Job Hunting in Singapore

What is the current job market like in Singapore? What are the typical entry points where an American might find a job?

Related: Ifwe work in Singapore,do we pay taxes?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;173419]What is the current job market like in Singapore? What are the typical entry points where an American might find a job?[/QUOTE]

That depends very much on the qualifications, skills and experience you can offer. There are something like 20K US citizens (incl. family and children) living and working here in all kinds of industries and positions. Some are working for US companies on Expat terms, but more and more are on local terms. (I.e. no free house, car, maid etc. and no free trips home every year)

In the Marine Industry there are still opportunities, but (here, like everywhere else) things are slowing down, especially Oil & Gas related jobs.

Singapore is a meritocracy so don’t expect any special treatment based on nationality or race. It is what do you know, not who do you know.

For shore based jobs you will require an Employment Pass, which give you the right to work only for the company that has applied for you. You may change job without leaving the country, but your new employer will have to apply for a new Employment Pass.

To work more freely you have to be Permanent Resident (PR), which can be obtained when you have been here for some time.
Again, you have to have an education and/or skills that is needed in Singapore to become PR. (Unless you can invest a few million $)

No matter what Immigration status you have, everybody working in Singapore have to pay income tax, which is not high compared to most countries. (As a US citizen you are also liable for US tax, but your local tax can be offset)

To work on ships, OSVs, or rigs under construction/conversion etc. come under different rules. If you can be signed on you will be treated as a Seaman and not liable to any of the above.

If you are hired on Contract basis to be part of the Supervisory team during building/conversion you do have to have Employment Pass, however. There are a lot of rigs still being built and tankers being converted to FPSOs etc. at local yards.

There are a lot of Owner and Management companies operating here, both within Shipping, Offshore Vessels, Offshore Construction and Drilling, which hire technical and managerial staff of all nationalities, as long as they offer the right skills, experience and work ethics.

To get work on ships, boats, rigs etc. managed from here is possible without having to live here. I don’t know what US companies like Tidewater etc. pay, but I don’t think they offer “American conditions” just because you are American citizen on their foreign flag vessels managed from here. (IAW; Don’t expect film star wages)

FYI: I just did an inspection on a locally owned and operated DPS-2 Work/Accommodation Vessel where the Master was Canadian, the Chief Engineer Polish, the Deck Officers Filipinos, the Engineers Russians and Ukrainian and the ETO Burmese. They were all paid competitive wages, were permanent hired and worked 2 mths on/2 mths. off with free travel to/from their country of origin.
They all held national STCW’10 CoCs and MPA Singapore endorsements.

As I don’t know what specifically you are interested in I’m afraid I cannot be more helpful, but I hope this help to explain the basics.

So roughly how much does a new 3rd Mate make per month and are you saying that if you work as a seaman you don’t have to pay tax or acquire residency? Also what is the process to apply for license reciprocity or does one need to?

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;173423]So roughly how much does a new 3rd Mate make per month and are you saying that if you work as a seaman you don’t have to pay tax or acquire residency? Also what is the process to apply for license reciprocity or does one need to?[/QUOTE]

Wages varies for type of ships and from company to company. As a seaman on a Singapore flag ship you pay taxes only if you are in Singapore more than 180 days in a calendar year.

CoE is applied for and paid for on your behalf once you have obtained a job. You cannot get one on your own, as far as I know.
PS> Many ships managed from Singapore fly other flags than Singapore. Tidewater usually use Vanuatu, others Marshall Island or whatever. I don’t know if any US flag vessels are managed from here.

Sorry, it’s getting late. Good night.

[QUOTE=ombugge;173422]No matter what Immigration status you have, everybody working in Singapore have to pay income tax, which is not high compared to most countries. (As a US citizen you are also liable for US tax, but your local tax can be offset.)[/QUOTE]

If you are out of the country for a certain amount of the year you don’t owe federal income tax. I think that total is something like 300 or 330 days per year. (Note: serving on a US flag vessel in international waters counts as being in the US.) Also, if you pay income tax to another country you don’t pay federal income tax. (It’s either a complete exemption or you get credited for the amount you paid and pay the difference if the US tax is higher.)

[QUOTE=lm1883;173427]A master with Maersk Singapore is making $8900/month out the door.[/QUOTE]

Is that salary or only while onboard?

Are there opportunities on tugs or other small vessels for Masters with US CoC, STCW II/2, not more than 3000 tons?

How much of a factor is age? (I’m about your age).

What is the Singapore point of view on the qualifications of American officers?

I have known guys in the past, mostly Canadians, who made good money on oil field tugs in Singapore. Any idea about current tug and smaller vessel salaries?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;173426]If you are out of the country for a certain amount of the year you don’t owe federal income tax. I think that total is something like 300 or 330 days per year. (Note: serving on a US flag vessel in international waters counts as being in the US.) Also, if you pay income tax to another country you don’t pay federal income tax. (It’s either a complete exemption or you get credited for the amount you paid and pay the difference if the US tax is higher.)[/QUOTE]

What you saying may be right if you maintain US residency but Americans taking up foreign residency apparently find it difficult to comply with US taxation laws: http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2015/05/08/new-un-american-record-renouncing-u-s-citizenship/

FYI: Other countries don’t tax their citizens living abroad for income earned outside the home country, nor do you have to file a Tax Return, unless you have income there.

[QUOTE=lm1883;173427]A master with Maersk Singapore is making $8900/month out the door.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what type of ships in the Maersk fleet that applies to, but I don’t think it is the case for the Maersk Supply Fleet.
The norm is permanent employment with salary, even time and returning to the same vessel every time.

[QUOTE=ombugge;173449]What you saying may be right if you maintain US residency but Americans taking up foreign residency apparently find it difficult to comply with US taxation laws:[/QUOTE]

The article doesn’t mention residency issues so I’ll guess that these are rich people that travel back to the US frequently. If you live outside the US for enough of the year you don’t pay any taxes, though you still need to file.

Acceptance of STCW CoCs are dependent on reciprocal agreement, or in the case of US, unilateral acceptance maybe.
Here is a link to MPA’s website, incl. a list of countries who’s CoCs are recognized: http://www.srs.sg/mlc-manning/certification-of-seafarers
This applies for Singapore flag ships only. For ships under other flags owned and/or operated from Singapore the relevant Flag state requirements applies.

Otherwise the limitations in STCW Convention and requirement for other certificates, such as approved Sea Survival (BOSIT), BRM, DMDSS, DPO etc. applies as the case may be.

How much of a factor is age? (I’m about your age)

I don’t think age is a factor for MPA as long as you have valid Medical Certificate from a Maritime Medical Institution approved by MPA.
For the Employers it is another matter, but I would think your experience, abilities and references would count more as long as you meet Flag state requirement as above.

What is the Singapore point of view on the qualifications of American officers?

Singapore doesn’t care about nationality or race, as long as you meet the other criteria and don’t expect special privileges because of your nationality. (Don’t expect any)

I have known guys in the past, mostly Canadians, who made good money on oil field tugs in Singapore. Any idea about current tug and smaller vessel salaries?

As I’m freelancing these days I don’t pay attention to what salaried or seagoing jobs is paying.
It varies by type of vessel, trade and company. Minimum wages are usually ITF agreement, but I don’t think many here would be interested in jobs coming under those pay scales.

Here is a link to a Salary Survey carried out by Faststream in July 2012: https://twitter.com/faststreamsea/status/652429354606153728
The numbers may not be relevant in today’s market, where even us Freelancers have had to drop our day rates just to get some work. What I did notice was that for shore based jobs the salaries in Asia exceeded those payed in US for some categories. (Doesn’t G.Captain also carry out one??)

PS> Faststream is a good recruitment agency, with offices both in the US, Singapore, Australia and UK (Hq)
Drop them a line with your CV. You never know, you may find a job that suite you somewhere in the world.

If you don’t mind LOOOONG sea voyages and never know where you may end up, maybe this company is something for you: http://www.poshterasea.com.sg/fleet-list/
Most of their tugs are over 3000 GT, but the three smallest (12,000 Bhp./150 M.t. BP sneaks in just below.
I remember meeting an American Master on one of those a couple of years ago.

No one in the US is going to work for ITF wages, except maybe a kid that just needs the seatime to upgrade.

I normally would not consider less than $20,000 per month at sea. That’s typical in the US.

Occasionally, I see foreign ads seeking Masters under 45 or 50. I have looked for foreign jobs but have gotten a lot of rejections based on age and nationality. Not having an unlimited license is also a huge disadvantage.

The Canadians seem to find good paying jobs in Singapore. At least they did a couple years ago.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;173465]No one in the US is going to work for ITF wages, except maybe a kid that just needs the seatime to upgrade.

I normally would not consider less than $20,000 per month at sea. That’s typical in the US. [/quote]

I assume you are talking time ACTUALLY on board, not permanent employment on even time and monthly salary, which is the norm?
120K/yr. is well within what you can find as Master on large Ocean tugs, AHTSs, CSVs etc. I would think.

Occasionally, I see foreign ads seeking Masters under 45 or 50. I have looked for foreign jobs but have gotten a lot of rejections based on age and nationality. Not having an unlimited license is also a huge disadvantage.

In today’s market it is no wonder that younger Masters are preferred, especially since most quality operators are hiring with a view to long term permanent employment. (That may be different in the US? More of “Hire&fire” culture?)

Obviously having a limited ticket limits your choice. In general, smaller and less sophisticated OSVs would pay less as less skills and experience is required.

The Canadians seem to find good paying jobs in Singapore. At least they did a couple years ago.

I don’t meet many Canadians on the offshore vessels operating in this region. More Brits, Aussies, Kiwi, Filipino and East European Masters, but there are all nationalities to be found.
Americans are rarely found, though. Maybe because they don’t have the required licenses, or could there be an attitude problem? (Too confrontational??)
Non-mariner Americans are more common on Construction Barges and on some Rigs.

The US medical and social system is VERY different from that in other OECD countries, where Health Care, Pension, Unemployment benefits and other Social goodies are universal and taken care of by the State. It is not dependent on your Employer, or being employed. It is not for free though, it is paid for via your taxes. This applies if you are self-employed/un-employed as well.

If you are working abroad and don’t pay taxes to your home country, you can make voluntary contribution to the Social welfare system there, or buy private insurance and pension etc.

ALL quality Maritime Employers carry Insurance to cover their employees while they are working for them, even if that work is overseas, or on vessels under FoC flags. In fact this is required by ITF Agreements and if the Flag State have adopted MLC.

If a merchant mariner’s income while aboard or foreign were exempted we would find overseas work more lucrative and hence we would be there. And Indian seafarer income is exempt if they spend 180 days out of the country and the average Indian Master is knocking down $100+k a year, tax free. I remember talking at length about this with Jim Oberstar, who was very supportive of the idea and actually was trying to get it accomplished.

Tax free arrangement for Seafarers are common in most OECD countries. The arrangement varies, but the aim is to keep their nationals on ships under their flag, even if in an international register and trading world wide.
The 180 day limit has been there in former British colonies, like India and Singapore since the colonial time. It is not universal though, other countries has other ways of handling it.

The US system of demanding that foreign banks has to hand over banking details for any and all US citizen is causing a lot of pain for ordinary Americans living abroad, where you just HAVE to have a local bank account to function. Lots of banks refuse to open accounts for US citizen to avoid all the cost of complying, and the hassle and risk of being penalized by overzealous US regulators (Is America getting ready to pull up the drawbridge??)

PS> I read somewhere that the cost to US taxpayers to police this policy for ordinary citizens is costing nearly as much as the taxes gained from the big fish it is designed to catch. (They just find different ways to do it)

[QUOTE=ombugge;173482]

The US system of demanding that foreign banks has to hand over banking details for any and all US citizen is causing a lot of pain for ordinary Americans living abroad, where you just HAVE to have a local bank account to function. Lots of banks refuse to open accounts for US citizen to avoid all the cost of complying, and the hassle and risk of being penalized by overzealous US regulators (Is America getting ready to pull up the drawbridge??)

PS> I read somewhere that the cost to US taxpayers to police this policy for ordinary citizens is costing nearly as much as the taxes gained from the big fish it is designed to catch. (They just find different ways to do it)[/QUOTE]

The big fish can afford the lawyers to help escape the US tax man as can the US corporations. It is conservatively estimated that over 1 trillion dollars are stashed in other countries by “US” corporations and “citizens”. US mariners do not have the financial resources to pay for legally stashing money and dodging taxes.

I did know an American mariner that was working in Singapore. He lost his job in the offshore downturn and is now working back in the US. He was getting $1000 a day 90 on / 90 off. The employer treated him as a contractor and required and him to set up an LLC. The LLC opened a local bank account. The employer paid his “contractor fee” to the local LLC with no taxes taken out. He had his LLC paid him a salary, upon which he paid US taxes. He had to pay US taxes because he did not stay out of the US for 330 days per year. He keep some of the untaxed money in his local LLC which he ended up investing in foreign real estate. This is just one of the many ways that a US citizen can open a foreign bank account and collect a fee for his services overseas without having to pay US taxes on all of the money.

It certainly is true that the IRS has made personal foreign banking almost impossible for US citizens in most countries.

So how much would an unlimited mate make.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;173485]The big fish can afford the lawyers to help escape the US tax man as can the US corporations. It is conservatively estimated that over 1 trillion dollars are stashed in other countries by “US” corporations and “citizens”. US mariners do not have the financial resources to pay for legally stashing money and dodging taxes.[/QUOTE]

Yes a lot of money is believed to be stashed in foreign countries by US Corporations and very rich private US citizens.
As we agree they can afford to hire the best Bankers and Lawyers that money can buy to help them keep their loot safe.

My questions are;

• How much has IRS managed to recover relative to the cost to taxpayers?
  • How much does it cost in time and money for foreign banks and finance institutions to comply with this unilateral requirement?
  • How much grievance has this caused to the many US citizens that live and work abroad?

Since several thousands have renounced their US citizenship only this year so far, the answer to the last must obviously be; considerable.

Yes, as Tugsailor point out, there are ways around tax rules, but for somebody who live in a foreign country without the financial possibilities (or knowledge) to establish a limited company, it is difficult to manage normal day-to-day finances without a local bank account.

To set up a Pte. Ltd. Company in Singapore is quick and easy and 100% foreign ownership is allowed. That is NOT the case in all countries. I would think that another reason he needed to do so could be that he needed an Employment Pass to work in Singapore. (I did so, before I became Permanent Resident)

FYI: One of the largest Banks in Norway has stopped handling cash over the counter at ALL their Oslo outlets. The last one in Oslo closed last week:http://www.thelocal.no/20151030/norways-second-bank-to-refuse-cash-from-monday )

If you want to draw or deposit cash you have to use an ATM, which requires a Bank Card, which requires an account.
In other words; No Card, No Money. Consequently; No Money, No Honey.