GMDSS Sub-Forum

I noticed that GMDSS doesn’t really have a forum to itself. I’m kind of new here, but I’d like to suggest that GMDSS be added as a Sub-Forum of the “Maritime Topics” forum.

Best,

Robert

1 Like

[QUOTE=rbc;139732]I noticed that GMDSS doesn’t really have a forum to itself. I’m kind of new here, but I’d like to suggest that GMDSS be added as a Sub-Forum of the “Maritime Topics” forum.

Best,

Robert[/QUOTE]
F-10…What else do you need to know?

Hmmm, from the Thrane & Thrane Radiotelex User Manual:

“F10 - Returns to the previous screen, or – from the TELEX and FEC terminals – exits Radiotelex. In most cases, the left arrow key can be used instead of F10.”

Is that what you mean?

[QUOTE=rbc;139738]Hmmm, from the Thrane & Thrane Radiotelex User Manual:

“F10 - Returns to the previous screen, or – from the TELEX and FEC terminals – exits Radiotelex. In most cases, the left arrow key can be used instead of F10.”

Is that what you mean?[/QUOTE]

F-10 shuts off the alarm.

The second most important thing to know is how to do the daily tests for the log.

If you done press “ESC” and allow the red message screens to stay up the alarm goes off far less frequently.

GMDSS = Goddamned Meaningless Deficient Stoopid System

nouf said…

1 Like

Two weeks of my life I’ll never get back. I got it. Press the red button if the ship is sinking.

1 Like

They ought to find a way to do most of the class online, maybe three days hands on, at most.

I do not get one extra penny from my employers for having this worthless GMDSS certificate. They only GMDSS sub forum we need is on how to get paid for having GMDSS.

Maybe we need a GMDSS Operator’s Union. (Don’t worry, I am joking.)

1 Like

Does most of the long range communications use satellite these days? I assume VHF is still heavily used for bridge-to-bridge calls. How about single-sideband voice on MF/HF?

Its mostly cellphones and satphones. SSB is virtually dead. VHF is active for bridge to bridge, but most of the social chatter has gone to cell phones.

yes and for one simple reason…EASY

How about single-sideband voice on MF/HF?

we used to use it daily in Alaska when I was working up there but certainly not in the GoM offshore. Never ever saw it in use in deepsea…always smaller vessels

I learned in GMDSS class that Inmarsat A is one if the fastest growing communication systems in use on the planet today. In 2014. The words archaic and superfluous come to mind.

[QUOTE=Fla-cracker;139761]I learned in GMDSS class that Inmarsat A is one if the fastest growing communication systems in use on the planet today. In 2014. The words archaic and superfluous come to mind.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like some classes need updating…

I think the text book was published in 1998. That’s like a hundred years in tech years.

I want to say I read at one point that the power of a commercial available computer doubled every 18 months. So a hundred tech years is about right.

Frankly I think the written and automatic DSC system is worthless. Countless false calls from people who don’t know how to properly operate their equipment, and another useless license and class. What was so wrong with actually making radio calls?

The DSC nonsense gets REALLY annoying when the Canadians decide to send out an all-ships DSC alert about some insignificant gale warning, blowing up our radios with alarms, all while we’re trying to communicate with: a) the pilot boat; 2) VTS; and d) that ship on a collision course. That and the tropical storm warnings blowing up our SAT-C. We’re going to Alaska, we don’t need to know about some piddling storm off Baja California.

The DSC controllers don’t have some kind of geographic filtering? If not, that’s pretty ugly. Even NOAA weather radio implements filtering, using SAME codes.

The DSC alerts are sent as an “all-ships” alert. At least it’s only within VHF range. The trouble with the SAT-C is the fact that NAVAREA XII is so flippin’ huge.

Is that duplication? It seems like NAVTEX would be a better and more localized venue for those alerts.

Gotta put my game face on for hurricane season. Then a few tsunami excercises, just to keep it interesting. Had a couple of USCG ship riders on board last year. The GMDSS experience was a real eye opener for them. They even got a chuckle over the pencil jammed wedged down on the F10 key.