Ice Pilot/Anchor Captains

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][B] [LEFT]Any Ice Pilot, Unlimited Master anchor captains???

CHOUEST TO BUILD AND OPERATE ICEBREAKER FOR SHELL[/LEFT]
[/B] [/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT] [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]Shell has contracted with Edison Chouest Offshore for the services of a 368-foot anchor handler/ice management vessel for Arctic service, beginning in 2012. This complies with the oil giant’s commitment to replace a foreign-flag vessel brought in before it became necessary for anchor handlers to be Jones Act vessels, although the project for which it was required has since moved several years to the right. I expect that they will find work for this expensive new boat somehow. [I]May 19, 2009.[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

I saw this press release the other day and was immediately struck by how awesome this vessel is going to be. How many HP and tons BP is she going to have?

Anyway, I’m U/L tonnage and have lots of Alaska ice experience. All I need is to learn anchors. Where do I apply?

[quote=c.captain;12676]I saw this press release the other day and was immediately struck by how awesome this vessel is going to be. How many HP and tons BP is she going to have?

Anyway, I’m U/L tonnage and have lots of Alaska ice experience. All I need is to learn anchors. Should I apply?[/quote]

I don’t see why not. I’m not sure about the equipment package. I haven’t asked, but I’m being asked to participate in a meeting this week regarding the contract and I might find out more. Most information is considered proprietary in these meetings and might not get to post it here. I don’t have any desire to go myself, but Roger White has said $1000/day for master to another captain. If that holds true, I’ll be there with a banana hammock on, but I don’t think it will be a very good job (for the master) with the politics involved. I doubt the rate is that high unless that was coupled with the “moral package” from Shell (Client bonus).

$1000/ day is at the high end of the union scale, so it’s not some made-up number. There are Captains making that. If you consider vessel size, tonnage, ice conditions, high horsepower, handling anchors, DP(?), and likely no satellite TV(?), $1000/day does not seem unreasonable. Whoever gets the job would certainly be deserving of that daily rate.

For a vessel which will probable earn $150k/day, $1000/day for master is very reasonable. Remember that benefits also need to be taken into account as well.

Masters on drillships are making about the same with excellent bennies but considering what they are legally responsible for it is just a drop in the bucket for a rig earning $500k/day.

The job in Alaska would be very appealing because it is getting to work in a frontier drilling environment which has tremendous potential. Obviously, the conditions are about as different from the GoM as possible and just about everything will have to be done differently than it is down here. I just wish the damn natives and courts wouldn’t keep shutting Shell’s and Conoco/Phillips’ drilling programs down. Getting any oil out of the Chukchi Sea will take a decade at least to get first oil flowing and that is only after the exploratory wells are drilled. Who the hell knows what the oil situation in the US will be in 10 years? It certainly won’t be like it is right now thats for sure!

Anchorman…is it ok for me to PM you?

[quote=c.captain;12766]For a vessel which will probable earn $150k/day, $1000/day for master is very reasonable. Remember that benefits also need to be taken into account as well.

Masters on drillships are making about the same with excellent bennies but considering what they are legally responsible for it is just a drop in the bucket for a rig earning $500k/day.

The job in Alaska would be very appealing because it is getting to work in a frontier drilling environment which has tremendous potential. Obviously, the conditions are about as different from the GoM as possible and just about everything will have to be done differently than it is down here. I just wish the damn natives and courts wouldn’t keep shutting Shell’s and Conoco/Phillips’ drilling programs down. Getting any oil out of the Chukchi Sea will take a decade at least to get first oil flowing and that is only after the exploratory wells are drilled. Who the hell knows what the oil situation in the US will be in 10 years? It certainly won’t be like it is right now thats for sure!

Anchorman…is it ok for me to PM you?
[/quote]

Sure. No problem.