How should I approach a career at sea?

What should my first step be? I have a little money to go to a school, should I start there, or just try my luck as a OS? Is this a good time to go into this field, or will the jobs be dried up by the time I graduate? I’m as new as newbies get and very much lost looking over the options… I appreciate any bit of expertise anyone could throw my way. Any recommendations on schools or were to start? I live in Portland Or, if that makes any difference.

FIRST THING!!!

Do a search for a thread titled “Read this first if you are thinking about becoming a mariner”

Your second search should be for a thread titled " Need a new section"

Only after you have read and memorized those two may you ask questions.

Or you can choose option “C” and get familiar with the “pointy stick”

I would call the coast guard and get the info needed for your MMC if you don’t have one yet. Then i would check out siu or some kind of cargo shipping companies probably have better luck getting hired on there. The schoolings wont help you move up because all depends on sea time.

As an all wise and knowing man once said to the world “fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son

My advice is to heed his words well and to start drinking heavily!

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;80178]FIRST THING!!!

Do a search for a thread titled “Read this first if you are thinking about becoming a mariner”

Your second search should be for a thread titled " Need a new section"

Only after you have read and memorized those two may you ask questions.

Or you can choose option “C” and get familiar with the “pointy stick”[/QUOTE]

Wait… so what are options “A” and “B”? Are those “Do a search” and then do a “second search”? I only ask because those seem to be written out as sequential commands, (one to do after the other) and not “options”. Kind of like in the Entrapment trailer when Sean Connery says "Rule number one: how do I know you’re not a cop?"See how that makes no sense? “How do I know you’re not a cop?” isn’t a rule. Just like “do this, then this” aren’t two different options.

Either way hilarious post wise guy.

People get tired of answering the same stupid questions from clueless wannabes over and over again.

Search for and read both (maybe more) of the READ this first threads, then think before you formulate and ask some slightly informed questions. If you do that, you will find that people here will be quite generous with their time and provide a lot of helpful information.

Otherwise, you’re not going to get much help on here, but you’ll probably get a few snide comments.

We should start a section just for FNG’s. Maybe then this forum wont be flooded with the same dang questions non stop

[QUOTE=davidherbertanderson;80286]Wait… so what are options “A” and “B”? Are those “Do a search” and then do a “second search”? I only ask because those seem to be written out as sequential commands, (one to do after the other) and not “options”. Kind of like in the Entrapment trailer when Sean Connery says "Rule number one: how do I know you’re not a cop?"See how that makes no sense? “How do I know you’re not a cop?” isn’t a rule. Just like “do this, then this” aren’t two different options.

Either way hilarious post wise guy.[/QUOTE]

I see it more like Clint Eastwood in the movie Heart break ridge, when he asks private Jones to take a step forward then says thanks for volunteering.

You are right they are not really options, you should search the threads, read them, then ask questions.

As for option “C” and the pointy stick you obviously have no idea what that is yet. Go ahead punk make c.captains day and choose option “C” I dare you!!!

The c.kraken is stirring.

Carefully. Very very carefully. Only after all other options have been exhausted!

I recommend going to school for ANYTHING BUT the seafaring life.

Wait for it…

[QUOTE=davidherbertanderson;80286]Wait… so what are options “A” and “B”? Are those “Do a search” and then do a “second search”? I only ask because those seem to be written out as sequential commands, (one to do after the other) and not “options”. Kind of like in the Entrapment trailer when Sean Connery says "Rule number one: how do I know you’re not a cop?"See how that makes no sense? “How do I know you’re not a cop?” isn’t a rule. Just like “do this, then this” aren’t two different options.

Either way hilarious post wise guy.[/QUOTE]
We here, as highly trained professional mariners, do not give “OPTIONS”. We give “ORDERS”. The man said to read those two threads before asking more questions. Read the two threads, son. They will answer your basic “uninformed” questions and enable you to move up to basic “informed” questions. And watch out with the “wise guy” remarks or you will get absolutely NO help from any of us. Your proper answer at this point would be, “Thank you, Sir”.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;80322]We here, as highly trained professional mariners, do not give “OPTIONS”. We give “ORDERS”. The man said to read those two threads before asking more questions. Read the two threads, son. They will answer your basic “uninformed” questions and enable you to move up to basic “informed” questions. And watch out with the “wise guy” remarks or you will get absolutely NO help from any of us. Your proper answer at this point would be, “Thank you, Sir”.[/QUOTE]

Only a certified douchebag could come up with a username of “davidherbertanderson”. To say the least, a sure sign of a very limited imagination. An imaginative person would have chosen something colorful like “vladtheimpaler” or “idiamindada” for Christ’s sake.

How bout we just call our fine fellow “Flounder” instead?. That seems most fitting…NO?

Flounder it is! BTW, I loved flounders line just before the road trip. this is going to be great!!

Now, now, gentlemen…I think poor little Flounder probably gets it at this point, or at least one can hope. But seriously Flounder, I hope you take the advice of these good men and do a little thread searching. I myself (also a newbie) have spent a great deal of time on here looking around (starting a few months back), and even though I did [I]finally[/I] create a profile a few days ago, I still have not posted anything until now (I’m a lttle shy that way) because I have been able to find answers to all my questions, and then some, just by searching the threads.

These guys (and gals) do an AWESOME job of helping out on here and what I most appreciate about it is that they really don’t have to bother…but they do. In that spirit, I’d like to shout out a few thank you’s…Mr. Chile Caliente and Mr. Jeffrox, you guys rock! The time that you take to post job links on here goes over and above. bell47, your list is the bomb! And Jemplayer…what can I say? Everyone really does need to read this! Miss Claudette, when I do finally hit the bricks and start knockin on doors in LA, I’m coming to stay with you! And everyone else on here with so much good advice…Cappy208, gcsaylor, BMCS Retired, tug sailor, capt.phoenix…just to name a few…I say “THANK YOU.” You might never see this post, but I just wanted to express my appreciation anyway.

Thanks again,
Lulu (just a girl who loves to cook!)

PS: Hope my screen name works for you guys…wouldn’t want to end up like poor ole Flounder!
PSS: I am really glad Rebel finally got a job…nice and quiet!

[QUOTE=c.captain;80334]Only a certified douchebag could come up with a username of “davidherbertanderson”. To say the least, a sure sign of a very limited imagination. An imaginative person would have chosen something colorful like “vladtheimpaler” or “idiamindada” for Christ’s sake.

How bout we just call our fine fellow “Flounder” instead?. That seems most fitting…NO?[/QUOTE]

Now, now, gentlemen…I think poor little Flounder probablygets it at this point, or at least one can hope. But seriously Flounder, I hope you take theadvice of these good men and do a little thread searching. I myself (also a newbie) have spent a greatdeal of time on here looking around (starting a few months back), and eventhough I did finally create a profile a few days ago, I still have not postedanything until now (I’m a little shy that way) because I have been able to findanswers to all my questions, and then some, just by searching the threads.
These guys (and gals) do an AWESOME job of helping out onhere and what I most appreciate about it is that they really don’t have tobother…but they do. In that spirit,I’d like to shout out a few thank you’s…Mr. Chile Caliente and Mr. Jeffrox,you guys rock! The time that you take topost job links on here goes over and above. bell47, your list is the bomb! And Jemplayer…what can I say? Everyone really does need to read this! And Miss Claudette, when I do finally hit the bricks and start knockin ondoors in LA I’m coming to stay with you! And everyone else on here with so much good advice…Cappy208, gcsaylor,BMCS Retired, tug sailor, capt.phoenix, and you too c.captain…just to name a few…I say “THANKYOU”. You might never see thispost, but I just wanted to express my appreciation anyway.
Thanks again,
Lulu (just a girl who loves to cook!)
PS: Hope my screen name works for you guys…wouldn’t wantto end up like poor ole Flounder!
PSS: I am really glad Rebel finally got a job…nice andquiet!