Is SIU That Bad And Is There Really A Shortage?

Title basically says it all. I just need information and if this is repetitive I apologize. I am new to Gcaptain and am browsing all the time. I am considering to join SIU since my dream was always working on a container ship going overseas. However; is it that bad as they say it is, and is there a huge shortage of mariners?

I am single, no kids, and want to “explore” or travel to other countries for a bit. So I feel like deep sea is perfect for me.

I’ve worked basically the Great Lakes my whole entire maritime career; from 700’-1000’ bulk carrier ships. I’m not new to hard labor.

I’ve had days on the lakes where I had to clean out cargo holds attatched to a harness hiking up the hold, on a chain with a 2 1/2 inch water hose to clean coal out, etc. 15 hour days sometimes but always that. But either way, These jobs were direct hire, so I am extremely new to union halls and all this confusing information to get a job in the hall. I understand the seniority with the A-C book and all that, but I am decisive because I don’t want to be put on a tug or a small ship. (Am I soft? Lol maybe, I don’t want to share a room)

Can I pick which kind of vessel I can be on? I assume that’s how it works?

Even though the Great Lakes does not require any STCW at all(Crazy right) I’ve managed to aquire these credentials:

STCW Basic Training, VPSD, RFPNW, Able-Seaman Unlimited, lifeboatman, OS, and PSC. Obviously have my passport, medical, and TWIC.

The problem is I do not have Able-Seafarer Deck, so I cannot be an AB with all this time I assume with SIU, due to that stupid limitation of AS-D. I do not have it because I got my RFPNW in September of 2023, it is not required on Great Lakes so not enough sea days for AS-D sailing with RFPNW.

I’ve heard however, that they are so short on people at SIU some companies are hiring OS-Special which is essentially OS with AB pay since I have all the credentials except AS-D.

TL:DR - Either way, can someone give me information on the hall since it’s unfamiliar territory for me? Can I get on a ship of my choice if available? Easy to get work? What not to do? Etc…

Much appreciated.

With C seniority you are will be last to get a job. However if jobs are plentiful and no more takers then it’s up to you which ship to go to.

Not sure how it works now, Only time I went to the hall was to find extra ,local tug work on my time off. The hall got me my first ever job. Any other work was by me showing up at an SIU contracted company or working the phone. Sounds like there is plenty of work to go around, as it was a ways back.