International Transportation Management Graduate Program

I am very interested the International Transportation Management Graduate Program at SUNY Maritime but I have no previous experience or education in the maritime field. I do have a B.A. from SUNY Stony Brook in Environmental Design & Planning. My question, for whom ever can help, is whether or not the M.S. Program would help me obtain a good job within the Maritime Industry, without having to go for the license? Would getting the Shipping Brokers certificate as well as the Supply Chain Management certificate on top of the Master’s make a big difference? I am trying to get a sense of what I would be capable of doing with this advanced degree with no previous undergraduate experience.

You might want to look at this page on the Maritime website and note the prerequisites

http://www.sunymaritime.edu/Academics/Graduate%20Program/Outline.aspx.

[QUOTE=Danny3459;128193]I am very interested the International Transportation Management Graduate Program at SUNY Maritime but I have no previous experience or education in the maritime field. I do have a B.A. from SUNY Stony Brook in Environmental Design & Planning. My question, for whom ever can help, is whether or not the M.S. Program would help me obtain a good job within the Maritime Industry, without having to go for the license? Would getting the Shipping Brokers certificate as well as the Supply Chain Management certificate on top of the Master’s make a big difference? I am trying to get a sense of what I would be capable of doing with this advanced degree with no previous undergraduate experience.[/QUOTE]

I went through the program after doing my undergraduate there and getting a license, so it’s a different road, but same outcome. I have the brokers certificate - not sure if it will ever do me any good as I am currently sailing, but I suppose it’s something that might be useful if you go straight to an office. If it were me, I would go for the license, whether you plan on sailing or not. It would give you some good insight into the industry and earn you a modicum of respect if you go into the office - at least you’ll know the pointy end from the flat end, and the left side from the right side. If you have any questions about the program feel free to ask or PM me.

1 Like

Hi New3M,

I am currently applying for the same graduate program as you for Fall 2018. I am coming for a completely unrelated field into the graduate program and will be obtaining the license as well. I was wondering, now that time has passed since 2014. Do you think your masters in international transportation management helped get a leg up in this industry? Does it help you obtain a job shore-side easier?

I think the recommendation remains the same. Get the license with the degree. The majority of the folks in the program are also getting the license, and many that aren’t already have one or experience shoreside. Those without are deifinitely in the minority. If I were the hiring manager I’d take someone with sailing experience over someone without.

2 Likes

@James_Tong

I am still currently sailing, so I can’t say whether the Masters degree has given me a leg up or not. Certainly not in promotions while sailing. In fact, at one time I was on a ship where 4 of the 5 deck officers all had Masters degree’s. I can’t answer the shore-side question but I would hope that it would give you a bit of a leg up, but my recommendation would be to have sailing experience to go along with the degree.

2 Likes

@New3M
I PMed you :+1: