I don't have tug boat experience

[B]NMC approved my application to take DDE Unlimited exam. I’ve been studying and I’m confident to pass the test. Even If I get the license, I don’t think I’m confident enough to be the sole engineer if I work in any boat that is lower than 500ton, because I’ve never worked on those kind of boat, like tugs. I don’t want to just jump in into a responsibility that I am not sure about even though I have the theoritical knowledge. What is the best way to gain a hands on experience so that I’ll be confident to apply for a tug engineer job?​[/B]

I would say a tug engineer’s job is not complex. Basically keep the machinery running is all that is needed. Basic mechanical, fluids and electrical is a must but not a whole lot more. This would be especially true on a older, simpler tug that does not have common rail technology aboard.

Even though not a licensed engineer myself, I am comfortable getting a tug running from cold if fitted with an older EMD or similar main. check lineups of fuel and water, build air, start prelube, blowdown, push the button

…I think?

What kind of experience do you have?

[QUOTE=z-drive;149260]What kind of experience do you have?[/QUOTE]

I was a Navy Electrician for 10 yrs, SIU Electrician 5yrs, QMED Oiler for more or less 12mos.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=c.captain;149258]I would say a tug engineer’s job is not complex. Basically keep the machinery running is all that is needed. Basic mechanical, fluids and electrical is a must but not a whole lot more. This would be especially true on a older, simpler tug that does not have common rail technology aboard.

Even though not a licensed engineer myself, I am comfortable getting a tug running from cold if fitted with an older EMD or similar main. check lineups of fuel and water, build air, start prelube, blowdown, push the button

…I think?[/QUOTE]

All I need is a few months hands on to familiarize myself with the system.

You’ll be fine. I see electrical as the weakness in many tug engineers, you won’t have that issue. Week or two and you’ll be good to go with your experience. An atb or tractor will take more time but tugs are kept simple. Fuel air water…

[QUOTE=z-drive;149263]You’ll be fine. I see electrical as the weakness in many tug engineers, you won’t have that issue. Week or two and you’ll be good to go with your experience. An atb or tractor will take more time but tugs are kept simple. Fuel air water…[/QUOTE]

How much an average salary for a DDE in a tug or atb?

Being a good engineer takes more than starting, stopping and maintenance. One really finds their purpose as an engineer when it all hits the fan. . . . and assistance is more than a couple of hours away. . .

400-700??? Depending on company and boat, location etc. It really varies

With that background, why work on tugs, go to a drill rig.

Or look for tug companies that train up engineers.

you could try some of the bigger new atb’s they sometimes carry assistant engineers

Crowley and OSG are the first companies that come to mind there

What is all this nonsense y’all are jabbering about? OSV engineers have been shit on ad nauseum on here because we are mud tankerman and oil changers. From what I’ve read on here Tugboat engineers cure cancer. Now y’all tell this fella ain’t nothing to it. Oh and you forgot to tell the guy he needs to be proficient in TV remote use and etiquette. Like its his remote until he decides to change his horizontal status from the galley to his bunk.

Personally, the ability to not shower and not wash hands before making a sandwich (post msd system) are the most important qualities in a good tugboat chief, but I’m trying to lean towards the mainstream and wasn’t going to go there… Until provoked.

Assuming your time is before mar 24, you can magically get Chief OSV unlimited along with your DDE unlimited. fyi.

A chief on a tug helps out on deck quite a bit more than an OSV…at least from my personal experiences. I’ve worked on tugs and osvs. SO if doing deck work is an issue you may want to steer clear…but on the other side of the coin you won’t have to worry about OBM or barite/cement transfers working tugs.

[QUOTE=z-drive;149297]Personally, the ability to not shower and not wash hands before making a sandwich (post msd system) are the most important qualities in a good tugboat chief, but I’m trying to lean towards the mainstream and wasn’t going to go there… Until provoked.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was referring to with tug chiefs working on deck more. Last hitch my captain commented on how it was great I was cooking all the time…because engineers have so much time on their hands. Just worrying about cooking dinner and watching steve wilkos.

You can be sure the chief has eaten a sandwich recently when You see brown fingerprints on the cold cuts.