How do you justify working offshore?

I’m not trying to provoke anger and I appreciate what you all do but my question is, after looking at the graphic below, how do you justify what you do for a living?

How do you sleep at night knowing your life and the environment is in constant danger?? What do you tell your wife, families and friends when they ask about the environment?

Curious minds want to know.

Do your parents know that you are not in bed?

If you care about the environment then why don’t you work offshore? At least then you would be in a position to help prevent problems rather than provoke them.

How do you justify driving a Prius?

Prius,
The answer to your question lies in that flashy graphic you provided. Bottom right-hand corner, “The United States uses 20 million barrels of oil a day.”

And Prius, you directly use some of those barrels of oil. Nearly everything manufactured uses petroleum in some form. I’m sure you are a consumer of some of those products. You are the reason these people are out here. Don’t you feel guilty now? Think about what you just posted. You look like a serious idiot.

Ok, we’ll just stop pumping and tie up the ships and barges and see how long you last… even with your prius.

I could not resist a response to this post. As mentioned in previous replies, you directly use products that have been created by petroleum. The computers that everyone uses to slam the oil industry are not made of “green” products. This is just so amazing. People complain about petroleum, but without it they will not be able to have all the things they have. If you are that against the oil industry, then recycle all your possessions and move out to the middle of no where with absolutely nothing but your hemp clothes and shoes and you will be on your way of contributing to the elimination of the dependence on oil (petroleum).

people like this dont have a clue, even his Pirus is made out of oil based products. Because of oil you buy your food at a store, your children can go to a school instead of you teaching them on a chalk board, you drink water that is piped to and through your house. You just showed how stupid you greenpeace people are

Guys, he’s trolling. Don’t feed the trolls.

Because we are all EVIL!!! We get perverse pleasure in knowing that someday, we are going to cause ECOLOGICAL DISASTER!!! (Followed by evil laugh)

What r u freaking stupid PRIUS? We r doing our jobs. Have you sent a post to some WALL STREET website too? They cost the U.S. (and you because I have a sneaky feeling you renounced your citizenship years ago to work for the Taliban or Al Qaeda) TRILLIONS. Have your mom wipe your tears and pat you on the head so you can to the next protest of whatever bothers you next.

LOL!!! that chart was so effective and well thought out…i think im just gonna quit working offshore…not pay my bills…go to jail and become a burden on everyone else…who uses oil…even to make most of the plastic that a prius is made of… HAHHAAA!!! to funny…

funny as in moronic… just stop long enough stick your head out of the “green fog” to look around you…if it is synthetic…then petroleum probably had a “play”!!

I do it to make pussy little prius driving hippies like you cry yourselves to sleep at night…

I’m just starting my career move to offshore work. Originally I grew up in commercial fishing (watch out for turtles), then to pax vessels. To make the answer simple, I feed my family, clothing is on their backs, put a roof over their heads, and Im going to be able to put my son through college. Basic answer…I sleep pretty damn good at night. So much so my wife elbows me on a regular basis because the harder I sleep, the more I snore. I don’t know about the rest of you but even with the economy coming back from the beating it took over the past 4 years, I feel pretty good that we can put tires on his prius, a TV in his home, plastics for his home, and even the bucket hes using for those tears he’s crying because of an accident that he’s taking to the extreme. How about the people who died or were injured on that rig to give him those wonderfull things he takes for granted or all of the oil workers and mariners who risk our lives to make living day by day that much easier for him.

As long as you’re working on ways to improve environmental safety on your boats then I’m cool with that. It’s those of u that resort to name calling when an honest question is asked that I worry about.

[QUOTE=Prius;32561]As long as you’re working on ways to improve environmental safety on your boats then I’m cool with that. It’s those of u that resort to name calling when an honest question is asked that I worry about.[/QUOTE]

I think the “how do you justify what you are doing” line in your original post made it sound like a rather dishonest question.

+1 to what Robert just said…

And to hippie sissy prius boy, I love that you take time out of your day to worry about me. It makes me feel all important and stuff… :smiley: Kumbaya brother! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;32570]+1 to what Robert just said…

And to hippie sissy prius boy, I love that you take time out of your day to worry about me. It makes me feel all important and stuff… :smiley: Kumbaya brother! :p[/QUOTE]

Hate to burst your bubble but it ain’t you I’m worries about. It’s the environment I’m worked about with people like u manning the boats.

hey prius: I take the historical view as is my nature.
I personally agree that oil/fossil fuels are not the long term answer to our energy needs, but we all (should) deal with the real politik. ergo, I happily work in today’s oil & gas exploration & development industry because it allows me to fulfill my personal goals: international travel, money, no “work” per se as I love what I do, meeting cool people, learning new things, and best of all spending much of my time out on the blue oceans. bonus: it keeps energy flowing which - as of today - runs our less then perfect world.
my great great (great?) grandfather (Captain Luke Buddington) perhaps had the same thoughts as he sailed around the world harpooning whales for the New London, Connecticut, whale oil industry. maybe he had an idea that what he did was “not quite the thing”, but that was the world he lived in at that moment in time and it allowed him to (hopefully) achieve his own goals.
who knows what the future will bring? but until that future comes, I will be happy and clear of conscience knowing that I am fulfilling my own goals and giving society what it requires.
oh, I think this is the part where I’m suppose to close this post with a witty yet scathing anti hippie prius comment. hmmm … damn. got nothing. sorry.