Inmarsat-C GPS connection problem

Good Morning,

I did do a forum search for any possible answers to my query but nothing came up.

We are having connection problems with our Inmarsat-C. It’s a Furuno Felcom 15. Each time it is powered up an alarm of ‘External NAV Equipment Failure’ goes off. Once we manually input our position the alarm still sounds. All of the internal tests come back as good (PV, Diagnostic, and Distress Alert Button Tests). We’ve checked all of the cables for potential loose wires or wires being pinched but have found nothing that looks to be the cause.

I have contacted Furuno for assistance but as of yet they have not gotten back with me.

Any suggestions on my next course of action?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=trvlerjenn;165158]Good Morning,

I did do a forum search for any possible answers to my query but nothing came up.

We are having connection problems with our Inmarsat-C. It’s a Furuno Felcom 15. Each time it is powered up an alarm of ‘External NAV Equipment Failure’ goes off. Once we manually input our position the alarm still sounds. All of the internal tests come back as good (PV, Diagnostic, and Distress Alert Button Tests). We’ve checked all of the cables for potential loose wires or wires being pinched but have found nothing that looks to be the cause.

I have contacted Furuno for assistance but as of yet they have not gotten back with me.

Any suggestions on my next course of action?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

It’s strange that you get the alarm when you attempt to enter the position manually. A manually entered positon is legally acceptable and the system should not alarm until the position is not updated after four hours.

Other then that I don’t know anything beyond the obvious; I’d check the manual to make sure you are entering the data correctly. Also study the manual in general, check the “trouble shooting section”. Shut down and restart connected equipment (GPS).

I know this is obvious but you have lost the GPS feed to your Felcom 15. Putting the position in manually is not a good solution if, like many vessels, your Felcom 15 also does your LRIT reporting. Are you having any other GPS related issues on any other equipment? ( Radar, AIS, etc) I would follow the wires to the interface box to be sure the GPS feed to the Felcom has not been disconnected. Verify the serial string from the GPS unit feeding it. Next check out the GPS that feeds the data to the unit. More than likely, IME, is that a wire has come loose. If you are not having any other GPS issues then it should be isolated to the feed going to the felcom unit, baud rate or in rare instances ( very unlikely) the GPS card on the Felcom.

Check ALL the wire again, not just looking put ensuring that they are secure in the TB. Also verify that the GPS channel feeding the serial data is still enabled.

I’m not familiar with this exact unit but…

The OP doesn’t say if the unit is getting postion data or not. Not sure but I don’t think “External Nav Equipment” is the same as GPS data. IIRC loss of position data gives a differant alarm.

Of course check cables but I’d dig into the manual as well.

Thanks CapChitown. Incidentally, I am having a GPS issue with one of the radios connected to the GMDSS. I’ve attempted to trace the wires from our primary to the GMDSS but its lost in the jumble of cables (as well as through bulkheads and overheads). Everything still seems tight inside the unit itself. I’ll check your recommendations.

Thank you again.