How does "grub pay" work?

The company I work for now just has a boat budget for groceries so we don’t get grub pay. I know some companies pay like $15/day grub pay. Does this mean you just buy your own groceries or does everyone pool this together for groceries? Anyway, can someone explain how grub pay works? Thanks.

This can work one of two ways. Either the Company has accounts setup at places like Sam’s Club and the Captain sends a crew member shopping, but you do need to stay under the allotted amount. Or the Captain gets a check for the amount (or maybe takes it out of petty cash) and goes shopping. Either way someone is shopping for the entire crew.

In my almost 30 years of sailing I have seen more fights over Grub Money than just about anything else.

[QUOTE=bell47;137495]The company I work for now just has a boat budget for groceries so we don’t get grub pay. I know some companies pay like $15/day grub pay. Does this mean you just buy your own groceries or does everyone pool this together for groceries? Anyway, can someone explain how grub pay works? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

In the past I worked for one company that would give you a per diem. For us at the time it was 15 a day per man. The boat I was on we would take turns cooking and you were responsible for two meals a week. So if you were on a boat where everyone else was chipping in and you were shopping smart, you could make out on the deal…especially since the per diem came on a seperate check that was tax free. This could also be good for a tax write off.

The downside is being on the wrong boat with no structure and a bunch of deadbeats for shipmates.

Thanks guys.

And then you get the guy who thinks he’s entitled to whatever’s leftover and should put it all in his own pocket. Nothing worse than a grub-money thief.

Grub money causes more fights & causes more problems then anything on a boat.