without the rent.