If you could be a deck cadet all over again which vessel would you sail on?

Hello from Singapore,

I’m new to this forum. I’m also just doing my interviews for a deck cadet position. My question is, If you could be a deck cadet all over again which vessel would you sail on? In terms of salary, speed of promotion and good vessel to learn … All i’ve learned so far is that Tankers pay well, good training base but slow promotion! Which type of vessel gives good pay and fast promotions? Offshore is out though because they not hiring.

Sorry if this question has been asked before…i’m new & still learning.

Thanks Guys

I’m unlicensed so I was an apprentice but if I could do it over again I would have got a sponsor from an ATB or push boat company and went that route. OSG, kirby, someone like that.

[QUOTE=Deck Cadet;132617] All i’ve learned so far is that Tankers pay well, good training base but slow promotion! [/QUOTE]

Good pay and a chance to learn how to do your job is way better than a fast promotion into a role you are not trained well enough to handle. Take the tanker job and build on it.

Besides, what is best today is tomorrow’s shit job. Tankers used to be the best thing going then they were absolute crap jobs that paid the worst, now they are good again … nothing stands still gadget, learn to adapt.

I would sail on a log

[QUOTE=Quimby;132658]I would sail on a log[/QUOTE]

I’d take this fine ship which is the same as a log…

the kind of log found floating in a bowl!

The mighty M/v. Titian Uranus

Hi everyone,

I apologise for my absence…its been a long hard week of preparing for many interviews & tests.

I got a cadet position with Maersk Tankers.

Thank you for all your replies. I learnt something from all of you.

Here’s to the future…

Cheers