Is the coast guard preparing for WAR?

[QUOTE=Quimby;105454]I second that motion.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know how many people here know how close that actually came to pass in the mid 90’s but the Corps members howled at how their careers were going to be ruined and once again the special interests of the few trumped the common interests of the many. Washington at work!

Of course, there was just as strong of a push to close KP at the same time. We see where that one also went and how many hundreds and hundreds of millions dollars vaporized into mist!

Not to hi-jack this thread, but the below from Workboat.com tells a lot about the direction of the USCG as far as our little red books go. I know that is another thread, but i am not going to look for it, this one has better pictures…
Mr. Cassidy ran Baltimore REC for some time, and was a good advocate to have there.

Disgusted with the National Maritime Center

Sound Off

April 9, 2013

By J.K. Cassady III, Retired Chief, REC Baltimore

When you can no longer support your employer’s policies and its conduct towards some of its customers [mariners], it’s time to retire and move on. That is what I have done after 20 years as the chief of the U.S. Coast Guard Baltimore Regional Exam Center (REC).

Since the Coast Guard’s National Maritime Center (NMC) in West Virginia became operational (in 2007), too often mariners have found that the decisions made by those at the NMC has hurt their careers and livelihoods. The RECs in the NMC’s original vision statement were to be advocates for the mariner, which I attempted to do many times when I found that they were being harmed by the incorrect decisions being made by the contractual/new GS evaluators at NMC. I questioned and complained so many times about bad evaluations that I was directed by my supervisors to only concern myself with making sure all the “i’s and t’s” were dotted and crossed on the applications and not to contact the NMC evaluators because I was upsetting them.

I was told not to assist the mariner but to refer them to the NMC hot line if they had questions about their applications. This is not in my DNA so I told the mariner how to get corrective action if possible by asking for reconsideration. If they were not successful there, then I told them to appeal to Coast Guard headquarters, taking the final decision away from the NMC.

A little secret that the NMC doesn’t want mariners to know about appeals is that in the past, 67 percent of the appeals made to Coast Guard headquarters have come back in favor of the mariner and against the decision made by NMC.

One other thing: Mariners, make sure you make copies of every document you submit because some evaluators have a way of conveniently saying they never received them with your application.

By J.K. Cassady III, Retired Chief, REC Baltimore

Is this how you like to spend your time? Bashing a service that was forged in the blood of those who are willing to go in harms way so that others may live. Your posts are in very poor form. Goes twice for C.captain. You should take a day and consider why you would post such simple & cutting rhetoric. Your attempts are so completely destructive that your points and counter argument rebuttals fail every standard of logic known to man & mariner alike. I am going to eat some pancakes.

[QUOTE=jvandenheuvel;105499]Is this how you like to spend your time? Bashing a service that was forged in the blood of those who are willing to go in harms way so that others may live. Your posts are in very poor form. Goes twice for C.captain. You should take a day and consider why you would post such simple & cutting rhetoric. Your attempts are so completely destructive that your points and counter argument rebuttals fail every standard of logic known to man & mariner alike. I am going to eat some pancakes.[/QUOTE]

Jeez J, I know you drink and bleed the kool-aid but I hope u don’t don’t believe everything u read on the internet. What is next, thought control? I know I served to protect the rights of everyone, including idiots, to have their own opinion. I know we gave up a lot of rights after 9/11 but I don’t think they have completely taken away that one yet.

Wait until u get out and see it from the other side, especially as a customer and then, maybe, u will understand.

[QUOTE=jvandenheuvel;105499] Your attempts are so completely destructive that your points and counter argument rebuttals fail every standard of logic known to man & mariner alike.[/QUOTE]

♫ We don’t want to fight but by Jingo if we do ♫♫

♫ We’ve got the ships, we’ve got the men, we’ve got the money too ♫♫

Look up jingoism, lad.

[QUOTE=jvandenheuvel;105499]Is this how you like to spend your time? Bashing a service that was forged in the blood of those who are willing to go in harms way so that others may live. Your posts are in very poor form. Goes twice for C.captain. You should take a day and consider why you would post such simple & cutting rhetoric. Your attempts are so completely destructive that your points and counter argument rebuttals fail every standard of logic known to man & mariner alike. I am going to eat some pancakes.[/QUOTE]

Hey welcome to the forum, get used to it! Good luck!

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;105501]Jeez J, I know you drink and bleed the kool-aid but I hope u don’t don’t believe everything u read on the internet. What is next, thought control? I know I served to protect the rights of everyone, including idiots, to have their own opinion. I know we gave up a lot of rights after 9/11 but I don’t think they have completely taken away that one yet.

Wait until u get out and see it from the other side, especially as a customer and then, maybe, u will understand.[/QUOTE]

R
Thanks Sr. The photos are in poor taste. I can empathize with the frustrations posted on this forum. I am not trying (Nor could I attempt to) muzzle the detractors. I feel on the other hand, it’s important to exercise my opinion (forum) that a mistake is being made when you deface OUR nation’s naval/maritime leaders with adolescent antics. What can I say? … I enjoy my freedom. Thanks for your service. Let’s enjoy this Saturday outdoors.

J you should see how we bash each other, just stay out of the Korean Peninsula and Obama threads (lololol)

It’s all in fun (right guys?)

On a serious note, there are legit gripes here that the powers that be should pay heed to, sorry if you have to read between the tasteless lines to get to them.

[QUOTE=jvandenheuvel;105499] Your attempts are so completely destructive that your points and counter argument rebuttals fail every standard of logic known to man & mariner alike. [/QUOTE]

Funny, that’s how I feel when Papp puts on combat fatigues… that in doing so his antics are completely counter to the USCG’s mission and are destructive to it’s good name as a protector of people and not an aggressor.

I also want to clarify that we are not defacing the service only it’s leader ADM Pappy.

[QUOTE=jvandenheuvel;105518]R
Thanks Sr. The photos are in poor taste. I can empathize with the frustrations posted on this forum. I am not trying (Nor could I attempt to) muzzle the detractors. I feel on the other hand, it’s important to exercise my opinion (forum) that a mistake is being made when you deface OUR nation’s naval/maritime leaders with adolescent antics. What can I say? … I enjoy my freedom. Thanks for your service. Let’s enjoy this Saturday outdoors.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your empathy and, as mentioned, I feel the same as you do. Except my frustration is with Papp’s adolescent antics.

I haven’t worn full camo since playing games paintball as an adolescent and neither should Papp. It just sends the wrong message.

[QUOTE=commtuna;105464]As far as the fatigues go, there are many uniforms that the general public do not see us wear. Blue, green, jungle, digital and desert patters are all in use for specific purposes…[/QUOTE]

Yes and rightly so but, in the first photo, what is the specific purpose Papp got dressed up in that outfit for a photo shoot?

In the second photo what is the purpose that THE ENTIRE AUDIENCE of coasts is dressed in fatigues?

I’m all for the Coast Guard wearing battle dress when fighting drug smugglers or working aboard navy ships but why have the administrative types recently (i.e. [I][B]under Papp’s leadership[/B][/I]) started wearing combat uniforms??

When one commented about the cult…and how the USCG dresses now, I came to mind something I was taught back in school, history class…

Himmler made the SS-company to become some sort of sacred cult…Perhaps history repeats itself! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=cmjeff;105536]…
I’m all for the Coast Guard wearing battle dress when fighting drug smugglers or working aboard navy ships but why have the administrative types recently (i.e. [I][B]under Papp’s leadership[/B][/I]) started wearing combat uniforms??[/QUOTE]

The blue fatigue-like uniform became common at CG HQ under Allen. It was discontinued at CG HQ under Papp, currently military CG at HQ have to wear the bus driver uniform.

If those BDUs are made by the same outfit that made the ones the Navy now wears, he better not stand too close to an open flame.