Is this SOP?

A new AB licensee gets hired as an O/S to get work experience on an ocean-going tug for a 40 day on and 20 day off stint. The company flies him from his home state to the tug’s location in another state where he boards the vessel and works for 12 days. No complaints from captain or crew about his work and gets along well with all. The tug heads back to his home state and the office called in the morning telling him to pack his stuff and go home and to call the office regularly to check on jobs. The crew said that this type of thing was not unusual, especially for a newbie. Would appreciate comments.

The crew said he did a good job but what did the Captain say? It’s possible he rubbed the Captain the wrong way and the old man didn’t have the balls to say anything to his face.

Just a theory though, might be one of a thousand things like making room for a guy with seniority that’s trying to get back to work.

[I]“like making room for a guy with seniority that’s trying to get back to work.”[/I]
That one happend to me once.

[quote=cmjeff;11443]The crew said he did a good job but what did the Captain say? It’s possible he rubbed the Captain the wrong way and the old man didn’t have the balls to say anything to his face.

Just a theory though, might be one of a thousand things like making room for a guy with seniority that’s trying to get back to work.[/quote]

Interestingly the Captain also got the phone call and left the ship. The second explanation would make sense.

Is the 40 day on, 20 day off contract that was initially signed still valid despite having left the tug? Or is a new contract signed for each separate sea job with the same company?

sorry for your experience…hope I am wrong but sounds like you are a casuality of “right to work”…the GOM states are “right to work” states where when it comes to employment the employee has very few rights in that the employer doesnot need a reason to terminate an employee…you may have been hired to fill a temporary vaccancy due to another’s illness or injury…that said if you signed a contract they should pay out the balance…you can make the request and see where that takes you…maybe they will retain you…I wouldn’t press it though…you might find you name on some “list” somewhere.

Well. as SeaDawg says, SOP? We ain’t got no stinkin’ SOP. I’d call the office and ask about the contract (I’ve never signed a contract …). And ask what their intentions are. If tour tug had a ‘regular’ crew and you and the master were just filling in they Should have told you, but companies do that … get used to it.

I’m going to take a wild guess, probably wrong … if the company’s initials were RMG … forget it and look elsewhere.