Union question

(I’m new to this. I am fairly intrigued by ships and sailing. No experience what so ever other than basic at great lakes in 2006. I have my twic. Just got my physical and dot drug screen done. Pretty sure I can get an su rating from my army training. And using my mgib to get my stcw 95 certs. ) question: is how likely is it to get a ship with c seniority threw the siu? (I spoke to a rep at the mobile location about joining and she pretty much told me I had to go threw the ua training at piney point to be able to get a ship right away.) Next question : why would I do that if I can get the training paid for myself? I’m very new to this any info would help.

[QUOTE=jowens06;135835](I’m new to this. I am fairly intrigued by ships and sailing. No experience what so ever other than basic at great lakes in 2006. I have my twic. Just got my physical and dot drug screen done. Pretty sure I can get an su rating from my army training. And using my mgib to get my stcw 95 certs. ) question: is how likely is it to get a ship with c seniority threw the siu? (I spoke to a rep at the mobile location about joining and she pretty much told me I had to go threw the ua training at piney point to be able to get a ship right away.) Next question : why would I do that if I can get the training paid for myself? I’m very new to this any info would help.[/QUOTE]

C book shipping with the SIU is rough, especially in Mobile. I went through the UA program and glad i did. I came out with an AB Limited and all that basic safety stuff and now i’m starting to venture out into the parts of industry i want and am getting positive feedback. If you can swing the program do it. Its free and its the quickest way to an AB Limited.