How to get started on container ships

I just wrapped up my first season of sailing on the Great Lakes. It was everything I was hoping for. On that same note, I’m sick of seeing Duluth, Minnesota amd the surrounding area. I’d really would like to get into international container ships, along with widening my maritime career… I’m under the impression that I’ll need and STCW and a passport. However, I’m also under the impression I’ll need to join the SIU. Which I’m not too thrilled about. I haven’t heard much good about them. Is there anyway to get into container ships and not go through the SIU. I’m also not thrilled to have sea time and have to attend an academy.

I am not sure what allure container ships have for you but the reality of the situation is that your options are limited. You have a choice of either the SIU or SUP. Looking for entry level positions with low seniority is a very tough road to row. It is for that reason the SIU’s Apprentice program is a viable option to get started and a leg up.

There are also non-union freight outfit that run up to Alaska that might interest you but other than that, there are few options. I suppose I should also mention MSC as a possibility but you are looking for container ships.

1 Like

You heard bad things about the SIU, so what? It’s like hearing bad things about utility companies.

Of course groups that are anti-union in general are going to pound away at how messed up unions are but for the most part aboard ship the topic rarely comes up. They run the halls, the schools, the insurance etc.

When you’re aboard ship the union it just not something you’d spend much time thinking about. It’d be like sitting around the house bitching about the electric company or what ever.

3 Likes

If you’re in the engine department you can also check out the MFOW.

3 Likes

Wise words. So obvious and true I laughed out loud .

3 Likes

[quote=“Kennebec_Captain, post:3, topic:53855”]
It’d be like sitting around the house bitching about the electric company or what ever.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Why? You have one season on the lakes, it’s not like you have much sea time. If you have any aspirations of licensure definitely go to the academy now.

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound like you’re thrilled about much. Yeh, you have to join SIU or SUP if you want to get on a container ship.

If your dream is to use shipping as a way to visit exotic ports for extended stays then forget about container shipping. Go with MSC that’s the last bastion of exotic port calls and sight seeing.

3 Likes

I would also suggest the Government contract ships like the TAGS as an option to see the world stress free.

1 Like

Government contract ships?

Government owned, but operated under contract by companies such as Maersk or whomever wins the contract when they come up for bid. The example I mentioned, TAGS, are multi-mission oceanographic survey ships.

1 Like

Yeh. My buddies who work those Navy owned, contract crewed, special mission ships are forever sending me pics from awesome port calls.

Container ships run a tight as hell schedule. If you are lucky enough to get off the the ship in your port, it will be a very,very short visit.

2 Likes

I counted it a blessing if I got dinner ashore.

2 Likes

Agree Seadog!

1 Like

The union has most container ships under contract. Im surprised to were not able to obtain STCW while working on the Lakes? You will need STCW in most cases. and if you plan to work deep sea you will need a passport. Also Vessel security (1) day course can be done online, Consider MSC

1 Like

I agree seadog 24 hour turnaround sucks run ashore and run back lol

The apprenticeship program SIU? Id rather work on a dredge then go thru that !

That’s correct Go MSC see the world. That’s why I went that route. I just wish the pay would’ve been better you can’t have everything. When I was young usually had no money left by the end of my rotation. Sometimes I even had to extend because I was having so much fun :tada:

1 Like