International capacities Limitations? Domestic Capacities?Help please explain

Does anyone know how to figure out what they mean? For example I have an (Ocean) License but under international capacities it says near coastal? Under Domestic it does indicate Upon Oceans? Is there no such thing in international ratings?
Can anyone help explane the NMC can not after several tries.

Frank:confused:

A USCG Master with an Oceans endorsement can sail from a US port to a foreign port greater than 200nm from shore. (Say Norfolk to Bermuda.) With a near coastal rating, the voyage must begin and end in a US port. The STCW portion of your credential indicates in what capacity you can sail internationally.

A few exceptions to sailing internationally would be Canada, Bahamas, and Mexico, I think.

The first page of your MMC is your ugly mugshot.

The second page of your MMC is the international portion. That is where your STCW codes are, and what it says is what you can do internationally.

The third page is the domestic page. What your endorsement says there applies to what you can do domestically.

Note that bith the second and third pages have different wording. It IS possible that the NMC worded your STCW page incorrectly. It happened to me the first time, but they graciously fixed it in a week, (for free)

Hi

My international page says near coastal only, but my domestic page says oceans. Does that sound right to you? If so does this mean that I can not go international with what I have?

The NMC probably made a mistake… That being said,… My International page does not mention Oceans or Near Costal… Only the domestic portion.

Same here. With the NMC, anything is possible.

Somewhere in the last six months I recall reading that a Master 500 GRT Oceans is only worth an ITC 3000 NC, but a Master 1600 GRT Oceans is worth an ITC 3000 Oceans.

Sorry, but I can not cite the source off the top of my head. And I am susceptible to brain farts.

[QUOTE=JW-Oceans;71426]The NMC probably made a mistake… That being said,… My International page does not mention Oceans or Near Costal… Only the domestic portion.[/QUOTE]
Maybe not. If you qualified for STCW by an approved OSV program, you get near coastal STCW because that is what the programs were approved for. If you qualified by either NMC policy letter 01-02 or it’s successor, CG-543 policy letter 11-07, then you get either N/C or oceans, depending on whether you did the celestial nav. assessments.