Icebreakers

This doesn’t m,atch the headline:

What is NOT domestic? Are there any Finnish input in the design?:

Not to my knowledge.

I think Wärtsilä’s auxiliary diesel engines still made it to this one, but they refused to supply equipment to the next one that was launched recently.

Last time Russia decommissioned its heavy diesel-powered icebreakers was in the mid-1990s when five technically obsolete first-generation Moskva-class polar icebreakers were sold for scrap shortly after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. However, the following Ermak class survived much longer with the lead ship now being cut up for parts to keep its sister ships Admiral Makarov and Krasin in operation.

However, three nuclear-powered Arktika-class icebreakers (Arktika, Rossiya and Sovetskiy Soyuz) were written off in the 2000s and 2010s. I saw Rossiya up close on its last deployment in 2012:

An interesting detail is the permanently-installed Soviet-era Drum Tilt fire control radar in front of the deckhouse: the first four Arktika-class icebreakers could be fitted with weapons. However, the guns were fitted only briefly for sea trials, and were removed and stored ashore afterwards.

I have an invention that will let barges and maybe ships as well go right through the ice if anyone cares about getting to the unloading docks on time hit my cell phone I’m looking for some one like a company to get it I also have an invention I’ve been improving on 40 years now I’m done now I am sure of it it works as well it’s Alot bigger than the ice barge invention I got some thing that will clear out from under where the barges and shops load and unload debris that goes under and through the water in floods an just moving fast water 309-857-9153 I’m David Moody texting me is faster than calling text I’ll call you back leave a message if no answer but text me if you call me and leave a message as well thanks

Design by VARD Marine, Canada a subsidiary of VARD Group AS Ålesund, Norway, which is a subsidiary of FINCANTIERI S.P.A.Trieste, Italy.
VARD 9-203. Specs:

A bit of “teething problems” must be expected with new and sophisticated ships:

Russia is building two more Project 22220 icebreakers:

From earlier reports:

Few icebreaker-related articles in Aker Arctic’s latest newsletter:

Old icebreakers find new purpose:

But newbuilding of icebreakers are being cut back:

Budget overrun is nothing exceptional, Russia got them too:

I chuckled a bit when I read about them bombing the very foundry from where they ordered the large hull castings.

Different departments. They don’t communicate well.
Not an exceptional Russian problem.

NOFORN bidders are invited.

Too thick ice, or too many ice ridges along the NSR this year?:

Yes I know it is not a heavy icebreaker, but not all ice is tick enough to require one:

Thin ice need to be broken too.

MANGYSTAU 2, Other, IMO 9560120 | Vessel details | BalticShipping.com

Ice along the Northern Sea Route is presently at its thickest as the melting season is about to start and Barents Observer is wondering why the Russians are not sending a light icebreaker capable of breaking only about a metre of ice there…

:facepalm:

PS> I don’t think the submersibles will not be made from carbon fiber composite.

I first thought those would be the submersibles for which China attempted to purchase personnel spheres made of maraging steel from Finland few years ago, but that was for another project. The foundry didn’t get an export permit.

The spare personnel sphere for Mir submersibles built for the Soviet Union was on display at a small gas station in Finland. They have since recovered it and it’s reportedly back in the foundry’s own collection.